Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
Been playing around with the idea of an on board camera. Bought 2 last year, Contour Roam and a ION Air Pro, both used. They were fairly well. Cant seem to update time/date on the Contour but really no biggy. Found a cool mount that was made and nicely clamps to the lower part of the windscreen allowing the camera to screw on and be secure.

Looking around the other day, looked at some Go Pros. Yikes, tad expensive for what I want to do with it. Found a Campart n Amazon for like $40 with tons of xtras. Got it today, played with it a bit. Not really bad but gets kinda hot but for $40 bucks, going to keep it especially for all the mounts.

Looked some more and found a Go Pro Hero 5 on amazon for $149. Yea, I bought it, especially with amazons excellent return policy. Anyhow, finally to my point and questions, sorry...

I don't wear a helmet, again, sorry. Both the Campart and the Go Pro do not have a mount hole on the bottom like the Countour and ION obviously due to the size. So how do I mount the Go Pro??? The mount I bought for the windshield has a 1/2-20 stud but neither the Campart or Go Pro accept that. I really don't want to wear one of those headbands. Is there a part/adapter that mounts to the camera and then can screw onto the stud??? I did see a video about a guy that drilled a 1/2 hole into the hats brim and then mounted the Go Pro Session to it but nothing I have seen has a mount like that.

Thanx for reading the novel! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Ride safe and be careful...

TJ

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
I have a cheap camera that looks like a GoPro and it came with a lot of accessory mounts. It doesn't have a mounting hole either (1/4 20 BTW, not 1/2 20) but there are stick on mounts with the hole and the waterproof case that has a mounting hole. I Dremmeled a hole in the case that I can plug the charging cord in, the battery doesn't last long.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a cheap camera that looks like a GoPro and it came with a lot of accessory mounts. It doesn't have a mounting hole either (1/4 20 BTW, not 1/2 20) but there are stick on mounts with the hole and the waterproof case that has a mounting hole. I Dremmeled a hole in the case that I can plug the charging cord in, the battery doesn't last long.
Liking the idea of a ram mount ball on the brake side. Then small arm with 1/4-20 not 1/2-20!!! LOL See what it looks like recording through the windscreen. Thanx again. TJ

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
I used to have my video camera mounted on the hand grip....
downside, is the screen must be meticulously clean....
plus the curvature of the screen distorts the view.

tried a Dashcam for one summer, gave up on that.

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
Liking the idea of a ram mount ball on the brake side. Then small arm with 1/4-20 not 1/2-20!!! LOL See what it looks like recording through the windscreen. Thanx again. TJ
I have mine on the clutch side. Not the greatest view through the windshield but it works.

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
You could use some PVC pipe and fittings to create a mount that would attach to a backrest, strap it down to the passenger seat, the trunk's cargo rack (if you have one), etc.. You can come up with a mount that would give you are aerial view looking down on you and the road ahead. Search GOOGLE for DIY GOPRO PVC mounts you can find all sorts of options. PVC and fittings are cheap compared to RAM mounts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts