Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

In 2009 i purchased a goldwing 1800, 2008 model, brand new out of the box. At 4,000 mi. I changed the oil. I now have 7,000 mi. on her. I'm planning to take a long trip south and I wanted to have the bike checked out by the dealer. i was told that it would cost me over $400.00 and that because i changed the oil myself and there is no record of dealership matainance that if there is any warranty issues they probably would not want to honor the warranty, is this true? and is it nessessary that a dealer do the work? I believe that i'm pretty handy with a wrench and i can read a service manual.

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

As far as I know (opinion here, not necessarily fact) Honda cannot deny you warranty coverage based on no records at the dealer. The book recommends oil changes every 8K miles. You only have 7K.What's his issue? You're not due yet...
You should keep your own records, though. If you ever have an oil related warranty problem, you will need the records. That said, I've never heard of a Wing having an oil related problem. Rear end / rear end seals, the occasional transmission or alternator, but Goldwing engines are not very sophisticated for the 21st century, and are way understressed, so they tend to live forever.
I KNOW they couldn't deny you coverage for something like a rear end, that had nothing to do with oil changes.
I lost a rear end on mine, and I've only had mine back to the dealer once for maintenance. I was handed a pretty big bill for an oil change (My car only casts $35. Why should a bike be well over $100?) so I never took it back. I was covered, no problem.
It sounds to me like your dealer is feeding you a ration of poop, to create fear, uncertainty, and doubt, and get you back using his service department.

JMHO,

=Dave=

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

If it's the same dealer you bought the bike from I'd have the salesman or somebody by the neck by now. No dealer can dictate who does preventative maintenance. They can only deny warranty coverage if a part fails due to lack of or improper maintenance. A good response to the jerk telling you that would be "really? you sure about that? I will call Honda, the better business bureau, and my attorney and see if you're telling me the truth." Suddenly when people like that find out they are going to be held accountable for lying they usually change their tune pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

some dealers say if you dont get your vehicle serviced and have our oem oil and filters installed that it voids the warranty that is totally false no where in any warranty manual does it state these things

find another dealer or just call honda directly and report the incident then that'll turn the dealers head around

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I can't imagine that would be anywhere near correct. I agree with the others. Either take your business elsewhere or complain to someone that can make a difference for the dealer. Which dealer is it so we know not to go there. Oh, and $100+ for an oil change :shock: that's why I do my own work.

·
Trike Master
1,247 Posts
imported post

You do need to keep receipts to prove you have done the reccommended service work in case of a warranty issue.
As to the $400 service. If you have or get a service manual you can do most of the things youself.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
imported post

Based on the information in your post jameek, your dealer cannot void your warranty. So long as Honda OEM parts were used and the work carried out by a competent person/wrench/someone qualified to change the oil, Honda can't void your warranty either. If you used quality oil designed to work in your engine, they can't void your warranty.

Also, if say the final drive or the brakes fail or develop a fault, nether a dealer nor Honda can void your warranty because a non-related service item (like your oil change) wasn't carried out by a dealer. It is no longer acceptable in law to void an entire warranty by using the excuse that a non related service item or repair was not carried out by an approved dealer.

They also cannot void your warranty because you did not bring your machine in for a 600 mile inspection. That is no longer required (although it does sometimes get used as a defence), but you are under no obligation to bring the machine in for a 600 (or whatever mileage) inspection whether it be a free inspection or at your expense.
All that is required is that you bring the machine into a dealer if you need to report a fault.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.