imported post

I was hoping to go to Nebraska, Oklahoma soon

Need a place to stop in Kansas?

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
imported post

Hi, Brojees. I'm still trying to decide. But if I go that way, will let you know. Don't know if the "ole" bod is up to it. Might be pretty gruelling. I was thinking of looking up The Hicks, north of Grand Prarie, then straight south. I'm sure wondering about gas prices in the next cpl mos.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
imported post

JDC. The "true racing" alts, at the Powermaster versions, apparently have a fairly high voltage. Like 14.5 or more. But I'll let you know how this one works. I think this one is even smaller than the one on the link you provided.That one says 8.5 lbs. This one claims to be 6 lbs. Regarding the orig stator, I wished I had taken some pictures before I unwound it. I was going to rewind it, but the more I thought about it, the more I disliked the whole oem thing. So I removed the rotor (Magnet), put it back together. Like I indicated before, engine sure seems to whip up quicker. Probably some oil drag involved, too. Also reduced the overall weight by about 10 lbs, or more. The stator + rotor weight twice what the Denso weighs. + less heat generated back there! Then there's a little more weight savings by removing the orig. reg. and wiring. But I sure miss the fresh air vent on the left! Wind wings are a must, for sure. Oh, and did I mention, the starter seems to crank it faster. Also, not pumpingfull current all the time, either. BTW, my Geo alt doesn't have that "s" terminal. I did hook up the idiot light circuit temporarily, and it doesn't seem to work. So maybe there's something partially wrong with the reg. Sure are a lot of +'s, now that am rambling along. nough said ;)

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger, the alternator that I use has considerably more segments than the regular Denso alternator so it effectively switches more often at the same RPM, but, unfortunately it's about 4 times more expensive than the regular car type Denso alternator. It also has heavier stator and rotorwindings and can be made to output 90 amps. reliably, yet, it's still the same external size as the regular tiny Denso.

This is the alternator that I had offered in my conversion kit, but, I came across so many guys who couldn't understand the technical differences and price spread between the car alternator and this one that I finally gave up on trying to sell it anymore. But, I can tell you that it works great.

Tip: If you're using the Denso alternator, you can pick up a few horsepower for passing by connecting a microswitch in series with the field exciter wire to the alternator which will turn off the alternator under full acceleration then resume charging when the throttle is rolled back from full.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Bob,

In looking at your map, I am right at the intersection of US 69 and US 54.

Not fancy, just a little cottage; but a bed and warm meal with protected parking for your wing.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
imported post

Brojees. I can't find 69 on the map. I find 169 and 54. Are you north of Tulsa?

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
imported post

Brojees. I found 69 on another map. Now if the weather will improve. How's it been there. Looks like Denver area is getting it. Was thinking of going that way. But I might do Salt Lake,Cheyenne, then down to Grand Island. Then thru Kansas, heading to Tulsa area. Hopefully sometime in late April.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

This thread seems to have died. I am doing the conversion myself and trying to decide on the best alternator for the job. Can anyone update on what they have found for their conversion?

Any recommendations now for the BEST alternator to charge at idle and be a good fit for the conversion?

Thanks,

Harry

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

Has anyone used this alternator
MINI RACING ALTERNATOR DENSO 1 WIRE/ 6LBS

Selling new on ebay and says it starts charging at 900 RPM. with a 50 AMP output.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
imported post

Harry. That's the one used. I don't think it's any better than the Sprint alt.I chopped up, and used as the orig.alt. It may indeed start charging at 900 rpm, albeit only a little. Doesn't quite keep up on my limited, at 1000 rpm, but at 1200, it does. And that's with a 3 3/4 pully on the crank, and a 2" on the alt. I had to take it apart, to hold field, while I broke loose the nut. I had to change from serpintine to "v" pulley .The stamped air director/protector cover on back had dings, and a quicky paint job on it, definitely not NEW! It wasn't too pretty inside, altho it had new brushes, and regulator. The stator and field windings were "old looking", and there was quite a bit of bead blast sand in the windings, etc. If you buy it, might have a alt shop check it out. It's still a pretty good deal. Vic is the one to talk to, about more output at low speeds. Apparently, he has some kind of industrial unit, that outputs more at idle.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

I USED THE GEO METRO ALTERNATOR. I GOT IT OFF EBAY FOR TWENTY BUCKS INCLUDING SHIPPING. I TOOK IT TO THE SHOP TO CHECK IT OUT BEFORE INSTALLING. CHECKED OUT FINE. THE ALT. PULLEY IS TWO INCHES AND I USED A THREE INCH PULLEY ON THE CRANK. IT PUTS OUT 12VOLTS @ 1000 RPM. @1100 IT GOES TO 13.5 AND STAYS THERE. A SMALLER ALTERNATOR WOULD BE NICE SO YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO CARVE ON THE CASE TO MAKE IT WORK. MY MICRO-V BELT IS FROM NAPA. 30INCH BELT. GOOD LUCK TO YOU. DEANO

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
imported post

Deano. I forgot to state my figures :gunhead: I'm doing 12.6 at 1000, 13.8 at 1200, 13.9 at 2500 >, Which is acceptable. I also disconnected the regulator of orig stator, because of it's regulation method. It could conceiveably tru to sink the "EXCESS" of the Denso, After attaining the regulator setting. I re-routed the stator regulator wiring down into the upper rad hose area, so all I have to do is remove the fairing left lower, and plug it in, if I need the spare. So, in that event, I just leave the connector hooked up in front of the battery. Good luck all, and would it quit raining. Just pouring here, today. Again! W.M. says this weekend will reach 80's. Hope so.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
imported post

OOPS! Welcome, Deano. Lots of good stuff here. I'm sure looking forward to meeting these guys.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Question? Did you guys make up your own brackets etc. There's a guy by the name of Don Piggott who posts to the GWRRA boards, that makes and sells the neccessary brackets and guidance for doing this job.Everyone who has dealt with him has good things to say.My 84 Aspy still has the origonal stator, I've installed the EC harness but am just waiting for the day when you know:(.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I made my own hardwarebecause it's a fairly simple job, but, Don's kit works great if you don't have tools and a welder.

I could ask Don to bring some kits with him if any of you guys who are coming to the Classic Wings get together and ride in Leamington on July 23rd are interested in his kit. That would at least save you a lot of shipping andcustoms expense.

Vic

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

Will number 8 grade bolt be strong enough to support torque on end of crankshaft and pulley, could not find case hardened bolt the correct size

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

MINE SEEMS TO BE DOING WELL. I INSTALLED IT IN THE WINTER OF 06. MORE THAN TWENTY K ON IT. MY CRANK PULLEY CAME LOOSE LAST YEAR SO I REMADE MY PULLEY AND ADAPTOR. USED IMPACT WRENCH TO TIGHTEN IT. ALTERNATOR IS TWO INCH PULLEY AND CRANK IS THREE INCH.

MADE MY OWN BRACKETS. GM IS TIGHT FIT BUT WORKS WELL.

DEAN COLLIER

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

3 3/4" main and 1 3/4" idler two grove pulleys on a self exciting racing alternator, I used to use the Mitsubishi alternator with a 2" pulley on it instead. Both work fine at idle.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.