Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It's in the mid 70'sF/23C here today. Perfect riding weather, and with that thought in mind Ibegan wondering what everyone else considers to cold to ride. Personally, when it gets down in the 30'sF/0C I leave the wing home and take the cage. Fortunately it only gets that cold a few times a year! I ride about 35 miles/52KM each way to work at highway speed of 70mph/112kph and it gets a might chilly on those cold mornings! The only cold weather gear I have is a ski jacket and some good Thinsulate lined leather gloves. Keeping my feet on the floorboards instead of the highway pegs helps keep my feet and legs warm. Closing the faceshield on my full face helmet does a fair job of keeping my head warm. Closing the face shield takes some getting used to though! In the summer, we exceed 100F/37C on a nearly daily basis7 months out of the year it's so hot I leave it open to get as much air as possible.

When I was a kid in Washington state I used to ride (or try) on snow packed dirt trails and parking lots. It was a lot of fun but ALWAYS a painful and bruising experience:gunhead:! The bike I hadback then was a light two stroke Suzuki I could slide around with and have fun! I can't imagine trying to ride my wing in the snow.

Just curious,

Bob

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

It doesn't get too cold very often in Ireland. It rains often and bikers ride in the rain as we are used to it.
Usually down to 1 or 2 degrees C, not much lower than that. We tend to ride in the cold, it's frost that puts me off. I'll ride in any weather except frost and snow.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

I think most of us in Ontario,Canada will be waiting a little longer to get the bikes out. The weather forecast for tonight is a low of -40 with a windchill of -50 dont know about you but I'm going to ride the couch inside by the fire, and leave the wing in storage.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

After 2 weeks of temperatures in the low to mid 70's, winter has decided to return. Didn't make it much past 40 today and tonight is supposed to be in the low 20's.......this far south........that's cold. I'm ready for our "average" temperatures to return which would be around 58-59f for highs.......I can live with that.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

Its not the cold here in Nova Scotia thats the problem. Its the tons of salt they use on the roads. Unless you want to power wash the bike every time you ride it its not worth taking the bike out and subjecting it to the salt.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

At least it doesn't rain here very often. I bought rain gear a year and a half ago and keep it on the bike. I almost used it once! I got caught in a rain storm that dumped about 5 inches of rain. A drop here......5 inches over there another drop........5 inches over that way a drop.......etc. etc.:waving:

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

When the proverbial nuts fall off the brass monkey - then it's too cold!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Well.... -10c is my record

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
imported post

The wind is another factor at this time of year, had planned to make a journey from London to Cork last week, but the storm force winds made it downright dangerous. Besides the ferries all got canceled anyway.:(

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

GreenWing wrote:
The wind is another factor at this time of year, had planned to make a journey from London to Cork last week, but the storm force winds made it downright dangerous. Besides the ferries all got canceled anyway.:(

I've got the same problem with gale force winds force10 at one stage, having purchased a gps, i can't wait to get out on the bike with the female voice telling me to turn left in 300feet, (it took me years to learn metric now Ive got a state of the art

piece of equipment talking to me in imperial measurement.). besides that it will be the best investment Ive made for my bike.

This time last year I was out on the bike traveling over the North of England with no adverse weather other than the cold. I think climate changes are defiantly setting in.

Looking foreword to a break in the weather to getting out

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

When it gets much below 40F (5C) I don't usually take the bike out. I have, however, been caught out while touring in much colder weather... including on ice and snow - not fun!

The electric jacket liner makes a difference, as does a good full-face helmet, neck gator, and good full-coverage riding gear.

When touring I usually camp, but when the weather is wet I'lltry tofind a motel/hotel.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

When I was young and foolish I used to ride a Yamaha 100 two stroke trail bike on the sea ice which was the trail used from the FAA station to the Eskimo villiage of Kotzebue, Alaska. But when snowmobiles (all brands of which are know as Skidoos in NW Alaska) came out that was the end of bike riding in Arctic winters. Actuallyat -20F or colder, it wasn't too bad for traction, pretty much like riding on hard packed sand.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Anything above freezing. I don't much like the thought of hitting an ice patch and dumping.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
Anything above freezing. I don't much like the thought of hitting an ice patch and dumping.
Hey philcsand, :waving:Welcome to the forum. :clapper: Yuch ! !would not be very pleasent. :crying:

:weightlifter::18red: :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Yesterday I was out testing headsets and it ranged right around 0c. Speeds up to 80mph. No problems as long as you wrap for it. Total of 5 hours on the road.

I will break my -10 record if it stays clear.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I'd have to invest too much money in cold weather clothesto ride in the temp zone some of you do! I take the cage if it's anything colder than the 40's f/5 c.The 45 minute ride to work on those cold mornings is about all I can take. Fortunately it rarely gets that cold. Frost is almost unheard of. I had to drive two hours up to the mountains by San Diego to show the kids what snow is!

I had the air conditioner on in the car I was driving at work yesterday! I would have rather been out for a cruise on the wing than working though.:dude:

Thanks for your posts!

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

May your saddle become a breeding ground for a million hungry lice!

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
imported post

Chief43-definitely not a good day to be out on Davis Drive!
I did get an hour last Sunday before the flurries started. I'm assuming that this north wind whipping across my apartment here on Eglinton came from Newmarket.;)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
I had the air conditioner on in the car I was driving at work yesterday! I would have rather been out for a cruise on the wing than working though.:dude:

Thanks for your posts!

Bob
Big deal, I had the AC onriding my bike yesterday!

:jumper:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.