Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have just stripped the plastics off my 86 1200 and need to fix a crack in the fairing. Any idea's on what glue to use for this job? Going to try to glue a peice on stiffing plastic on the inside of the fairing behind the crack..Then plastic bondo the out side and repaint the crack area..Thx for the insight and help.

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts
imported post

Black pvc cement.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Fiberglass pieces with ABS glue. You can find it at Autozone and I am sure more places carry it.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Buy a piece of black ABS pipe, and some ABS cement. Use a rasp to file the ABS pipe into shavings, and when you have a good pile of them, mix them with the ABS cement until you have a thick paste. Slop the paste anywhere on the fairing you want to fix/reinforce. It will cure into a solid piece of ABS plastic, completely bonded with the original fairing.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean...

Awesome advice. Abs glue with a matching plastic filler... should work!

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Another good cement is Loctite's epoxy for plastic. Follow the directions and it wiil fix any plastic. I used micro balloons to thicken it.Micoballons are avail. from model airplane suppliers. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

3M makes a flexable repair kit. It's a 2 part epoxy. I glued apiece of metal into my GL1200 fairing for support. Most automotive parts stores can get it. Also most auto paint stores will have it.
Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.