Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Thank's for the heads up blackkny & cowboy bob. I was thinking of them to change out my rear rotor just for conevenience sake but think I'll pick one up and do it myself. The rear rotor is starting to grove, any suggestions where to pick one up and new pads?
Should be able to get the new pads at Western Honda... don't think you're gonna find new rotors anywhere locally. While I'm hesitant for round two with Steve's service department, they do have a few wings out in the back for parts... they may have a usable used rotor. Failing that, Bob's is gonna be the only other one I know of.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Should be able to get the new pads at Western Honda... don't think you're gonna find new rotors anywhere locally. While I'm hesitant for round two with Steve's service department, they do have a few wings out in the back for parts... they may have a usable used rotor. Failing that, Bob's is gonna be the only other one I know of.

Thanks, that was kind of the direction I was figuring for the rotor, either Steve's or Bob's. I'm in no rush to get it done just thought I'd play it by ear. If it happened to fall into place, so be it. Steve's is just so close and handy but I will be wary.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Got my 1st good run in yesterday. From Mesa on 60 up through Globe over to Sho Low, Heber, Payson, 87 back south into Mesa. Getting into Sho Low and over to Payson was just like riding back home......FREAKIN COLD and SNOW!!!!!! The run going north to Globe and south back down 87 was awesome scenery.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
That's a heck of a ride right there :shock:... How'd ya like them twisties on the 60 headin' into Show Low? Never done 'em on the wing, but I went through there with my BMW 540i once... oh what a rush :)

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That's a heck of a ride right there :shock:... How'd ya like them twisties on the 60 headin' into Show Low? Never done 'em on the wing, but I went through there with my BMW 540i once... oh what a rush :)

blackknytecnc......It was awesome!!!! I got a little concerned in the high country near Sho Low as the asphalt showed white patches and kinda gave me a sense of frost, but I figured there's no way frost could be into the ground as I didn't think it had been that cold below freezing for any lenght of time. We're off to Havasu today (in the cage) but look forward to hearing from you on Monday for a Tuesday ride if you got valuable time to waste. Still haven't taken the bike into Tortilla Flats, now there's some twisties with a lot of idiot drivers eh and what's her name isn't fussy on taking the bike up there.
Later leaving for Havasu

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
The Phoenix valley is a great place to be in the winter, and a good place to stay away from in the summer (115 degrees+) I drove (in a car) up to Payson and then from Payson to Show Low and back on the 11th. Snow everywhere. My windshield washer froze. There were ice sickles on the road signs. I passed a couple on a Goldwing stopped by a cop on the way to Payson. They had an ice cooler on the back covering the license plate. I stopped for gas in Payson, then found them in front of me as I headed for Show Low. I followed them for quite some distance. Some amazing riding. It was mostly slush on the road, and really slippery. I pulled into a Circle K in Heber for coffee, they pulled into a Chevron station just ahead. I never saw them again. Got to respect anyone who would ride in weather like that.

I went to Bob's a couple of times looking for parts for my '85 LTD, didn't really find anything. They are the only cycle salvage yard around though. I called D&D looking for a rear wheel for the same bike, they said they didn't work on pre '88 bikes. I also asked them if they had any Honda Moly 60. They didn't, and recommended Bel Ray waterproof grease for use on the splines. I bought a used bike from Steve's a few years ago, and a few other small things, a helmet and maintenance supplies. I have never had any work done on a bike by a shop. Bernie's used to be pretty decent, but they went out of business. There is also Sun Valley Cycles. IMO, all shops are too expensive, even if they do good work. If it's fairly simple, like changing belts, an owner should be able to do it, if it involves something complicated like internal engine repairs, it will be to expensive to be worth it.

One thing the four cylinder Goldwings have going for them is they are easy to work on. Despite their complexity, they are old tech, just have a lot of parts. But once you get all the bodywork off them, they are no worse than any other older motorcycle, and easier than many to work on. The down side is a serious lack of parts.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well....we had our fun in the sun and headed home tomorrow (thursday) We did manage to get a couple of good rides in as previosuly stated a ride up through Globe and Show Low. Sure glad we weren't up there today for the winterfest. Yesterday Me and What's Her Name hit Superior, Hayden, Globe, then over to Tortilla Flats. We still wanted to hit Bush Hwy but the wind in the valley was picking up so we called it quits around 4pm.

Steve and Doug graciously offered a ride with them yesterday morning, but I had to decline as I'm not real comfy riding through Phoenix early morning rushhour to get to our start point in Congres. We always have next year.

We did manage to find some "cheap helmets" at Joetta's on Main Street. A couple of Bell shorty's with the zip in lining and drop down visors for $130.00 each. Guess we're taking them home and will return with our old ones we have in Winnipeg. I was pretty excited when I 1st found a helmet there for $25. Sure glad I didn't buy it as I wouldn't have had any ears left after running through Cold Ol' Show Low.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Glad you had some good ridin'... Sorry I couldn't hook up with ya, but my bikes in a pretty sorry state right now... got the hole fairing disassembled. But like you said, there's always next year.

Aparently Canada's really been missing you... IT FREAKIN' SNOWED TODAY!!! IN PHOENIX!!! :shock:

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
blackknytecnc......It was awesome!!!! I got a little concerned in the high country near Sho Low as the asphalt showed white patches and kinda gave me a sense of frost, but I figured there's no way frost could be into the ground as I didn't think it had been that cold below freezing for any lenght of time. We're off to Havasu today (in the cage) but look forward to hearing from you on Monday for a Tuesday ride if you got valuable time to waste. Still haven't taken the bike into Tortilla Flats, now there's some twisties with a lot of idiot drivers eh and what's her name isn't fussy on taking the bike up there.
Later leaving for Havasu
Did you go to the fireworks over in Havasu? We rode 17 bikes over there from North Phoenix and went to the show. It's an annual trip for our Chapter. I am an Ontario transplant. Have been here just over 10 years now. That snow today was crazy!! :wtf:

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.