Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone out there with riding experience on both the 1500 and the ST? Got my GL1500 this summer and like it a lot but I don't like the lack of power below 3000 rpm and how bulky the bike feels. I am considering trading down to a sport tourer but have no experience with those so would be interested in any opinions out there. thanks

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Oh yeah, you'll get some real nonpartisian answers to that question in this group!

Seriously though, My friend has anST1300 that I have ridden, Yes it feels lighter and I would say handles more nimbly. Definatly stiffer suspension which I prefer. But when it came time to go to americade in Ny state he showed up on his Gl1500. It's really just what you prefer. I think each bike is better at certain things, because really they were designed with different, although similiar purposes in mind. Decide what type of riding you do most, and what features and handling traits you prefer. Better yet tell the wife you need to buy one of each until you can figure this out. You may end up with two great bikes.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
imported post

I sarted on dressers at 25 and now am 49, I like long comfortable rides and can take my 1200 through the twisties pretty good, had a Cavalcade when I was in Colorado and had that in the mountains. Depends on what style ridding you like to do. With the wing you can learn to do both.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
imported post

I,ve had both a 1200 and a 1500 over the last twelve years. I also have wondered about the qualities of the 1100/ 1300 st but never ridden one, as I,m basically happy with my 89 1500. There would only be a lack of power under 3000 revs if you were in overdrive all the time, or the bike incorrectly tuned. Try using the gears more often and you,ll be surprised at the responsive power. For some reason a lot of wingers stay in a higher gear at lower speeds, although that,s probably the way they want it. It takes time to adjust to a wing, as the weight can be intimidating and the bike feels cumbersome at low speeds, but you will get used to it.

With upgraded suspension (progressives), good tyres (Avon Venom x)and use of the gearbox, you,ll find that a wing can handle. That way you can keep the wing and have the best of both worlds.

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

The 124hp, 7.7 gal tank and adjustable windshieldon the ST 1300 is attractive, would love to own one!Plus I love the V-4 motors!They say it will roast your chins from engine heat but there's a way to fix that buy removing the inner plastic behind the fairing !

It's a different animal than the 1500, really can't compare them in fairness!:baffled:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.