Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

Poor chap. Probably just pottering along and watching out for cars etc and out comes a dog. It could be any one of us anywhere in the world. May he rest in peace.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

This sad event makes you realise how trivial our daily grumbles are, when we can be wiped out in an instant. My condolences to the poor man's family.:(

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

Dogs are a real problem. I have heard recently of 7 local accidents where motorcycles hit dogs not including my own. I was riding a Honda Rebel at the time,3 months ago. Hit a dog doing 50 mph. Went over the handlebars took out the windshield. 3 hours of plastic surgery, a lot of road burns, lost 4 front teeth, no broken bones but a shoulder that still ackes and makes my right arm pretty useless but it is slowly getting better. If you see a dog ahead immediately slow down as much as possible and don't accelerate till your about even with him.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
imported post

Just got back into biking after 20 years due to an incident with a little doggie wandering the streets without ant control. Only 30 MPH, attempt to miss dog & lay down the bike, roll away & straight into a raised pedestrian crossing island. Result was a lightly damaged bike, a totally unharmed dog & me in hospital for 13 weeks in traction with a neck broken in several places and a broken hand. Paralysed in my right arm for 8 years. But now I am back & wouldn't even attempt to use the brakes or swerve if I encountered another Mutt

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

No matter how careful we are on our bikes ,it only takes something like this to bring it home to you that we are not made of steel,,so stay alert and ride safe...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

dellwood33 wrote:
Just got back into biking after 20 years due to an incident with a little doggie wandering the streets without ant control. Only 30 MPH, attempt to miss dog & lay down the bike, roll away & straight into a raised pedestrian crossing island. Result was a lightly damaged bike, a totally unharmed dog & me in hospital for 13 weeks in traction with a neck broken in several places and a broken hand. Paralysed in my right arm for 8 years. But now I am back & wouldn't even attempt to use the brakes or swerve if I encountered another Mutt
Believe it or not that is the proper way to handle a situation like this. Do not attempt to avoid the dog, you keep a straight line of fire. But or natural response is to try and avoid the animal, hence causing all kinds of problems including fatality. :(. It's great to see someone like yourself making a recovery from serious injuries and getting back on your bike again. Well done and Ride Safe. :D

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
imported post

Wow, this really could have been me. I am also a retired chemistry and physics teacher from Texas. :shock::shock::shock:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I hit a dog a long time ago. I was riding a Yamaha 250 enduro on a gravel road doing about 30-40 mph. Dog comes running out from a farm house. Normally a dog will make the turn to run with/at you. This one didn't. He ran out in front of me and I had no time to do anything except hit him. As I'm sailing through the air after the bike "endoed" I thought to myself "Yikes, this is going to leave a mark":shock:and it did. 13 stitches in my head(stupid helmet laws) and plenty of bumps and bruises.

I believe bracing the handlebars on our big bikes and staying the course is about the only "safe" procedure. Otherwise if you swerve in attempt to miss the critter you might swerve into oncoming traffic or take out something on the right side. I do think that hitting a deer might be an exception as you'd be likely to wear the deer if you kept on going straight. I hope I never find out.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I've come too close to hitting dogs many times.

This evening I'm helping an insurance company with a motorcycle accident re-construction involvinga motorcycle hitting a dog.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Even in the case of deer I think you're better off to keep the bike straight. Brake as much as possible but hit the target straight on. Unless you're real lucky a swerve is only going to make it worse.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

I hit a squirrel on a crotch rocket years ago and felt like Evil Knievel. I got more air off that thing than I do on my Snow mobile. It was a scary feeling to jump a squirrel.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
The other danger is an animal running in front of an oncoming car and the driver swerving into your lane to avoid it.

RIP rider

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
was wondering I tried this in September,, at 60 kilometers an hour my steering wheel starts to shake if I let go the handle bars.. not that I do this a lot but I was just trying this, a few years ago I changed my front bearing, and last summer my bushings,
as I at times ride with only one hand on my steering, at that time at 80 kilometers /hr it started shaking with one hand.. so I got the bushings changed..
any suggestions..
Completely off topic for this 9 year old tragic thread but, often a cupped front tire causes the vibration. The only fix for that is a new front tire.

·
Just Winging It
3,325 Posts
Last year I was riding in the rain around a long curve. I saw a ground hog coming to cross my path so I straightened up and throttled right over that little squishy speed bump. Just another day on 2 wheels.

When I know I'm going to run over a stray animal I:
1 straighten up
2 accelerate
3 hold the wheel loosely until it's firmly on the ground again

Of course I will slow down and try to avoid using an animal as a speed bump if possible.

I know a guy ran right through a young deer and split the deer in half. He fell off and got hurt but his bike kept going until it slowed down and fell over. I think if his bike kept going he could have stayed on. He said he was holding the wheel very firmly prior to the impact.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Well, when you are doing about 65 mph on four lane and a Oryx steps out of the bushes you will do all you can to miss him. I was lucky the animal slipped on the pavement and went down on his forelegs just as I swerved by him. Man, he has big eyeballs!!!! That happened several years ago riding to work at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico. I did pull over down the road to rest. I was shaking after the danger past.

·
Registered
68 Posts
2001 clipped a dog on a CB350 have a few scars from road rash bike just had a busted turn signal

2004 southern Ohio a cousin and her husband hit a deer on a GL1100A she had several surgeries and a knee replaced

2006 coming home from Honda Homecoming hit a rabbit on a chopped CB750
about tossed me off the seat from the bump and the rabbit got caught in the
chain. Short rear fender and no chain guard = mess

2010 friend in Illinois hits a deer RIP Mike
2010 another friend riding in NC hits deer goes down some road rash and bent forks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Man, how I hate to hear that. May the unfortunate rider rest in peace and may his family be at least a little comforted by the fact that he died while enjoying his favorite mode of transportation. That is all I'd want people to understand if it ever happened to me. We are all susceptable to the inherent risks of riding motorcycles. It is a part of our make-up and our lives. If you don't want risk, put a seat belt on and sit on your couch. He died doing what he loved, and no one can fault him for doing something he loved....like all bikers, we try to stay alert, but do not know what the Eternal plan is. Be as safe & alert as you can, ..take an MSF course, and know the best way to confront a situation like this on your motorcycle.
That is the most we can do, I'd say. Sorry for the loss of a fellow biker.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.