Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just got back from another planet. My first time there - it is called Salt Lake City.

We delayed takeoff on our connection in Phoenix because of heavy rain, the weight of the packed plane and the short runway in San Luis Obispo. When they figured it out - 2 hours later we circled my home airport 3 times because the pilot could not see the runway, weather was whipping across the runway and finally welanded - hard. So hard that my fellow business traveller - who is a smoker - went outside for a smoke and was there to have a conversation with avisibly shaken pilot and two stewardesses. Well, he got us down safe - so I'm glad of that.

Since I returned it has been raining. Good for this drought stricken area - except in Southern Cal we are getting drownings as flashfloods occur due to the extensive burned out vegetation from this past summer's wildfires - just like what is happening in Australia right now. Today it is snowing down to the 2000 foot level here on the Central California Coast. Roads are slick from oil and other residue and now potential icing in several areas - glad we have "Global Warming" otherwise I might not get to ride tomorrow!!! :action:

The way we are having these wild weather swings you might get the idea these are the end of days!! But this "Global Warming" thing is looking less amd less... "warm". :cheeky1:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Had you never met Al Gore......

If younever heard of him.....

Never read about him.......

Never saw him on T.V........

and then you met him, and he tried to sell you a used bike.... would you buy it?

I rest my case.....

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,203 Posts
imported post

Yep, that's why I voted for the least damaging soul (I thought then) that time.

And, I not any too sure that mr. gore could have done any worse than what we got.

That's as far as I'm carrying that thought.

Global Warming. Well, if you look at the global historical records, we've had hot centuries and frozen centuries. Mankind just has too short of a memory span.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I believe the results of our last election to be calamitous, and marks the true end of the U.S. being a great nation; we are now undisputably a second class country.... and falling fast.....

My uncle Mike, a USMC Sgt at Iwo Jima, and my USN father, kamikazied at the battle of Okinawa, are spinning in their graves...... and I'm sorry, old ones, I am sorry.....

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

Here in Indianapolis, IN they were having a meeting on global warming but had to postpone it due to the 13 inches of snow that fell.

Can you say irony.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,203 Posts
imported post

My daughter is in Bluffton, just south of Fort Wayne, Indiana.

She had to call her uncle to bring a tractor over and get her car unstuck from her own driveway.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

I'm not near smart enough to understand Global Warming; all I can do is listen to those who know something about it. Clearly it is more than just Al Gore talking.

Each of us can have our own opinions and respect each other while doing so. If human behavior has a detrimental effect on the planet, whether it be using motor oil to kill the fence row or burning fossil fuels, I would like to be a part of the solution (however I still want to drive the Wing to Colorado this summer!)

Again, I don't know if humans are causing warming or not; but I'm all for the smart people looking into it. There seem to be some intelligent people on both sides of the issue talking reasonably.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

There is no doubt that we are messing up the environment, and we need to get a handle on it and make some changes to at least halt or slow the damage we are doing until we come up with better solutions. I'm not a believer in the global warning hipe, all I know is that the earth has been going through changes longer than any of us can remember.

I'm even more worried about the wildlife that we are displacing every year as we humans continue to expand. I'm much more heart broken when I see a coyote that has been hit while crossing the highway than I am if I see a car that has splatted its occupants into a wall.

We just have to deal with it all!

Thank you for reading my rant! :(

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

I am proud of the internet so I can talk to you people, now lay off Al!

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Hey CJ,
I'm not so hot on Al Gore, just wanting to know what others who are in the field are saying. I truly don't know, just wanting to learn.

Chuck

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

The Lake wrote:
Hey CJ,
I'm not so hot on Al Gore, just wanting to know what others who are in the field are saying. I truly don't know, just wanting to learn.

Chuck
Sorry.... overreacted, I did..... please accept my apology....

I just can't abide those who don't practice what they preach.... just can't abide it.... never have been able to...... we have ski patrollers who never get tobaggon qualified, they become "auxiliaries" and sit around inside criticizingwe patrollerswho are actually out there! Somehow, they seem to gravitate to positions of high power and leadership! A ski patroller who won't pull a tobaggon! Kind of like a virgin prostitute!

