Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Idid something dumb2 weeks ago and wrecked my 1500. Following a delivery truck on the interstate in rush hour traffic going 55-60, looked to change lanes but other lane was taken. Looked back to see that the truck was no longer doing 60, slammed on the brakes and the last split second before I hitthe truckthe bike went down. Too fast, too close, STUPID!!!

Anyway, upon inspection of the damage the shifter has some play in it. is that normal? Also the rear crash bar jammed up into the saddlebag causing a 3" crack, how could that be repaired without buying a replacement?

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I gotta go to work, so I can't elaborate. But hang tight! There will be lots of help here soon! These folks are the greatest. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

Oh dear, at least you are ok.

The shifter does have some play in it, more so as the oil seal gets older.

You should be able to find a suitable glue to repair crack or get it hot welded.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

This is precisely why splitting lanes/Filtering is so much safer in these conditions. Even in those other 49 states in the US where they do not allow it like California and the rest of the world does, just offsetting yourself from the other cars allows you multiple lines of escape.

As for the bike, I hope you can find the parts you need. try Ebay, they are readily available from trike conversions.

In fact I have a 1500 rear crash bars, tow hitch, and a pair of saddlebags from a friends conversion that I need to sell for him, but they are dark blue from a 99/2000 bike.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

biker4jesus wrote:
...the shifter has some play in it. is that normal?...
> Yes, mine goes up/down aprox 1/8"... They're all like that.

...the rear crash bar jammed up into the saddlebag causing a 3" crack, how could that be repaired without buying a replacement?
> JB-Weld and a patch made from brass sheet works great... Roughen the surfaces initially, using a sandpaper.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

....Also the rear crash bar jammed up into the saddlebag causing a 3" crack, how could that be repaired without buying a replacement?
Black ABS cement.Available at Lowes or Home Depot.

ABS plastic sheets can be used a backing plate for reinforcement.

You can get matching paint in a spray can - Color Rite mail order or local PPG auto paint store....... or abumper sticker can be used to cover the crack.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Glad to see you are all right! Sounds pretty scarry!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

I had a crack in the bottom of my bag, went to lowes picked up some abs glue(not pvc) also picked up a couple of abs couplings as I did not need alot. Ground up the couplings in to fine shaving added the glue and made a paste applyed it to the crack it will melt the two pieces together and also reinforce it. Jb weld or fiberglass just does not hold up as good.My crack is now fixed and I have no problems with it. Good Luck Hal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.