Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, just when I thought I had decided against it, I am looking at it again. I just cant see paying $200.00 for a tire and getting less than 10,000 miles. Soooo, what is the most cost effective,and most popular tore out there to go "dark"? Anything in the $60-70.00 range run falt

Wingman59

·
Registered
2,795 Posts

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

I would be cautious about the 195/55R16. There are 2 members here that have used that size but in the General G-Max model. You can read about it HERE and post #123 HERE. One liked it after finally airing it up to 50psi but the other guy hated it completely. I have no experience in this size but I have seen it mentioned that because of the width of the GL1500 rim, and the fact that this tire is a low profile and wider than a 175, this tire has more of a tendency to wiggle. Maybe the Ziez has a more rigid sidewall.

One other tire that comes in 175/60R16 is the Bridgestone Turanza. One place you can find them is HERE.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

The previous two posts are great info.

I'm running the Federal on my 1500 and it is comfortable and I like the tread pattern. It gets great traction wet or dry and I like the 3/4" lower ride but with the trailer on, it has problems at some speeds. Also it is only imported about 2x per year in the US so you have to get them when they are available.

I would consider the Run Flat type just to see if the trailer action was improved with the stiffer side walls on these.

The Austone might be a good choice as well with it's 6 plies and heavy load rating but I can't deal with the taller ride and my short legs.

Have not considered the others yet.

I did just lengthen the trailer tongue by 16 inches so maybe that will slow down the tennis match between the trailer and the Federal's side walls.

One up-- no issues. Two up-- a little rubbery at stops and starts.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

Gentlemen
Am considering buying a used rim and rotor from a 99 1500 to have powder coated and put a ct on this winter. The owner of the rim said it had approx 19000 miles on it. He wants a buck twenty five for it. Is this a good deal? The bike was triked so left overs were available.:thumbsup: My bike is a 97 model

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Karholler wrote:
Gentlemen
Am considering buying a used rim and rotor from a 99 1500 to have powder coated and put a ct on this winter. The owner of the rim said it had approx 19000 miles on it. He wants a buck twenty five for it. Is this a good deal? The bike was triked so left overs were available.:thumbsup: My bike is a 97 model
> That's a good price.
> I'd also consider making sure that it includes all the "guts", so that you can merely swap wheels whenever needed... eg Rubber Dampners, and Drive Hub

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

I am REALLY looking at that wintersport 175/60/16 as my next rear tire. Gerowing has a 195 mounted on his and reported on 3mm clearance on each side. That is not a lot of room... I'm guessing that 175 will allow a little more clearance making it easier to pull and install... maybe a little less likely to wander.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

us385south wrote:
I am REALLY looking at that wintersport 175/60/16 as my next rear tire. Gerowing has a 195 mounted on his and reported on 3mm clearance on each side. That is not a lot of room... I'm guessing that 175 will allow a little more clearance making it easier to pull and install... maybe a little less likely to wander.
> The 175/60/16 works great, I'm on my 2nd one.
> No wandering problem, at least using 41psi
> Easy to install on the bike
> Only hassle is getting it mounted... way too stiff to do at home, need to take it to a tire shop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.