Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new battery for Bike. But oddly, the AGM Yuasa says they ship the acid with the battery for the buyer to fill and charge.

I thought the AGMs were sealed and charged from the get-go.

Last battery was a cheapie gel battery which ran dry pretty quickly so I had to open it up and fill the cells with water. Second time I did that, (about a week ago) seems to have killed it. Or, maybe it was just its' time, as it was 18 months old.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,832 Posts
every AGM battery I have seen, is sealed at the factory.

all of these are sealed.

over the years, I have bought a Big Crank and a Motobat, both gave excellent service.

·
Administrator
26,306 Posts
I have got them both ways, already filled and shipped with the acid separate.

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
Dennis,
It comes like a kit and easy as can be. The acid is like a 6 pack that you just insert in the open battery. When all the acid is in the battery you just push in the seal capss and charge. The included instructions make it very clear with pictures.I buy the dry ones so I can save the $10. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
The Big Crank is a Deka battery, sold by Battery Mart, it is made my East-Penn Manufacturing in Lyon Station, PA. Very good batteries.

The following one fits the GL1500.

It is also sold by a few other battery outlets with different names..

Sealed and ready to install when received.
So you can say you have been sitting on top of a "Big Crannk?" :oops:

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
This is my next battery.Earthx

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I have the Yuasa batts in both bikes and can state that they are the best batteries I have used. They can sit for weeks and not lose very much charge.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have had them come both ways also. The AGM for my quad was already filled and ready to go. The one for my Duel Sport I had to add the acid.

If you get one that you have to fill, put the acid in and seal it up. Let it soak for about a half hour to an hour. Then add a 1 amp charge for about 12-14 hours depending on the battery size. Most people trash a brand new battery because they do not follow the directions and let the acid soak in to the mat before they put the battery on charge. Then they put it on a high amp charger to speed up the process.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, okay. I went through Amazon, mostly because nobody locally had one.

Thanks to all for your aide.
amazon.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
Never seen a AGM that was user openable. I've looked at a few but Odyssey is what I used. The PC680 I put in the trike in 2004 was removed just due to age in 2016, I put it in my 1200 then … and I sold it in 2019, it's still going now with new owner.

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
What country are Yuasa`s made in? Japan?
They are made in the yUSA. :)
Yuasa. It's worded oddly...says it's sealed, then that it's shipped dry. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.
They are sealed when you put the caps on. Not vented like a conventional battery.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,832 Posts
Dave,
I agree with you.
Just a single bolt that goes into the post.
I like the side mount type, makes them easier to get to w/o removing a lot of hardware.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've gotten pretty good service out of Yuasa batteries in the past, but around here, two years is about the max.

However that is for the Yumicron, unsealed type. Haven't had much luck with sealed batteries in this heat. The acid always seems to find a way out.

At any rate, the battery is now on the bench with the acid being added.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
If the Yuasa battery is made in Pennsylvania, they are probably made at the Deka plant also. I have gotten great service out of Deka batteries also. Someone recommended Interstate batteries to me once. When I checked out countries of origin on their motorcycle batteries I was seeing made in Thailand, and Vietnam. Batteries Plus handles Deka batteries also.
gumbyred

1 - 20 of 89 Posts