Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Goldwing 1800 which currently has 27,000 miles on it. The bike is in like new shape and has given me no problems. Occasionally when I get off the bike there is a hot smell, like burned rubber. I don't get this all the time and it isn't overwhelming but it is detectable. The dealer can't find anything wrong but I continue to get the smell from time to time and the cooling system seems to be working fine. The smell APPEARS to be coming from the real wheel area. I pay very close attention to tire inflation and checked to see that nothing is rubbing. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I have a 2006 Goldwing 1800 which currently has 27,000 miles on it. The bike is in like new shape and has given me no problems. Occasionally when I get off the bike there is a hot smell, like burned rubber. I don't get this all the time and it isn't overwhelming but it is detectable. The dealer can't find anything wrong but I continue to get the smell from time to time and the cooling system seems to be working fine. The smell APPEARS to be coming from the real wheel area. I pay very close attention to tire inflation and checked to see that nothing is rubbing. Any thoughts?
Probably electronic. Have you pulled the seat and checked for any burned plugs under the seat?

·
Administrator
27,926 Posts
I sure thought I replied to this, got lost somewhere I guess.
Have you checked the tire pressure? A low tire gets very hot.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I had the same thing with my 07 .
I looked everywhere and could find nothing wrong!
Now that I have a 2012 it does exactly the same thing!
Just maybe it is coming from the heated grips but I no longer worry about it.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I doubt this is the problem, but make sure the rubber boot that connects from the transmission to the drive shaft hasn't come loose. At one time, this was a problem with 1800s.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So Prosso, yours was intermittent also and smelled like burned rubber? Smelled like it was coming from the rear tire well some place?

·
Premium Member
67,740 Posts
I used to get a rubber smell when I had my Shadow.. It was from my boots touching the hot exhaust pipes.. The rubber would get hot and you could smell it when you stopped

·
650 Posts
my 2012 has the same problem if it is a problem sometimes it has a rubber burnt smell when i park it after a ride. it puzzles me when i smell it not sure where to begin to look because it doesnt last that long

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
So Prosso, yours was intermittent also and smelled like burned rubber? Smelled like it was coming from the rear tire well some place?
Yes, intermittent.
I think that it is mostly happening in the wet.
Or maybe slightly wet.
But I have checked this out many times and I really do not think that you should be concerned about this what-so-ever.

Paul

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
A little confusing... griz asked the same question on the Tech forum here. Check responses there also.;)

Corventure Dave

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all of you who gave me suggestions on dealing with the intermittent burned rubber smell on my 2006 GL 1800. I was following up on those and I may have come across another potential cause. There are two rubber hoses that are routed down from the coolant reservoir that come out under the bike right behind the left foot peg and both can contact multiple hot surfaces. There is a retainer clip to keep them away from the exhaust pipe and I ended up using a zip tie to secure them to that retainer, we’ll see.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I'm up in Manitoba and often have a burnt smell from the bike but I think it is from cooked bugs, you know, the ones that don't get spread out on the fairing and slip through to roast on the engine.

Regards,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.