Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Back when Bike was new, Interstate brand was also from Pennsylvania, as was the Die Hard brand.

I suspect that, over the years, many companies have bought from Yuasa and slapped their own label on.

Anyway, it has been on the charger now for 8 hours and is still in charge mode. I'll keep and eye on it until it goes to float mode.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
There are only 2 major lead acid manufacturers in the US, Johnson Controls and Exide. Yuasa batteries are built by Yuasa -Exide. .Part of which was previously owned by........Fruit of the Loom. :)

·
Administrator
26,336 Posts
I suspect that, over the years, many companies have bought from Yuasa and slapped their own label on.
That is common practice for many things. You think Sears actually makes anything?

Reactions: redwing52

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
That is common practice for many things. You think Sears actually makes anything?
Or NAPA or many others..Sooo many businesses just rebox other's products and charge for the name. Guess who makes Maytag washers. Whirlpool. They also make Sears Kenmore. MTD makes Murray lawnmowers along with the low end John Deere now. sad.

·
Administrator
26,336 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The new battery settled in at about the 12 hour mark and is now coasting.

I think there was an incident, last summer, that some fool left the ignition in the accessory position for a couple of days, leading to a very dead battery. The bike wouldn't jump from a static car battery and had to be jumped from a runner. Now, I suspect my regulator is toast, as the bike was charging the battery at over 15 volts.

Is it possible that the 15volt charging was due to the old battery being near death, or should I just start lookin' for a regulator?
Or...would it be safe to run the new battery a couple of minutes to check the charge rate now?

·
Administrator
26,336 Posts
Run it with the new battery and check the volts. A bad battery can cause weirdness.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
The new battery settled in at about the 12 hour mark and is now coasting.

I think there was an incident, last summer, that some fool left the ignition in the accessory position for a couple of days, leading to a very dead battery. The bike wouldn't jump from a static car battery and had to be jumped from a runner. Now, I suspect my regulator is toast, as the bike was charging the battery at over 15 volts.

Is it possible that the 15volt charging was due to the old battery being near death, or should I just start lookin' for a regulator?
Or...would it be safe to run the new battery a couple of minutes to check the charge rate now?
Yup, If a battery has an open or even a high resistance internal connection the regulator will run wide open.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Back to the original poster's concerns, Yuasa offers AGM batteries that come filled and sealed from their factory. They also offer batteries with the part number having a "BS" on the end. This stands for "Bottle Supplied" allowing the purchaser to add the supplied acid when they are ready to initialize and install said battery. Once the acid is added and properly charged for the first time, then it can be capped and installed. It doesn't need further servicing by topping off with distilled water like we used to do. This way the consumer knows that the battery hasn't been factory sealed and sitting on a dealers shelf for six months. That said, Yuasa is a great choice, but I have been using AGM batteries made by East Penn Mfg (USA) for many years in my two wings. They are labeled under names such as Deka, Big Crank, Duracell (available at Sam's Club) and the private label of several auto parts stores such as NAPA. I've had great service from them.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Back to the original poster's concerns, Yuasa offers AGM batteries that come filled and sealed from their factory. They also offer batteries with the part number having a "BS" on the end. This stands for "Bottle Supplied" allowing the purchaser to add the supplied acid when they are ready to initialize and install said battery. Once the acid is added and properly charged for the first time, then it can be capped and installed. It doesn't need further servicing by topping off with distilled water like we used to do. This way the consumer knows that the battery hasn't been factory sealed and sitting on a dealers shelf for six months. That said, Yuasa is a great choice, but I have been using AGM batteries made by East Penn Mfg (USA) for many years in my two wings. They are labeled under names such as Deka, Big Crank, Duracell (available at Sam's Club) and the private label of several auto parts stores such as NAPA. I've had great service from them.
Another one of those things that seem to stick in my head but I am not sure of. That is I thought you can not ship a battery that has acid in it using USPS but the plastic holder is approved. Not sure and just a useless piece of trivia if right. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
I have had 2 Duracell batts. Both conked out right after 2 years. Of course the warranty is 2 yrs. Now that I think about them they never held a charge like the Yuasa batts do.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well, I checked with the bike running and it was still charging @ 15.5+ volts. I didn't run it very long, maybe 2 minutes max, but I think the regulator is toast.

I thought I had one off the '85 but can't find it now, so, maybe I sold it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not sure that USPS will ship a filled battery or not, but I've gotten my filled, charged, and ready to install AGM batteries from batterymart.com by either UPS or Fedex. BTW, I keep my batteries on a maintainer if not riding for a while. I replace them after six or seven years as preventative maintenance.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Well, I checked with the bike running and it was still charging @ 15.5+ volts. I didn't run it very long, maybe 2 minutes max, but I think the regulator is toast.

Takke a wire and connect it from the battery positive to the black wire right at the regulator. Then check voltage again. Not to worry about 15.5 volts. It would take a toll over the course of a year or years but short term insignificant. See what you get when you jump the black sensing wire to the battery direct. A weak ignition switch connection etc. can cause that. There is a work around if that fixes the issue./ Good luck Dennis.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,472 Posts

Dennis, if you gonna look for the OEM Shindengen try Regulator Rectifier.com.. They used to have a live chat that saved you from looking it up! Also make SURE you say yer wanting the Shindengen model!!!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Dennis, if you gonna look for the OEM Shindengen try Regulator Rectifier.com.. They used to have a live chat that saved you from looking it up! Also make SURE you say yer wanting the Shindengen model!!!
Thanks, I think that's where I got the one I'm replacing. Can't find the site though. Do you have a link?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for a new battery for Bike. But oddly, the AGM Yuasa says they ship the acid with the battery for the buyer to fill and charge.

I thought the AGMs were sealed and charged from the get-go.

Last battery was a cheapie gel battery which ran dry pretty quickly so I had to open it up and fill the cells with water. Second time I did that, (about a week ago) seems to have killed it. Or, maybe it was just its' time, as it was 18 months old.
I bought one of those from Yuasa 2 years ago and I was quite surprised when I opened the package and found that I had to fill the battery myself. It was a well designed kit, filled all of the cells simultaneously in a minute. Battery has performed well so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Back when Bike was new, Interstate brand was also from Pennsylvania, as was the Die Hard brand.

Anyway, it has been on the charger now for 8 hours and is still in charge mode. I'll keep and eye on it until it goes to float mode.
When I worked for Sears Automotive in 1980, the DieHard batteries were delivered by Johnson Controls. Boy I hated to work on delivery day--even the sales guys had to help unload the trucks!

21 - 40 of 90 Posts