Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all, I have a 1981 GL 1100, my newest problem is going up high in the mountains, like 1500 m the bike surges and has no power, when I get to sea leavel its 95% better, I have changed the main jets from 145 to 140s, it has helped at sea leavel, the bike runs great but not high up? any help would be great.

thanks for looking

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Have you tried using different spark plugs? Sometimes a "hotter" plug can help at high altitudes.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yes hotter and colder, now I am at stock no.8s , I wonder if the slides are sticking or vac. is not holding properly in the chambers?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Today I took all the carbs slides out and polished them up, no marks on them at all, they slide nice in there chambers, I do not know what else to look for or at?

thanks for looking

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Actualy...my experience is there isn't much you can do, it is the nature of the beast,unless you carry bottled oxygen to ram in your carbs. The air is thin and that's just the way it is. My only suggestion is using high octane gas. I've cruised through Rogers Pass in Canada, Beartooth Pass in Wyoming, Mt.McKinnley in the Yukon and the Denali Range in Alaska and my bike has to work hard and sounds horrible cruising the heights. Like I said, high octane gas and a good set of plugs is the best you can do.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

High octane will probably help out a lot, but in countries where you just get unleaded is there an additive instead?

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

When riding at higher altitudes, Honda recommends resetting the pilot screws to the "high altitude" setting. The engine requires less fuel due to the thinner air and makes no mention of changing spark plugs. In essence, you want a leaner mixture up there.Don't forget to re-blance the carbs after setting the pilot screws..

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Yikes!!! I thought everyone would have access to high octane. In Canada we usualy have the choice of 3 grades. 88, 90, and depending on which sevice station you're at, 92 to 94 octane. If I pull into a gas station and they haven't at least got 92, I'll find another one. We can also purchase octane boost from service stations or auto part outlets.

Also, I wasn't suggesting to change your plugs just because you're going in the mountains, just always run a good set of plugs, and careful if you're always messing with your carbs. Sounds a little labour intensive if you are having to adjust your carbs and jets a couple of times a day running in and out of the big hills.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.