Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just got my engine started after 20 years. :cool:

I changed all the plugs and rebuild the carbs with Randakk's kit. I was following his tips on how to get an engine going after a long layup.

When I was running the engine with the oil/atf mix at 4k for 10 minutes I noticed that the headers just under the engine were glowing red hot. Does this sound normal? Perhaps running a bit lean, but I'm not sure how to adjust the carbs for that.

I also noticed that bank 1 only seemed to have 1 of the cylinders running at idle. It was much different sounding than the other bank with less exhaust flow. It did seem to be running ok when I gave it some throttle though.

Any thoughts on how to get this thing "tuned" properly would help. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

Glowing front pipes on any engine is usually down to over advanced ignition also lean mixture, ignition is the favorite though

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Is there a procedure for checking/adjusting my timing?

I would also like to find out how to do a valve adjustment if there are any instructions anywhere.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

Sitting this long, for sure change your timing belts, tires, etc. The rubber parts deteriorate with age and can cause major engine failure along with safety issues.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Manual downloads can be found on lots of places.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Ok, I've got the manuals. It doesn't look that hard to do the "tune up" for this bike. I'll give it all a try this weekend when I get some time and see how it all goes. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I couldn't tell you. I guess I'll figure it out when I pull the covers off. I'm guessing it still has points though. The bike has 40k on it but hasn't been driven since '87. The origional owner did put a bunch of upgrades on it though.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

I never had trouble with my (new) GL1000, but in my experience, the early 'Wings had a mechanical advance mechanism, which remained even if one would upgrade from the points to the after-market electronic ignition kits.

I did have considerable experience with early '70s Moto Guzzi 750/850 cc V-twins, and small block Chevy motors. They had automotive style distributors...and the mechanical advance could rather easily rust up and seize without proper, regularmaintenance. Most often, these rigid mechanisms would set-up in the idle (or static) position, causing a "retarded" spark at higher RPMs. A quick clue for me would be excessively blue header pipes.

If you just grab thepoint cam/mag-trigger and turn it, it should move freely for ~20[suP]o[/suP] - 30[suP]o[/suP],and return freely upon letting go, with noticeable advance-spring resistance.If you notice a covering of reddishdust over much of the point housing internals...it could indicate rusting from the advance ass'y. :waving:

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

You know...I have seen a lot of motorcycle engine header pipes glow red. All you have to do is run the engine at a high idle, 4000 rpm is even better. Do it for about 10 minutes and in a dimly lit garage or something you will see the headers glowing. The exhaust gas is very hot and with no air circulation the pipes will glow...

Not syaing there could be something wrong with your timing but.....

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Is the running of oil/atf mix at 4k for 10 minutes a test to see if the timing belts will break?

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

No, it's a clean the valve train and piston tops test. :)

If you're worried about your timing belts, or do now know when the last time they were changed was, it's time to change them now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.