Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gl1800
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So My 2002 1800GS would not start....and I sort of heard it developing to the day she wouldn't roll over, and just before that the reverse died. I replaced the solenoids A & B. Still did not start. Next I got a starter from DB electrical. I disassembled the bike for 3hrs, I replaced the starter after giggling through the master cylinder to loosen and retighten that 3rd bolt and that master cylinder had to be totally loosened but not disconnected. Reassembled everything, moment of truth...It started! Road it a couple of times without problem. However, the start-up did not sound quite as smooth as the OEM starter, a little raspy, and requiring a little long push on the button. However, on the 10th trip, probably 15th start. It did not catch, then it didn't turn over, and then when I pressed the bike went totally dead. It would appear to be a fuse blew, brought on by a short in the $130 starter, that fried on the 15th start out of the DB electrical box. Damn them!

Does anyone have any ideas? All of the connections were tight and covered. This was not a grounding problem. I've not looked for the blown fuse, but I know it is there. no front lights, no panel connect. Nothing :(. Any insights welcome. Not looking forward to re-replacing the starter.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I would rebuild the original starter. They typically just need bearings and brushes and are good to go. Most aftermarket electrical parts are poor quality. There is a reason the OEM is expensive, but worth it. Also it is always better to properly diagnose a problem before just throwing parts at it. The starter is not fused as it draws way too much current for that. If the starter did short, you may have melted a terminal or the contacts in a solenoid. So get a meter and start tracing power. Do you have the wiring diagram?

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
So My 2002 1800GS would not start....and I sort of heard it developing to the day she wouldn't roll over, and just before that the reverse died. I replaced the solenoids A & B. Still did not start. Next I got a starter from DB electrical. I disassembled the bike for 3hrs, I replaced the starter after giggling through the master cylinder to loosen and retighten that 3rd bolt and that master cylinder had to be totally loosened but not disconnected. Reassembled everything, moment of truth...It started! Road it a couple of times without problem. However, the start-up did not sound quite as smooth as the OEM starter, a little raspy, and requiring a little long push on the button. However, on the 10th trip, probably 15th start. It did not catch, then it didn't turn over, and then when I pressed the bike went totally dead. It would appear to be a fuse blew, brought on by a short in the $130 starter, that fried on the 15th start out of the DB electrical box. Damn them!

Does anyone have any ideas? All of the connections were tight and covered. This was not a grounding problem. I've not looked for the blown fuse, but I know it is there. no front lights, no panel connect. Nothing :(. Any insights welcome. Not looking forward to re-replacing the starter.
There’s no fuse in the starter motor’s current path, but if everything is dead you should check the 100A main A fuse. Does the horn blow? What does the voltage read on the battery terminals with the key on?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts