Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had this recently? I'm going in for surgery on my right hand, thus I won't be riding for about 4-6 weeks as per the doctor's instruction.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I've had three surgeries on my right hand, and while in there they cleaned out the carpal tunnel. What are your concerns?
My biggest problem was wiping with my left hand. Maybe start practicing now.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've had three surgeries on my right hand, and while in there they cleaned out the carpal tunnel. What are your concerns?
My biggest problem was wiping with my left hand. Maybe start practicing now.
I'm ahead of you on practicing......Just concerned about the after effects of surgery on my dominate hand. Doctor said my hand will be "useless" for two weeks after & I will be off work 6-8 weeks. Dwsonar, How painful was your hand before & after surgery?....-Rich

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Good luck with the operation Redeye! Now is the time to do it while the weather is cold. You should be ready to ride by early spring. I'm looking at a knee replacement before long so I feel what you're going through.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,527 Posts
I'm gonna take a buddy to the hospital tomorrow so he can have BOTH arms done for the carpal tunnel surgery!! I told him he was an Idiot and wouldn't be able to do anything for 4-6 weeks but he seems to think he'll be back at work in a week or so.... Yeah,,, Right.....

I had heard that he was gonna attempt to drive himself home after the surgury because he didn't have anyone to take him home so I informed him I was gonna be his chauffeur and if he didn't like it I'd kick hind end!!

After the surgery of course, He's bigger than I am!!!!:grin:

But he is well liked at work so a couple of guy's went to work and solved one of the major "cleaning" problems he's gonna encounter!! :cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
No surgery here, BUT...I did have severe Gout in my right wrist for most of the summer. I cannot recall a worse, constant, throbbing pain ever in my life.

Couldn't button my shirts, or jeans. Couldn't get my socks on. Couldn't shift the car transmission, or twist the throttle/grab the brake lever. I moved my wallet to the left pocket. Couldn't brush my hair or my teeth. Couldn't cut my own food. Almost starved trying to get food with the left hand. Couldn't pour coffee water from the carafe into the machine. Couldn't open those "child-proof" pill bottles to take my Gout meds. There's more but this now sounds like a whine...

On the up-side...the left hand CAN be retrained pretty well...given time :waving:

·
Just one of the guys
4,832 Posts
Well Fenderhead, NOTHING hurts like gout. I have it in my foot and it got so bad once I had to have the wife turn off the ceiling fan because the airflow felt like boiling water being poured over it.

As for the tunnel surgery, haven't had it yet but people I know have had good results.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
My wife had it done on her left hand about ten years ago. She was a secretary most of her life, started in the days when typewriter keys needed hammering to get them to work.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I'm ahead of you on practicing......Just concerned about the after effects of surgery on my dominate hand. Doctor said my hand will be "useless" for two weeks after & I will be off work 6-8 weeks. Dwsonar, How painful was your hand before & after surgery?....-Rich
Mine wasn't for CP, just cleaned it out while they were in there. I had a cyst in the palm of my hand that was blocking the nerves. Very painful when I used my hand, but mostly lose of the use of my thumb and the two smaller fingers. Went through it three times, last time about 2002. After, it hurt at times. Like when I'd reach for something, or lift too much. For the most part it wasn't bad. Having my hand back was well worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the surgery was a total sucess. All the horror stories I read about on the internet failed to come true. I have had no after surgery pain in my right hand at all. Doctor says I may go back to work in 2 weeks when the stiches come out. The only bad is learning to function using my left hand only. I don't know how you leftys do it. Thanks for your replies....-Rich

·
Pwhoever
3,338 Posts
I had both hands done but about 6 weeks apart. It was very quick. I had it done at the same time as flexor stenosis (trigger finger) release for my middle finger on both hands. The whole procedure lasted less than a half hour. No real pain. I was even awake while it was done and tried to watch as much as I could see. They only used a local anesthetic on my hands. They offered me a tranquilizer but I declined. I think took my script of hydrocodone at night after the surgery and then one the next day. I didn't need it after that. You can't even tell that it was done because the doc made the incisions along the existing lines of my palm. I did my dominant right hand first and it did take a little getting used to such as wiping but using moist wipes helped out tremendously. It took a while to get the full use and most of the strength back in each hand but after several weeks of therapy, I was in much better shape.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,527 Posts
the surgery was a total sucess. All the horror stories I read about on the internet failed to come true. I have had no after surgery pain in my right hand at all. Doctor says I may go back to work in 2 weeks when the stiches come out. The only bad is learning to function using my left hand only. I don't know how you leftys do it. Thanks for your replies....-Rich

Cool Beans!! :coollep:

My buddy came through with flying colors also!! He was bandaged such that most of his fingers are bare and he appeared to have pretty good dexterity with both hands and will get his bandages/wound packings off Friday! It was kinda funny though... After we got on our way, he said how hungry he was so I stopped and got him a Coke and fries from Wendy's. It was kinda hillarious watching him holding that container of fries in both hands and chowing down!!!!

I was a nice guy and held his coke for him though....:grin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.