I feel the same way about trailer queens, not guys who sometimes use trailers to get to riding spots, I mean guys who always trailer, who take their new bike with all of 200 miles on it to a rally, and then sit on it. Drives me nuts! Makes me spit,it do...!

But, Lake.... sorry, really.....

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

Whether you believe in the Bible or not there are some good messages there. One is that we should be stewards of the earth. Use it but not waste it.

Burning stuff warms the earth up but not burning stuff makes us freeze to death and kills progress.

Who wants to live in a cave with a witch doctor doing your medicals? X-ray machines are made using heat (Steel, lead, glass etc). Would you rather just guess what's happening inside you?

Maybe it's time for Mr. Gore to share his abode with a few less fortunate souls.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

The Lake wrote:
I'm not near smart enough to understand Global Warming; all I can do is listen to those who know something about it. Clearly it is more than just Al Gore talking.

Each of us can have our own opinions and respect each other while doing so. If human behavior has a detrimental effect on the planet, whether it be using motor oil to kill the fence row or burning fossil fuels, I would like to be a part of the solution (however I still want to drive the Wing to Colorado this summer!)

Again, I don't know if humans are causing warming or not; but I'm all for the smart people looking into it. There seem to be some intelligent people on both sides of the issue talking reasonably.

Chuck
The sad thing is anymore...Science can lean to whomever has the deepest pockets..:(

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,919 Posts
imported post

There was a global warming conference in the Buffalo, New York area that fought below zero weather.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/570235.html

Frigid temperatures take WNY by surprise
By Gene Warner
NEWS STAFF REPORTER

Talk about great timing.

Buffalo State College hosts the national teach-in on Global Warming Situations today — a day the local temperature bottomed out at minus 6 degrees.

No evidence of global warming here, at least not this morning, when unofficial reports to the National Weather Service listed temperatures as low as 9 degrees below zero elsewhere in Erie County.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
imported post

My god,i thought i finally stopped seeing the name Al Gore...

When earth finally kills off man kind it will be fine.Are people that arrogant that they think we can destroy the planet.They dont have to worry,we will end up killing ourselves off first.Look at Chernobyl...Earth went back to normal..same will happen when we finally take ourselves out..lol..we all die earth is fine...plus are we not due for another ice age anyway.

People seemt to forget to look at the past to figure out the future.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:

Sorry.... overreacted, I did..... please accept my apology....

I just can't abide those who don't practice what they preach.... just can't abide it.... never have been able to...... we have ski patrollers who never get tobaggon qualified, they become "auxiliaries" and sit around inside criticizingwe patrollerswho are actually out there! Somehow, they seem to gravitate to positions of high power and leadership! A ski patroller who won't pull a tobaggon! Kind of like a virgin prostitute!

I feel the same way about trailer queens, not guys who sometimes use trailers to get to riding spots, I mean guys who always trailer, who take their new bike with all of 200 miles on it to a rally, and then sit on it. Drives me nuts! Makes me spit,it do...!

But, Lake.... sorry, really.....

CJ, all is good; I appreciate your passion and the courage to live them!

Chuck

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

For anyone interested in some varied reading on the subject of global warming/cooling, here is a selection of points of view that will leave you reeling. I've waded through all of this and a lot more besides. I am really confused now, and as a scientist by training and experience I should be able to make some sense of this stuff.

It does make for fascinating reading, especially the first one.

http://www.kusi.com/weather/colemanscorner/38574742.html

http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/ice_ages.html

http://www.neatorama.com/2008/08/26/forget-global-warming-the-ice-age-is-coming/

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/resources/askjack/2004-01-08-answers-warming-gulf-stream_x.htm

http://www.world-science.net/othernews/081217_warming.htm

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0130-11.htm

http://www.iceagenow.com/

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/11/081112-ice-age-global-warming.html

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,203 Posts
imported post

I took out the one warmer thought on Al...

Let's keep it in line of good discussions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.