Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey yall im outta here going on vac. with the fam. me ,my wife, and the boy were heading out sat. early am driving. ive never been before any advice ? i know i know not wing related but im kinda excited about it

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

You are a lucky man being so close to Florida that you can drive. I brought my family a few years ago. Just want to wish you a hapy time there, you will enjoy it and if you have children with you make sure to hit Disneyworld, they will always remember that. Only advice I can give you is to bring a camera, oh and watch your wallet.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hey Speedracer,

When you said "never been before" did you mean to Florida, or did you mean, never been on holiday before!!

Whichever you meant, we are green with envy, here over the pond. I haven't been to Florida either, but I hear they have some interesting stuff in the Everglades, like alligators!! :shock:

No doubt you will enjoy yourself and you never know, you might even like it so much, you might want to take a second holiday one day!!:goofygrin:Bet you come home tired if you have an ankle biter in tow, He will want to go on every ride available.

Have a good one and yes remember the camera, they grow up so quick, you'll wonder where the years went.

Pete

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

I strongly suggest going on an air boat ride. They're a little price, but man is it cool. I'm not sure who had the most fun, me & momma, or the boys.:cheeky1:The Magic Kingdom is always a crowd pleaser as well.:clapper:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

speedracer, if you get a chance check out the Florida Keys. You'll get to see lots of interesting things down there and the conches (people that live there) treat you real nice.

Stay away from Biscayne Boulevard in Miami as it's riddled with high crime. (I know first hand because I was almost mugged and knifed there.)

Boca Raton is a beautiful area if you enjoy luxury.

Gatorsville has a great dragstrip.

Daytona Beach has a lot of sites for car and bike nuts.

Orlando is where Disneyworld is.

Spend a night in Nashville Tennesee on the way down and stay at the Opryland Hotel in a room with a balcony overlooking one acre of beatiful gardens. BTW, this garden is inside under a glass roof.

Be prepared to spend lots of money.

Have fun.

Vic

P.S. Don't pet the alligators, they may look lazy and slow, but they aren't. (Don't ask me how I know. LOL)

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Wakulla Springs in the north is worth a visit. You can see the cliff Tarzan dove off of and the Black Lagoon. Also where the Airport with the drowned plane was filmed. Economical and not brashly touristy like the other springs.

In "Mouseville", stay in the downtown hotels, like Heart of Orlando. Same time to get to the gate to Disney World, but far more economical and less crowded than the hotels in the worlds.

South of Tallahassee there is Fat Boys Bar B Q The Ice Cream BBQ sandwich is SPECTACULAR!

The Space Center is quite reasonable and once again worth the time.

From there it really depends on your likes and dislikes... La Reina del Mundo and her lowly vassal love Miami. But Spanish is the language of our home and we prefer the latin culture. I can imagine English only folk being quite frustrated.

Hmmm Let us know what you like and I will see if I can steer you somemore.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

thanks yall for your input,no this isnt our first vacation but it is our first vacation out of state as a family my boy (9) is beside himself about it i think ill check out daytona beach and maybe find out just what the hell a "ice cream bbq sandwich"is thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Bring the bug juice...one time at night while crossing the everglades with my son, he had to relieve himself. We both got out of the car and left the doors wide open with the dome light on. After a few seconds of standing there, the mosquitoes started eating us alive. We both ran for the car and shut the doors. The only problem was that now there were hundreds of theblood-sucking critters inside the car!

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Also be careful of the storms they get.....remember this is their rainy and hurricane season. Our friends who live in Cocoa Beach wouldn't allow me to tour the keys on my bike last July. Appears 24 hours a day there is an isolated thunderstorm somewhere in Florida. They come in quick and nasty. Some of the biggest hail I've seen!!!

Kyle

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

I hope you have a great time speedracer. Your boy is at the right age to fully enjoy all the wonders of Disneyworld.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey speedracer :stumped: You only joined this forum last month :cooldj: and now you tell us that your away on hols. hmm ! ! :crying:Ok i better wish you and your family the best of good luck and come back safe to the forum. :byebye: I dont know why everyone runs to Florida :angel2:for their hols, when they could easily come to the Islands here on the West Coast of Ireland. :doh:

:tongue: :18red: :tongue:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Can you cope with another nutty Englishman on your shores Redwing, cause if so, I might just drag " She who Should be obeyed" over there before too long. Never had the pleasure of crossing the "lake" and would love to see the sights.:baffled:

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Years ago, I rode Route A1A down the East side of Florida to Alligator Alley and then west to the coast and all the way north up the coast and thenwest to Panama City before going north. Great ride but I got rained on every day.:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
imported post

Hey axelwik, be happy you weren't in minnesota. You could only get about 2 maybe 3 of the blood suckers in your car if you left the car door open here. The mosquito is our state bird.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

hockeydad33 wrote:
Hey axelwik, be happy you weren't in minnesota. You could only get about 2 maybe 3 of the blood suckers in your car if you left the car door open here. The mosquito is our state bird.
I could do without that kind of state bird! Wherewe live in Oregon, we only getthe mosquitoesin the spring and early summer... too hot and dry for them in late summer. However, they do seem to love the mountain lake areas all summer, and further north where it rains more.

I lived in Florida for 4 years. Too flat and too humid for me.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

hey guys one last post before bed i gotts get up at 3 am so thanks for all yalls input redwing i might take you up on that being an irish boy and all go mac donald clan

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The woman who hangs around here and I have driven the long, long road to Florida twice now, once from Alaska and once from Washington. Probably will do it again. The highway called Alligator Alley across the bottom of Florida is worth the drive.Visit the lookout tower, I believe it was in a Hitchcock film. There are several places on that highway to take an airboat ride, lots of fun and some of those guys are real whizzes at handling them. I'd also recommend a drive down the highway to the Keys even if you don't go to Key West (which you should!) Lots of nice places to go swimming and even the only underwater state park. At the South end of Florida they actually have salt water crocodiles, not gators. Disneyworld is worth a visit. Watch out for golf courses, they knock off a lot of folks with lightning out there. You're getting me fired up for another trip, gonna have to load the camper on the truck and head out again. Need to get a trailer to take the 'Wing. One advantage of being retired (sort of) is that I can go in the off season.

Anyway Florida is a GREAT place to go!!:cooldj:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey exavid :weightlifter:Congrats on breaking the 2000 post barrier. :clapper: It takes a lot of key bashing for old men like us to achieve this score. :weightlifter:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Paul, I can't agree with you more about the Keys.

That Seven Mile bridge to the Keysis a nice ride also. I used to have a condo in Marathon and drove my Corvette across that bridge frequently at speeds over 150 MPH when there was no traffic.(I was younger and much more stupid then, don't even try it now, cops monitor it closely.) To some, the Keys are more beautiful than Hawaii if you look closely at all there is to see. Strangest thing I saw when I first got to Miami was palm trees lining the streets, to me they looked artificial, but, what do you expect from a dumb Canadian on the first trip to Florida. The other thing that's different is the weather, hurricanes buzz through the Keys frequently and can actually move your car from one side of the road to the other, but, the locals weren't surprised when I told them about this happening to me because it's just something they live with and carry on like it was nothing. The Florida Keys brings back such fond memories for me.

Vic

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.