Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Why is it that Honda's GN4 motor oil is never included in the almost weekly oil discussions? I've been using it in my 1500 with no apparent problems since I've had it. It is dino juice at a price that's closing in on synthetic prices. Is that the deal or is there more to tell?

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

Now lets see,
Mother Honda recommends GN4,
You the owner buy it and use it,
You the owner have no problems.
Thats good....Right?
You the owner want to save a buck on your engines life blood........be my guest.........go Fish

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

HONDA BIKES USE NEEDLE BEARINGS INSTEAD OF BALL OR ROLLER BEARINGS AND ANYTHING OTHER THAN GN4 WOULD GUNK UP THE ENGINE

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

so what about the millions of wings that use other brands of oil? Are they gonna explode and break down any minute now?.,,

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

NO. JUST BECOME SLUGGISH OVER THE YEARS

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I think the main reason the Honda oil is not used very much, or discussed much is not because it is not a good oil. I am sure it is.

It is the cost, Honda oil is available at dealerships. It will be 6 to 8 dollars per quart.
Naturally if one is going to pay this much for oil, most will go to one of the synthetics.

Basically it boils down to cost. When there are many varied choices available for oils that do as well or a better or equal job, at one third the price, then most of the time Honda Oil sits on the shelf and gets dusty.

Kit

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

As evidence to the contrary SETHAN12, one of our members had to have his engine torn down for trans repair at 120,000 plus miles. He uses Rotella 5w40 synthetic and changes it at 10-12000 miles. The tech told him it's the cleanest engine he has ever seen. There is nothing special about Honda GN4.
See link in my earlier post.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

gee i wonder why the tranny needed repaired. was it due to oil????????????????????????????????????????

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

SETHAN12 wrote:
gee i wonder why the tranny needed repaired. was it due to oil????????????????????????????????????????
NO

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

maybe the 120,000 miles?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

honda is quality build. if my tranny goes at 120,000 miles i will be very disappointed

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

disappointed or not, it happens

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
imported post

Gee,
You're a member here "ONE" day and you want to start off picking a fight.

Good Luck,
I use Rotella.

SETHAN12 wrote:

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

The Honda dealer here uses Suziki oil unless you want the Honda stuff. Reason is that its cheaper. Both oil's met the MA specification.

The oil threads are like others out there, no one answer, many types of oil meet the manufactures requirement. Main thing is change it once & a while.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

Not that this will change anyone's mind--nor is it intended to--but here's another objective study, somewhat dated but still germane:

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm

Interestingly enough, the Honda branded oil finished near the bottom in viscosity retention.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Yea, that Knightrider article is 15 years old, and oil has changed alot it that time. There are oils available now that weren't in exsistance 15 years ago.The only way you'll get an unbiased oil condition report is to pay for it yourself. Any oil being sold will have it's mfgr claim it's the best out there, so how can you tell which one really is? By checking a voa and a uoa.they will tell you what your starting with,and where your at as far as oil life goes, and how your motor is wearing.If your running a synthetic that promises longer then normal oil change intervals, a uoa will tell you if the oil is still doing it's job by its tbn number and metal wear content.Being able to really understand the data in a uoa takes awhile to understand, but will help you choose a lubricant that can be significantly better then what the vehicle mfgr recommends.,,,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.