Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Forget trying to transform an elephant into a gazelle to appeal to a few aging boomers that haven't faced reality yet. Go back to building a solid, reliable machine, like the GL1500, but put 3 wheels on it for the other 90% of the boomer generation. We have money, but want to spend it on a product that has the reliability and customer service that built the Goldwing reputation.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

The GL1800 is a gazelle compared to the GL1500. Handles better, stops on a dime and weighs less. Honda got those parts right.

I do agree a trike from the factory would be a good idea. We aren't all going to be able to hold up a Goldwing when we get older, and a trike will let us keep riding a Wing when we might not be able to otherwise.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

That's why I have one. It is a travesty to pay upwards of 32 grand for a trike Honda won't touch, so they should build thier own version. Plus the trike shops themselves need the competition! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

I agree, if Honda made a trike version the extra cost to buy one would be a lot less than the cost of an after market conversion and would proberbly increase sales for Honda

:15white::15white::15white::15white: :15white:

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Yeah, these aftermarket trike companies have found a great demographic, and have invested a ton of work in design and production. All of em seem to have thier good points, and they are all pretty bullet proof. So Honda could really be able to fill the niche with a more affordable trike, with Honda working on them in the service departments. jimsjinx

·
Trike Master
1,217 Posts
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
It is a travesty to pay upwards of 32 grand for a trike Honda won't touch
You haven't priced a new "loaded" Wing w/a good trike conversion lately have you?

Try upwards of $40K and above!:sleepy:

·
Premium Member
12,685 Posts
imported post

I think they wont produce a factory trike because of the ATC lawsuits in there memory , even though its a totally different beast and demographc .

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

w.bishop wrote:
Will insurance be more or less with a trike?
Over here in SA you pay insurance on the value of your vehicle and your age is also taken into consideration. No diff between bike or trike , just the above as mentioned. :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

w.bishop wrote:
Will insurance be more or less with a trike?
I found the fully comp insurance on the trike had increased from when it was a motorcycle but then the value had increased considerably.

Would love to purchase a trike built by mother Honda but dont think would ever be in a position to afford one.:sadguy:

·
Administrator
20,568 Posts
imported post

No big insurance difference here..........

Attachments

·
Magic Moderator
4,215 Posts
imported post

Times are changing and Honda needs to produce their own trike, they're loosing a lot of sales. Harley Davidson saw the handwriting on the wall and teamed up with Lehman to produce a trike, Honda can do the same.

·
Honda Guru
2,009 Posts
imported post

When I was still in the dealership mode I asked the Honda Sales Rep about Honda building their own trike and he said that Honda will NEVER, EVER build another 3 wheel anything. This was back in the early 2000's so the memory ran deep with them. I was told that Honda was really scrambling to get the US government to NOT recall all the ATC models. That's why they completely complied with the ATV Consent Decree. At the dealership level we all had specific training how to handle the ATV Consent Decree, how to talk to customers, how NOT to sell an ATV to a customer when they acknowledged it was to be ridden by an underaged child, how to watch for dummy customers. According the the sales rep I was talking to if Honda had to recall all the ATC's it ever sold could have bankrupt Honda. I don't think they want to get back into the 3-wheelers despite it being a different demographic.

But remember to 'Never Say Never'.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

TrikeHuntin wrote:
Forget trying to transform an elephant into a gazelle to appeal to a few aging boomers that haven't faced reality yet. Go back to building a solid, reliable machine, like the GL1500, but put 3 wheels on it for the other 90% of the boomer generation. We have money, but want to spend it on a product that has the reliability and customer service that built the Goldwing reputation.
Well, I'm one of those "aging boomers" who "haven't faced reality yet." My question is: what is this reality you speak of? Perhaps it's that us aging guys are supposed to roll over and get out of the way of the younger folks? Not I, buddy-roo! I'm only 63, but plan to ride until it just doesn't work anymore. I'd rather ride on 2 wheels, but I feel safer (and you should too!) on 3 wheels for the time being.

As for the 'elephant to gazelle', I'm not sure to what that refers. Calling a Goldwing (any year) an elephant is dang near sacreligious... and I'm not sure that a trike qualifies as a gazelle...

To beat an old phrase to death, it's not what you ride, but that you ride!

Have fun anyway and watch out for us old geezers.

Grayowl

('03 Black Goldwing GL1800 with MotorTrike Adventure conversion)

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

Take it from an old geezer, I could never see the joy of a trike, however I now own one and let me say I never enjoyed riding this much. Now I look at those handling those big bikes and wonder when they will get the message

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

I think I would prefer the landing gear device that lowers two outrigger wheels at slow speeds and raises them automatically when getting under way. Not the large ones but the small ones which I have seen on some U-Tube videos. Riding (driving) a trike is not motorcycling in my humble opinion.
Bobby

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.