Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I finally ordered a Austone Taxi tire for the rear of my wing!!! :claps: :claps: :claps: :claps:
It should be here Friday and hopefully I can mount it soon, put some moly paste on the splines, rear brakes and all that good stuff. It may be the first of the new year before I am finished but I will post my thoughts on the new rear tire after I have had a chance to ride on it some.
I am going to order new wheel bearings and brake pads (along with some other parts) today.
I am not sure if this worked but I tried to put a picture of my wore out Dunlop E3 on here.. I had over 15,000 miles on it and it was starting to get scary not to mention I felt the thump thump thump every time I made a left turn. I knew then it was really time for a new tire!!!
I know I am missing out on some nice riding weather here..

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
I've been a Darksider for a number of years now. # 947. Got started with my VTX and now my 93SE. But I am a Double Darksider now. I put a Bridgestone Battle Axe rear tire mounted on the front. So far so good. >>>>>>>> http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/ <<<<<<<< A bunch of info here.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But I am a Double Darksider now. I put a Bridgestone Battle Axe rear tire mounted on the front.
That will be my next step after I wear out the Dunlop E3 on the front.
Become a Double Darksider!!! :waving: :waving: :waving:

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
Another 'yay' vote for the Austone here. 5000 miles plus on it and NO regrets!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the DARKSIDE!

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
I love my Austone on my Valkyrie! And I have just gone double with a Battle Axe on the front!
Good luck with yours!
Dubs

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
You will love the darkside. My '98 was darksided for the last couple of years that I owned it. No comparison, WAY better in the rain, and noticeably better stopping. (Now that I have a trike, I am TRIPLE darkside: BT 45 on the front and nice wide Kelly Chargers on the rear!)
Mikeyrx

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
The rain difference is notable. We in Oregon get a bit of it.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Double darkside here also, Austone on rear and a Michy rear on the front. May try other brand rear on front next year.

88 1500 and 95 1500 both had E3's when I bought them and I have ran the same 2 darkside tires on both now and the Austone has tons of tread still though I lost track of the miles on it. Well over 10K to be sure maybe around 15k or more?
That's my problem, I don't keep great records, and taking a tire from one bike and putting on another bike I lose track of miles.

I'll buy another Austone for sure anytime I need a 1500 rear tire!

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well my wife said that my new Austone Taxi tire came in Friday but I am not sure about the wheel bearings and brake pads yet. It's not going to do me much good for several more days because I have been laid up in bed with the Flue since Friday. I had planned on taking the tire to work and mounting it on the rim this weekend but I had to call in sick and my rim is at work.
But that is ok I will get to it as soon as I am not running a fever and feeling better.
And Chromo I am like you I don't keep good records either!!!!

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
Since the wheel is off you might as well replace the bearings.
I must be weird - my records are almost anal in nature. Then again only one bike at a time.
Yup - I am weird.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
It took me a short adjustment time playing with air pressures, but I settled on 48# in the Austone and 44# in the front (ExcedraMax RADIAL)on my 1500. Not only excellent in the wet, but the Austone is wearing like iron!

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ordered wheal bearings, seals, brake pads and going to grease the splines while I am at it. It just may be a few weeks. I got the flue but I am over it now but my youngest daughter got sick and we spent some time Christmas Eve at an ER and again on Christmas Day at the same ER. Apparently they could not or would not do anything for her but dope her up and send her home. So we took her to Texas Children's in Houston. They admitted her so needles to say it may be a few weeks before I can do any work on the wing!
Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!!!!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
It took me a short adjustment time playing with air pressures, but I settled on 48# in the Austone and 44# in the front (ExcedraMax RADIAL)on my 1500. Not only excellent in the wet, but the Austone is wearing like iron!
Post how many miles on them now and when you put them on so people get the full info.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I ordered wheal bearings, seals, brake pads and going to grease the splines while I am at it. It just may be a few weeks. I got the flue but I am over it now but my youngest daughter got sick and we spent some time Christmas Eve at an ER and again on Christmas Day at the same ER. Apparently they could not or would not do anything for her but dope her up and send her home. So we took her to Texas Children's in Houston. They admitted her so needles to say it may be a few weeks before I can do any work on the wing!
Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!!!!
I'm sorry to hear of your daughter having problem, hope it's not serious, will be praying.

As to the grease, hope you are using Moly Paste, not grease, Paste stays put longer. Still plan on pulling the rear off every 10,000 miles for re lube the splines as the Austone will outlast the spline lube.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Post how many miles on them now and when you put them on so people get the full info.
:claps: :claps: :claps: That is a good idea newaday777. I will do that after I get home from the hospital and get the mileage of the wing I will post it. That way I can reference this post if I forget how many miles was on it when I put the tire on. I am using moly 60 paste on the splines.

And thank you for the prayers and thoughts. She is starting to do better. Maybe we can go home later today.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
I won't comment on the grease thing (different topic, but I use high temp red grease). But, I run similar pressures in my Austone (48, 42 in the front Mich Pilot Activ) and it is great.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
Oh - And be sure to check and/or replace those 3 O-rings when you grease the splines.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh - And be sure to check and/or replace those 3 O-rings when you grease the splines.

I sure will rpeter549.

I did manage to mount the new Austone Taxi on my spare rim with a new valve stem today at work. I used the tire machine and it worked like a charm. Now hopefully I can find the time to put it on the bike and do the other things I need to do to the Wing this weekend.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.