Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi wing mates could anyone tell me could i fit theys timing belts on my 1992 se wing and what tools would i want.to fit them.my bloke at my garage is messing me about just wandered if i could do these myself,ive done bikes before like scott flying squirrel and odd harley,norton coventry eagel ok supreem.douglas dragen fly. sunbeam,these all bring back memorys,had a lot in my time had a garden full years ago sold them all for £30 each as dad wanted the space.35 in all like to have them now be worth a bob or two ok thanks geoff sixfore 123

Attachments

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Not a big deal to change the belts. In the FAQ forum you have a good step by step explanation with pictures. You'll need just a usual tools (few wrenches, etc.).

However, be careful and don't hurry, do it right. As told in tutorial, very important, after you've fited the new belts, BEFORE you try to start the engine turn it by hand several turns to make sure everything is OK.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanks alex i thought there might be a special tool to undo the sprockets or something i think ill have a go if he has nt started on it this week it now gone on for two weeks he keep saying ill start next week,and there is a special spanner yoy have to have and they cost about £300 ok mate thanks again sixfore123 geoff

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Not a 1500 such as your amazing example, but it took simple hand tools for my 1100's belts. Like he said, be absolutely SURE you have everything lined up right with the marks. I double, triple checked everything before cranking it over by hand. Fortunately I did it right...whew.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

SIXFORE123 wrote:
....i thought there might be a special tool to undo the sprockets or something ....

No need to undoany sprocket, at least not on early models and I'm pretty sure that you don't have to do that on 1500 either!

When removing sprockets (to remove the head or something) then you do need a special tool to fix it in place to undo the bolt, but you don't need it to change the belts.

Good luck!:waving:

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

hi thanks all of you for the info and putting my mind at rest if he hasent started this week ill have the bike home and start on it myself it seems straight foward after all you wing mates have done these belts your selves, you some times have too, if you dont have a garage to help you,not only that you get to understand the workings of this wonderfull machine,thanks again best regards to all geoff

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Yeah follow the directions on here that Rudy did, step by step, don't skip anything, especially the first time doing it. It doesn't take much more than a Phillips screwdriver, and a couple wrenches. It is fairly simple, but as said, kind of time consuming. I did it in about 8 hours, but next time I think I can do it in about 3-4. Mainly because I wasn't sure how to get the fairing pieces off.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

yeah sixfore123 why all the ant. I tell you what . I am missing an ant why not get rid of some of that and make some cash for those timing belt tools.

I think so many antenas are cancerous, or may be against some religions. You wouldnt want to offend any religion now would you???

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

OK YOU LOT. I GOT THE BIKE LAST YEAR ONLY GOT 8K ON IT BEEN WRAPED UP ALL ITS LIFE.SO I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE ANT S BUT I KNOW THEY ARE A PAIN,I PUT A CLIP ON THEM TO GET OUT OF THE GARAGE AND THEN GET OFF AGAIN TO PUT THEM UP,BUT THERE,THIS ONE IS REALLY GOOD NOT A MARK ON IT,LIKE JUST OUT OF THE SHOP,NO IVE GOT ALL THE BELTS AND FILTERS OIL S TYRES,JUST WAITING FOR THIS SO CALLED MACHANIC TO DO IT,BEEN PUTTING ME OFF FOR ABOUT THREE WEEKS.GOING DOWN IN MORNING TO SEE HIM AND IF HE HASENT STARTED. IM BRINGING IT HOME AND DOING IT MYSELF/THANKS TO ALL SIXFORE123

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

the only reason im changing them is i dont know how long the one on have been there on the bike hate them to brake,what a mess that would be.yes if you havent done these before its looking for the bolts i suppose what take time;and it will be 5 tears or 50,000 miles before you do it again,by that time you d forget it all and away you go again.at 68 its easy some times forget what i go in the shed for,oh yes a screwdriver geoff

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

I thought you had all those antennastrying to get reception off the Space Shuttle. Or Sputnik.

Real good idea on changing your belts. Change the coolant hoses too while you're in there.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

i do some times but they look good,while i was ghanging the belts and putting it all back,i noticed the speaker wire has broken,so ill have to fix that,and now found a book on the cell phone on the wing,with the number,as i want a hand bit for it some one made off with the one i had on it,cant leave it anymore sit with it as it wiil go!!!some one wiil have it.do you belly ache or what ha ha you go sox

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.