Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:congrats:

Every event has it's odd but true things that
happened on the way to or from said events.

Let's enjoy some of those things we usually never
hear or read about because they're forgotten.

:readit:



 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

On the way back from NASSIR 5, while expressway riding, I was folding our camping receipt when a side gust of wind blew it out of my fingers. It fluttered a few times in mid air and I tried to grab it but couldn't. As it fluttered back to Debbie, she also tried to catch it but missed. WELL darn we said, not going to stop just for a receipt, we rode on.

About 5 minutes later an 18 wheeler was passing us on the left and I was putting my toothpick back in my mouth. When I was reaching for the grip for the trucks wind turbulence, if that dog-gone camping receipt didn't fly right back into my hand. I'd swear as how it went into my hand, it was like it was in reverse video mode.

Go figure. :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,265 Posts
imported post

While traveling down Rte CC in MO Jack and I topped a hill and both of our Goldwings quit. never lost electrical power. We sat there for a few minutes while we drank a bottle of water scratching our heads on what just happen. After about 5 minutes we tried to start the bikes and they both fired up and we road the rest of the way home without a problem.



Beware the MO Bermudas Triangle is at Rte CC and Rte C. :ROFL:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
285 Posts
imported post

I rode all the way down without any mishaps. I got to with a mile on home and someone polled out in front of me at cross road. thats the first time the wing ever left 15 feet of tirebrake marks. Just figgers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,614 Posts
imported post

(Initially mistakenlyposted under Snorebabe's acct. That's why the OOOOPS in her post)



Coming home the first day....Friday the 13th.....we were intending to stop in Memphis, TN for the night. The roads and traffic were HORRIBLE in Memphis. Too many people going every direction and driving like crazy folks. The road surfaces were terrible with upheaves and craters. I don't think there was more than 10ft with a level surface. The road system....you gotta go around the block 3 times just to get across the street.

Well needless to say we decided to press on and go a little further since the weather was decent. Trying to get out of Memphis on I-55 doing 70mph and trying not to get run over, the bikes shocks bottoming out and the trailer's bouncing around because of the terrible roads, I hit a crater that shook my bones and my cell phone jumped out of the cradle. As I reached for it with my left hand and trying to watch the traffic/roads, I barely touched it. It fell to my leg and bounced off my knee onto the roadway. I looked in the left side mirror and seen the initial bounce where 2 pieces of my phone came flying up off the road, into the path of my brothers bike/trailer and as he was running it over, more pieces flew up into the path of the tractor-trailer that was behind him.

I did not turn around to try to find it. That would indicate that I wanted to commit suicide trying to search on that interstate. Plus I would have had to spend at least 30 minutes just trying to navigate the city to get back to the spot. I did cuss when it happened. I am positive that it is unusable. I call and it goes straight to voicemail. Luckily I have my old phone that this one replaced.

tmdriverwannabe can verify that it had to be a massive crater to knock my phone out as he looked at my setup at NASSIR and knows how tight the phone sat in the cradle.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

__Snorebaby__

Glad to know that crater wasn't hungry!
Wings got a lot of meat on'm.

:action:


__BLACKWING__

Wondrous what these Wings can do.
I once got 8 ft of 2 tire lockup, I thought that was pushing it.

:action:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,860 Posts
imported post

BLACKWING84 wrote:
I rode all the way down without any mishaps. I got to with a mile on home and someone polled out in front of me at cross road. thats the first time the wing ever left 15 feet of tirebrake marks. Just figgers.
Good thing the car was more than 15 feet in front of you.
Glad to hear you are allright.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,860 Posts
imported post

Snorebaby wrote:
(Initially mistakenlyposted under Snorebabe's acct. That's why the OOOOPS in her post)



Coming home the first day....Friday the 13th.....we were intending to stop in Memphis, TN for the night. The roads and traffic were HORRIBLE in Memphis. Too many people going every direction and driving like crazy folks. The road surfaces were terrible with upheaves and craters. I don't think there was more than 10ft with a level surface. The road system....you gotta go around the block 3 times just to get across the street.

Well needless to say we decided to press on and go a little further since the weather was decent. Trying to get out of Memphis on I-55 doing 70mph and trying not to get run over, the bikes shocks bottoming out and the trailer's bouncing around because of the terrible roads, I hit a crater that shook my bones and my cell phone jumped out of the cradle. As I reached for it with my left hand and trying to watch the traffic/roads, I barely touched it. It fell to my leg and bounced off my knee onto the roadway. I looked in the left side mirror and seen the initial bounce where 2 pieces of my phone came flying up off the road, into the path of my brothers bike/trailer and as he was running it over, more pieces flew up into the path of the tractor-trailer that was behind him.

