Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
thanks, sold my valk and 01 wing last fall, now (perfect time...spring...) shopping for another
spotted an 06, looks clean, low miles going with cash in hand in a few hours, any known headaches?
I read a few have had 30mphish wobble/headshake
Is this tires, or an actual problem
as always, thanks in advance

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
Just like any of them a deceleration head shake is common and usually always cleared up with steering head bearings & or new tires. It's no different mechanically from your 01 except a few added features.

Reactions: Medina

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my latest and greatest Wing to date. some options, heated grips, that velcro pocket thing in the trunks, fog lights etc.
I looked at so many in the last weeks....as I'm negotiating with the guy he mentions 'heel toe shifter, its only got 12 thousand miles on it" took me a second to collect my sht..like I said I looked at so many the wing I just drove an hour to look at, was NOT the one I thought in my mind, color wasn't even right- when i pulled in I'm thinking well, dudes color blind, here we go, nice guy, met his wife, very nice...until we started talking price I just assumed he forgot what he had
......twelve.......thousand.......miles..... Got it for 7500, DOT stamp on tires is 2019, reciepts from oil change two years ago...
My primary concerns are going to be fork seals, corrosion in/around the battery, the push buttons (emergency lights, fog light etc etc) sticking permanently, dried seals from not running it, fluids from sitting...I'm actually a tad more comfortable buying a wing thats getting 3-5 thousand miles a year versus 900 miles a year

... its criminal not to at least break a GL1800 before letting it sit forever

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
sometimes, Life gets in the way....
mine sat for over two years while I was attending to my wife's EOL from Diabetes

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sometimes, Life gets in the way....
mine sat for over two years while I was attending to my wife's EOL from Diabetes
oh my, totally agree- we've had ongoing health nightmares with children this last year, but pauses are one thing, why buy a tool for "getting out" just to have it in the garage. That escapes me. Guy across the street, bought new in 97 one of those suzuki chopper looking things, brand new...sold it last year after accepting he didn't ride it...sold it with 2900 miles on it...most of those were his kid the first year...he bought a burgman, RIDES the hell out of it now!! I even saw him heading OUT in a light drizzle! Now we're talking! (y)(y)

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
I see it's not the factory heated grips so It won't have the heated seat. Heel/toe shifter would have to go if it was me but at least it doesn't have floor boards & he didn't add a bunch of useless bling.

·
Registered
99 Posts
No "known" problems on a 2006 Gold Wing. Check tire pressures for steering head shake. My 2006 Gold Wing has never had steering head shake. (101K miles) IMHO it took Honda 5 years to get the 1800 Gold Wing right. The problems you list, barttery corrosion, and fork seals are all normal, minor maintenence items. I have studied the pictures, and do not see a hee/toe shifter. That would be my biggest concern if it had these. I would want to know if the anti freeze, and brake/clutch fluids have been changed recently. Mightr be the first thing I would do if I bouight it. You mention heated grips. Does it also have heated seats? If so, make sure they both work. Some people like that color.
gumbyredd

·
Pwhoever
3,276 Posts
One other thing to pay attention to is the left radiator and fan. In 2006, Honda upgraded the cooling system and put larger radiators on it. But there was an issue with the standoffs for the left side fan. The fans are designed to be very close to the radiator. Unfortunately in a few cases, this ended up being too close and the fan has ground into the radiator and caused leaks. It didn't happen to everyone but IIRC, it did happen to @Rcameron and the radiator had to be replaced. When replacing the radiator, also IIRC, an upgrade was done to the mount to let the fan sit a tad further from the radiator. I have an 07 and didn't have the problem but had seen reports of it affecting 06 and some early 07's. It also possible that because of how close the fan was, debris caught in the fan contributed to this.

So just keep an eye on that left radiator...

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
I have studied the pictures, and do not see a hee/toe shifter. t. You mention heated grips. Does it also have heated seats?
The heel/toe shifter is clearly shown in the second picture. You can also see the grips are aftermarket and there is no passenger seat controller below the left rear storage pocket.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jury is still out, for me, on the heel toe, feels awkward, but will try it for a week or two.
First set of footboards I had..hated...for about a week.....so.....they're already there.
More concerned no highway pegs, sooooo......off shopping!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I guess I see the heel/toe shifter now. Just no floorboards. That would have been a deal breaker for me. Do NOT want to call up Greg and ask for his services. Appears to be some sort of controler under left rear pocket. Not sure what it might be for. Lots of people put after market grips on over heated handlebars. The left radiator problem is a new one to me. No issues with my 06. That issue should have been addressed by now if there was one.
gumbyredd

·
Pwhoever
3,276 Posts
I guess I see the heel/toe shifter now. Just no floorboards. That would have been a deal breaker for me. Do NOT want to call up Greg and ask for his services. Appears to be some sort of controler under left rear pocket. Not sure what it might be for. Lots of people put after market grips on over heated handlebars. The left radiator problem is a new one to me. No issues with my 06. That issue should have been addressed by now if there was one.
gumbyredd
Oops, scratch what I said. Memory recall isn't what it used to be. I was wrong about the 06 so this would be a non issue for him. It was actually a few 07-08 models as besides the larger radiators, the pcv valve position was changed and the fan location was changed to accommodate this. Here is just one thread from a while back that discusses this:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Gumbyredd, that looks like the plug for the wife's Helmet and intercom. I think that is a nice looking Wing looks really clean. Looks like you could just buy a OEM shifter and replace that Heel toe thing. I would not worry about Highway peg's unless I could buy the Mick o pegs. I really don't like the one's I put on my 1500. Very uncomfortable for me.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
my 2002 never had any battery corrosion....
but it has always had an AGM since I owned it.

and a battery tender 24/7/365

·
Pwhoever
3,276 Posts
One thing that really stands out is that front tire. A new one is overdue. That would be the first thing I did before putting any more miles on it...

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Tires felt weird, lifted it last night, needs tires. you just can't store a bike for years and not have weirdness...cheap fix

1 - 16 of 16 Posts