Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 Goldwing 1200 with progressive shocks 416. I currently have a leak, 50 PSI drop to 0 PSI overnight. I called progressive and they said they no longer support that shock. The guy I spoke with said if I had a oil leak you can still get rebuild kits but with an air leak the shock is no longer good, cannot get it rebuilt. Progressive says the shock to buy is a 412 which is not an air shock.

Can anybody speak to how I might rebuild the shock or is it now just an anchor.

Since progressive says to use a non air spring I was thinking about going with one of the ebay mid level shocks. The ebay shock is the exact measurements as a stock shock.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Wanted to sell you some 412s huh? Here you go. Try searching with Google for part #s like 76-5041 or 30-5041.

You may just have a line or fitting leak, mix a few drops of detergent with water and apply at fittings, etc... with a spray bottle or brush or fluffy cloth and inflate the shocks looking for air bubbles. Those fittings have two small generic O-rings in each, or fitting cap may be cracked (it is plastic).

I bought new Progressive 416s, air line adapter, and Progressive fork springs for my '85 GL1200A back in '97 for like $300 then, and recommended them to others. They were great, and still great when I sold that bike in June. If I had "not so long ago" bought 416s and found they suddenly dropped support, I'd be pi55ed, but mine are 21 years old on my '97 GL1500SE trike, it having been triked in 1998. I have a couple spare seal kits on hand, as well as three more 416s given me when a trike converter closed up shop (his spares for quick fixes) along with some other stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a bubble leak test and all the lines were good, at least at the connections. The guy I spoke with at Progressive said you could repair a fluid leak using the kit you showed but an air leak is a whole different story. If the air is leaking then the internal piston is leaking and its non repairable. The instructions for the rebuild that was provided just replace the oil seals.

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
I don't doubt that there are wrecks that can't be fixed, but in the case of these 416s, you use air to blow out the old seals so they must hold some air, or those O-rings up top? I see that Amazon has the heavier duty springs still from Progressive that fit OEM Honda GL shocksd. Not that you need them, nor I, but someone may. Maybe they can't be fixed, I don't know where they leak, but pricing replacements would have me looking close. I might even get a pair of springs, some take off OEM shocks, & rebuild them with the springs & seals (same) and new oil. I had a nice '85, just over 70,xxx miles, Corbin, etc I had since 1995 and had a tough time getting serious buyer interest at $1500.

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,365 Posts
I did a bubble leak test and all the lines were good, at least at the connections. The guy I spoke with at Progressive said you could repair a fluid leak using the kit you showed but an air leak is a whole different story. If the air is leaking then the internal piston is leaking and its non repairable. The instructions for the rebuild that was provided just replace the oil seals.
That guy is really trying to sell some new shocks. The seals hold both the oil and the air. Make sure it's not an external air leak.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have 2 documents from Progressive that will be of use in the rebuild of your shocks, if you want them. They are pdf format and aren't valid attachment files. If you want them, please send a pm with your e-mail address and I'll send them along.

Attachments

·
Administrator
57,448 Posts
I have 2 documents from Progressive that will be of use in the rebuild of your shocks, if you want them. They are pdf format and aren't valid attachment files. If you want them, please send a pm with your e-mail address and I'll send them along.
if you use Manage Attachments, PDF files can be uploaded.

I just now uploaded a Cruise Control PDF in this post

Attachments

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was able to download the files no problem. I ended up buying the ebay shock and will install them while I try to rebuild the 416's. Hopefully I can get started this weekend.

I built a compression tool to work on the Shoee original shocks but ended up buying the progressive 416's on ebay and installed them instead. It doesn't sound like I will need it. I can't remember what I did on the original shocks but the tool I built was kinda cool.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Just in case ... 10-21-19

Seal kit should fix that, just don't ding the lower shock body.

Bought a spare set myself last week.

Ok I have pulled the 416 air shocks and installed the spring shocks from ebay. I figured out where the leak is coming from, see pic.
Well was it the lower seal or not? How did the spring swap work for you?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts