Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,916 Posts
I was just commenting on the number of turns. I don't think the pilot screw setting can cause your problem.

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
647 Posts
I have had problems with bench synced carbs on the in line fours where the set up is totally wrong and either too closed or too open to allow a start, just a comment as i have never had a set of wing carbs that far apart!

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
I was just commenting on the number of turns. I don't think the pilot screw setting can cause your problem.
No, it won't, may not idle smooth but it should start .

·
Registered
1977 Goldwing
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Are you sure you set the floats properly? Never saw Randakks video but I assume it has detailed instructions.
Yes, I took care in setting them according the video. Thanks for the question though. I thought about draining the bowls and seeing if that helps initially, What can stop fuel flowing other than the float needles and air/fuel needle jets? I want to try to eliminate all possibilities before I remove the carbs, again.

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
What can stop fuel flowing other than the float needles and air/fuel needle jets? I want to try to eliminate all possibilities before I remove the carbs, again.
Plugged passages.

Reactions: Road Ranger

·
Registered
1977 Goldwing
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Plugged passages.
What passages that would block fuel from all four plugs? I removed all the jets, cleaned, blew air through them, cleaned all the other parts and reinstalled correctly with new gaskets, etc. Any harm in shooting a small blast of air through the air hoses? Trying to think of everything before pull the carbs again and start over which I'm not really looking forward to do.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Have u tried to squirt som fuel in the air box to see if it would run,could be it’s not turning enough rpms to suck up gas

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
What passages that would block fuel from all four plugs? I removed all the jets, cleaned, blew air through them, cleaned all the other parts and reinstalled correctly with new gaskets, etc. Any harm in shooting a small blast of air through the air hoses? Trying to think of everything before pull the carbs again and start over which I'm not really looking forward to do.
Did you clean and confirm all the passages leading from the jets into the carb bodies are clear? Like the passage from the low speed jet to the mixture adjustment hole for instance.

·
Registered
1977 Goldwing
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Did you clean and confirm all the passages leading from the jets into the carb bodies are clear? Like the passage from the low speed jet to the mixture adjustment hole for instance.
Yes I cleaned every passageway with carb and brake cleaner with pipe cleaners and compressed air. I just tried spraying fuel down the intake while cranking it w/o success. I then sprayed fuel down the plug holes w/o success. Not even one tease. And still no fuel to the plugs. I've got new coils and wires which I'll install but I still need to figure out what's blocked to all four plugs. I checked the carb bowls and all had fuel. Open to any suggestions before pulling the carbs again.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
A couple of times people have asked if you tried squirting fuel into the intake but you've not answered them.
It seems like a logical test.

Another thing that puzzles me is; if you have fuel in the bowls, how can it not be getting through the jets into the cylinder?
A very low fuel level in the bowl? How did you set those floats?

And, have you confirmed that the linkage is working correctly?

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
Yes I cleaned every passageway with carb and brake cleaner with pipe cleaners and compressed air. I just tried spraying fuel down the intake while cranking it w/o success. I then sprayed fuel down the plug holes w/o success. Not even one tease. And still no fuel to the plugs. I've got new coils and wires which I'll install but I still need to figure out what's blocked to all four plugs. I checked the carb bowls and all had fuel. Open to any suggestions before pulling the carbs again.
I asked before if it has compression, that is pretty critical since it won't suck fuel into the cylinders if it doesn't have compression.

·
Registered
1977 Goldwing
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
A couple of times people have asked if you tried squirting fuel into the intake but you've not answered them.
It seems like a logical test.

Another thing that puzzles me is; if you have fuel in the bowls, how can it not be getting through the jets into the cylinder?
A very low fuel level in the bowl? How did you set those floats?

And, have you confirmed that the linkage is working correctly?
I tried this yesterday by spraying fuel in the intake and also in each cylinder. I used a mister bottle and am wondering if that was enough. I'm old enough to remember squirting starter fluid into a car carb to boost it to start. Maybe I need to "squirt" more fuel and see if that helps. I took care in setting the floats per Randak's video. I used a small micrometer with the entire unit standing on end and bending the tab that controls the distance the float drops. I think they're pretty close.

·
Registered
1977 Goldwing
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I asked before if it has compression, that is pretty critical since it won't suck fuel into the cylinders if it doesn't have compression.
I will do a compression check today and reply. Thanks to all who have replied. Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
967 Posts
I tried this yesterday by spraying fuel in the intake and also in each cylinder. I used a mister bottle and am wondering if that was enough. I'm old enough to remember squirting starter fluid into a car carb to boost it to start. Maybe I need to "squirt" more fuel and see if that helps. I took care in setting the floats per Randak's video. I used a small micrometer with the entire unit standing on end and bending the tab that controls the distance the float drops. I think they're pretty close.
About 2 full eyedroppers of fuel into each sparkplug hole and thread the plugs back in. If there's compression and spark, it will run about a second or two on that fuel.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Sounds like you have no spark. Like has been said, it would run for a bit even with the carbs removed, if you squirt a little gas in the intakes or cylinders, as long as it has compression and spark.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
I tried this yesterday by spraying fuel in the intake and also in each cylinder. I used a mister bottle and am wondering if that was enough. I'm old enough to remember squirting starter fluid into a car carb to boost it to start. Maybe I need to "squirt" more fuel and see if that helps.
Squirting into the cylinder is a waste of time and fuel. You need to squirt some fuel, or starter fluid, into the intake as you push the start button and the engine spins. And yes squirt! Misting is for house plants.

·
Registered
1977 Goldwing
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I will do a compression check today and reply. Thanks to all who have replied. Greatly appreciated.
Compression test, 90# on all cylinders, keep in mind I bought new in '77 and has only 50K miles. Always ran well until gas issues and starting last September. I pulled carb unit and rebuilt using Randaks parts and video. Followed every step and am confident I assembled it correctly. New cables and installed correctly and linkage is correct. I shot and ounce of fuel in each cylinder and got a blip. I then again removed filter and sprayed fuel down intake. No fire and no fuel at plugs. Next step?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
90 pounds is too low. Even with the cold motor it should be higher. Did you have the throttle wide open?

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
Compression test, 90# on all cylinders, keep in mind I bought new in '77 and has only 50K miles. Always ran well until gas issues and starting last September. I pulled carb unit and rebuilt using Randaks parts and video. Followed every step and am confident I assembled it correctly. New cables and installed correctly and linkage is correct. I shot and ounce of fuel in each cylinder and got a blip. I then again removed filter and sprayed fuel down intake. No fire and no fuel at plugs. Next step?
An ounce of fuel is about 100 times too much, amazed you didn't get a hydro lock. Are you sure the plugs are firing & in time?

·
Registered
1977 Goldwing
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I also pumped in 15psi into the carbs using the output line of the fuel pump, held steady. Not sure if that means the carbs are pretty well sealed, no leaks.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts