Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read all I think I need to, went to the Honda Dealer and Purchased what I need and now Im going to tackle what is considered on of the hardest maintenance task that can be done on an 1800.........

The Dreaded Air Filter....... :lash:

I may not be back...........

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Universal plug in connectors would be nice..........

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Obis must be a Latin word....... I.e. ..lost in the Obis.

English translation........ O CRAP.......

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Inspect and tighten all the hose connections while your in there!!!
:readit:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, going back together is going to take a little while. Hoses, making sure all Electracle is cleaned and connected as well as cleaning everything that's in there as it goes together.

All in all, not as horrible as I had originally thought and feared........

But it's not together yet either..........

Back to work

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I hope you put in one of those fancy oil soaked ones, (forgot the name). Never have to replace it again.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope you put in one of those fancy oil soaked ones, (forgot the name). Never have to replace it again.
Thanks......... NOW YOU TELL ME.........:wtf:

OEM Honda brand......

I'll be back here in 16,000 miles........

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Done!

Start to finish - 3 hours. A lot better than I thought. Next time I can shave an hour off remembering to hook up the antenna and bring out the 5 pin connector for the driver BEFORE I put the dog house on..........

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
I am not going in there again at any less then 50K, changed it in my 08 at 28, 48 and 78,000 and it was never very dirty. I have done it in about 45 minutes so it's not that bad. Be glad you don't have a '12, they are worse.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK. Here is what a 12 year old filter looks like with 39000 Ohio Miles......... And at some point, was a hotel for a mouse who liked popcorn............

Disgusting.........

And to think a dealership sold this bike at 16,000 miles to the PO and said that all this stuff was done.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Be glad you don't have a '12, they are worse.
How so?
I've only changed mine once and that was several years ago.
If my rememberer is correct it took about 20 minutes and no Tupperware had to come off, of that I'm certain, it was all done through the shelter doors.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
I just did my air filter on Tuesday. The bike has just under 80,000 miles on it.

I paid to have the dealer change it the first time at just under 20,000 miles. It was still pretty darn clean. So I decided to change the next one at around 50,000. That one was a bit dirtier but still not to bad. I left that one in for almost 30,000 miles. I made a trip from Seattle to Miami and back, From Seattle to Alaska and back, Seattle to the Grand Canyon and back and from Seattle to Banff National park and back.

You can see I always put a sticker on the filter showing the date and the mileage when I changed it. 3 & 1/2 years and 30,000 miles. (The bike now has 79,860+ miles on it)

The new one is red, it appears honda changed their color.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
How so?
I've only changed mine once and that was several years ago.
If my rememberer is correct it took about 20 minutes and no Tupperware had to come off, of that I'm certain, it was all done through the shelter doors.
Oh you silly! A 2012, not a 1200.:readit:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just did my air filter on Tuesday. The bike has just under 80,000 miles on it.

I paid to have the dealer change it the first time at just under 20,000 miles. It was still pretty darn clean. So I decided to change the next one at around 50,000. That one was a bit dirtier but still not to bad. I left that one in for almost 30,000 miles. I made a trip from Seattle to Miami and back, From Seattle to Alaska and back, Seattle to the Grand Canyon and back and from Seattle to Banff National park and back.

You can see I always put a sticker on the filter showing the date and the mileage when I changed it. 3 & 1/2 years and 30,000 miles. (The bike now has 79,860+ miles on it)

The new one is red, it appears honda changed their color.

Thats a great idea putting the mileage and the date on the filter.............

I did not do that, Not opening it up to do it either.......

I keep a small notebook on the bike to log all maintenance in. I'll track it that way, then I can always look to check the date or mileage without having to open it up again.

The job really wasn't that hard and the filter really not that expensive ($21). If had to change it every 2 years that would be ok......

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
It's not really that bad - just take your time and go slow and methodically... While your there you might just as well check the cruise adjustment too... I did mine a while ago and at 16K the filter wasn't that bad but it was dirty enough that it needed changing...

Les

·
Premium Member
67,802 Posts
I just changed mine about 2 weeks ago.. 3 hours.. It had 40k on it and looked dirty.. This is the first time I've changed one that's helped the mpg.. Was down to 38/39 now I'm back to 40/42 mpg.. The old one was green and the new one is red.. You're right it's the pits of a job..
While I was in there I adjusted the cruise control .. Mine would drop off 4/5 miles and then catch up.. Now it's on the money..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.