I did not turn around to try to find it. That would indicate that I wanted to commit suicide trying to search on that interstate. Plus I would have had to spend at least 30 minutes just trying to navigate the city to get back to the spot. I did cuss when it happened. I am positive that it is unusable. I call and it goes straight to voicemail. Luckily I have my old phone that this one replaced.

tmdriverwannabe can verify that it had to be a massive crater to knock my phone out as he looked at my setup at NASSIR and knows how tight the phone sat in the cradle.
I'll have to agree with you on the state of roadways in Memphis. I used to have to visit a couple of times a year. They are always working on some road or another, and it never gets any better.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,253 Posts
imported post

It wasn't really "strange" but once back in Texas on I-30, I'm driving that Monster Truck of my sons...This woman in a car pulls up beside me goes to pointing back at the trailer.....My heart sinks, I just know without looking back one or both of the bikes are on their sides....:sadguy:....Pulled over the rear tire on the passengers side was almost gone, just two strips of rubber left on the wheel....Have no idea when or where it blew out???

Pulled into a trailer manfacturing company, they sent us to Wal-Mart, good ole Wally World, but we found a small tire shop first, $25.00 for a used tire...On the road again, well not quite, just as we were pulling into that trailer dealership, the AC on the truck started blowing "hot air"?????...Had to drive almost 400 miles no AC in this Texas heat...Had some cloud cover so it wasn't really too bad...Monday son took the truck to an AC shop I use....$800.00 bucks for a new compressor!!!...The trailer is getting four new tires today!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,132 Posts
imported post

I stopped at a McDonalds for a drink and backed into a spot on the opposite side of the parking lot so I could get out of there easily after a potty and drink break. I came out and walked around the bike checking everything out before I headed out again. While checking the bike, I noticed a man and his wife backed into a spot at the end of the parking lot. Her window was rolled down and they were looking intently on what I was doing.

I put on my gear, and because it looked like rain in Little Rock I thought it would be a good time to put on my frogg Toggs as well, even though the temps were aproaching 95 degrees or so by now....... Dawned the 3/4 helmet and started the bike........ Just then, Mr curiosity pulls right in front of me, preventing my exit..... He leans over his wife and with a very deep southern accent, accentuated by stupid, he says "That sure is a pretty Bike" I said Thank you........ He ask, "What are the yellow ropes for on the antenna?"........ I told him they are more of a symbol than function...... he ask "A symbol for what?" I said so if Im driving down the road or stuck in a parking lot other members of my Gang will spot me and come to my rescue..... He says "What Gang you in" I said it was kinda like the Hells Angels but we are more secretive and meaner....... He said "well you don't look mean, those boys (Hells Angels), now those boys are mean"........ I said thanks, but just Piss me off......

He drove away sensing my displeasure of him blocking me in in the sweltering heat........... But I could still hear him telling his wife....."Boy, ya just never know these days..... He looked so normal.."
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
imported post

Oh Geez John! Now you've went & created the Yeller Ribbon GoldWing Gang!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,132 Posts
imported post

I liked the yellow streamers. Im not a big one on spotting other bikes on a 4 lane but I could see Drod and ButtonLady coming from a mile away when I passed them in Missouri.

I kind of like my story though.......... Sure took the redneck by surprise.......
 

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
imported post

lopeha wrote:
Oh Geez John! Now you've went & created the Yeller Ribbon GoldWing Gang!
Yup...we are pretty tough bunch! Look what we drink straight up...
 

Attachments

·
Just one of the guys
Joined
·
4,783 Posts
imported post

Pulling out of the campground yesterday I hit a stick that flipped up just right and broke the toepiece off my shifter. So guess I now have the distinction of riding the Dragon and Moonshiner with a trailer and a broke shift lever. It isn't all that bad, my boots have a nice solid welt on them that catches the stub pretty solidly.

Hey FM my guess is Bailey had that slip betweeen 2 claws reaching through the slats holding it for you until that truck terbulnce snatched it from him!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

DougW wrote:
Hey FM my guess is Bailey had that slip between 2 claws reaching through the slats holding it for you until that truck turbulence snatched it from him!
Now THAT I never gave that a thought.
What a WONDER DOG!!!


:action: HOO-AHH
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,319 Posts
imported post

lopeha wrote:
Oh Geez John! Now you've went & created the Yeller Ribbon GoldWing Gang!
I REALLY hope this doesn't mean we all have to get yellow thong tattoos!!!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,132 Posts
imported post

Halfling wrote:
lopeha wrote:
Oh Geez John! Now you've went & created the Yeller Ribbon GoldWing Gang!
I REALLY hope this doesn't mean we all have to get yellow thong tattoos!!!
And thong hats, thong tattoos, thong patches, thong cup holders............

The works!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,514 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Halfling wrote:
lopeha wrote:
Oh Geez John! Now you've went & created the Yeller Ribbon GoldWing Gang!
I REALLY hope this doesn't mean we all have to get yellow thong tattoos!!!
And thong hats, thong tattoos, thong patches, thong cup holders............

The works!!
God.....................I hope not...................................
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
37,662 Posts
imported post

Halfling wrote:
lopeha wrote:
Oh Geez John! Now you've went & created the Yeller Ribbon GoldWing Gang!
I REALLY hope this doesn't mean we all have to get yellow thong tattoos!!!
If you get the tat before the next DSer ride in how about showing it off to us:shock:
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top