Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Today I spent some time browsing the various web sites dealing with the use of car tires on the rear of motorcycles. It sounds particularly interesting for touring and cruising bikes. Has anyone here ever tried this on an older 'Wing'. My '81 takes an 130/90/17 rear tire. What size of car tire would that translate to?
Cheers,
JamesGang

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

you just started a war lol... in my opinion. car tires go on the car, motorcycle tires go on the bike. im poor. but i do my best to afford them.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Naw not a war, just a small skirmish. :D. As far as I know, there is not a functional application for the use of a CT on that particular size and style rim.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

The size conversion is not the question .Can you find a 17 inch tire?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
you just started a war lol... in my opinion. car tires go on the car, motorcycle tires go on the bike. im poor. but i do my best to afford them.
Ditto!:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Did someone mention the DARK SIDE ???:whip::whip::whip::whip::whip:

Dont even think about discussing it :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

(gaaaaaasp) YOU UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWWWWWWWAH OF THE DAAAAAAHK SIIIIIIIIDE (gaaaaaaaasp)

Sorry...couldn't resist.

A 130/90/17 motorcycle tire will convert into a 130/90/17 car tire.

Simple breakdown

130 mm width of tread
90 Sidewall height measurement in percentage...in this case, the sidewall height is 90% of the measurement of the tread width (somewhere around 117mm or so)
17 Size of the rim.

Now, if you should just HAPPEN to find a car tire that is made 130/90/17 (Good luck, I've actually looked before I did a little research), you'll find that the bead will not set properly on the rim of your 1100, and you'll find that you won't find a rim for your 1100 that will hold the bead of a car tire.

It's just not going to work for you James, sorry man.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I've done a bit of searching for something that would fit my 1200/1500 converted rear drive. Anything in a bias tire is much larger than I believe would fit in the space.

My rear is a 160/80/16 and the closest I can find is a 215.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.