Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey everyone,

I'm Leon Kolenda (southerndude) of digitalbrushes.com, the T-Shirt guy.

Well, I'm beginning to look for a used Goldwing, I now have a 2006 BMW R1200 GS.
Great bike, I think I'm going to keep it. It's loaded to the max as far as Accessories go. Here is a pic attached of my current ride. I have been coast to coast 2 times with it and many long side trips.

I'm a photographer, designer, and I'm needing to pack more gear when I go on some longer trips that I'm starting to plan for this 2009 season. My problem is, I love my GS but I can't tow a trailer/camper with it so I think I want to Go with a Goldwing as my long distance ride towing a trailer/camper.

SOOOooo, not being a Goldwing aficionado, I'm looking for some good positive feedback and info on both the right choices to make and what and why to stay away from in the Used Goldwing world, I'm not apposed to the GL1500 either.
If anyone knows of a great buy I would love the link or contact email.

Pros and cons on High Miles, what is too high? I'm looking for reliability.

SO, heres your chance, to convert me, take me baby I'm all yours!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

For real long distance riding and pulling a trailer I don't think you can beat a 1500. Has the best seating arrangement and largest capacity for storage. Still plenty of low mileage ones around.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Thank you Leon for your "T shirts" they are great, mine match our White 1500 to the "T". Our 1500 has been coast to coast a couple of times with the trailer in tow. Gas, oil a coup,e of set of tires & a Compufire last summer. 10 - 12 hours / day not a problem, can't go wrong, If our prices were like yours doun there I'd have another in a flash.:action::action::action::action::waving:

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

Hi southerndude

Would you mind filling in your location under you profile when you have a spare minute.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Hey, he's in Myrtle Beach!! Just a 3-4 hr ride from me! Ok, there's a guy in Spartanburg that has a beautiful 95 or 96 1500 fully loaded with trailer hitch and cb kit with low miles(less than 30,000 I think) and he only wanted 7500 for it when I last talked to him. I'll run to town tomorrow and see if I can locate him and see if it's still available. Already has a custom Corbin seat on it complete with Corbin backrest for both riders.

Here's some pics of it I took back in September.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

I would have to agree that if you have an inseam of 30" or more the 1500 is a beautiful bike to ride. Smooth ride, lots of power and seemingly low maintenance costs.

I traded my 09 1500 with 116,000 miles and although I do love my 1800 it's not as smooth as the 1500.

However, based on what you ride now, you'll find that the 1800 handles really well. :waving:

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Hi Leon, Welcome to a great site. Just how many miles a yr would you put on your bike? 2 - Whatwould be your budget for this bike if any? How long do you think you would want to keep it? this is one site to look for a good bike, and there is also another couple of large clubs to check out also, as usually these bikes are well looks after too. Check out the GWTA.org web site, and the GWRRA.org web site for used Goldwings. It's not hard to tell when a wing is abused or not maintained. Good luck on your hunt and let us know how you made out with it. :waving: :)

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I've talked with many 1800 owners that were previously 1500 owners, that have spent a lot of money trying to make their 1800's as comfortable as their 1500's were. That said, there are also a lot of 1800 owners that think their 1800's are the best thing since sliced bread. That said, try to get a little saddle time on both to see what suits you best. The 1500 is generally more comfortable for the rider than the 1800, and vice versa for the pillion, but not everybody agrees on this. The 1500 has more bag room. Both will get you lots of miles. A 1500 recently sold on ebay with more than 500,000 miles on the original motor, by the original owner, and still not using oil. I'm guessing most won't go that high but that should be a testament to the reliability of these engines. :) There are lots of garage queens out there though with very low mileage, so if that's what you're looking for, just watch the ads. I picked up my 2000SE in August will less than 9000 miles. Either the 1500 or 1800 will tow a trailer well.

John

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

Ok, which is the better bike for us long legged folks who have an inseam of 35"?:)

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

duffytclown wrote:
Ok, which is the better bike for us long legged folks who have an inseam of 35"?:)
The 1500 will give you more leg room.

John

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

Thanks, that is what I thought, be it is nice to know for sure. :)

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Dang, went by that barber shop to find out that guys name and it's closed, out of business.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

southerndude wrote:
Hey everyone Thanks for the input. I now have a few questions. Does any of the GL1500's come with ABS Brakes? What year did they start if they did?

Also, Can I hear some input on this listing, Sure looks sweet!
http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2000-Honda-GL1500-ASPENCADE-88492031

Thanks,

Leon
db

Unfortunately Honda did not see fit to put ABS on the 1500's. It started with the 1800's but not sure if it started right away in 2001 or came later. Most people advertising 1800's will state if it has ABS, because that is a high dollar item. You have to buy the fully loaded model to get ABS. :X

The 1500 in the ad you linked is a nice bike, but he's pushing the price envelope. The SE's blue book value is around $11,000 and it is a higher end bike than the Aspencade. They often sell for more than book value, but again $13K is really pushing it, even for a 5000 mile bike. My 2000SE with less than 9K miles was advertised for $13k, but I paid a lot less than that. I admit I got a great deal, but I would bargain with this guy if I were you, and use blue book values as a bargaining tool

edit - Just did a quick blue book check. NADA guide has average retail for this bike of $8546. Kellly blue book has it at $8565. Again, they frequently bring more than blue book value, but it's a good bargaining chip. :)

John

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
southerndude wrote:
Hey everyone Thanks for the input. I now have a few questions. Does any of the GL1500's come with ABS Brakes? What year did they start if they did?

Also, Can I hear some input on this listing, Sure looks sweet!
http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2000-Honda-GL1500-ASPENCADE-88492031

Thanks,

Leon
db

Unfortunately Honda did not see fit to put ABS on the 1500's. It started with the 1800's but not sure if it started right away in 2001 or came later. Most people advertising 1800's will state if it has ABS, because that is a high dollar item. You have to buy the fully loaded model to get ABS. :X

The 1500 in the ad you linked is a nice bike, but he's pushing the price envelope. The SE's blue book value is around $11,000 and it is a higher end bike than the Aspencade. They often sell for more than book value, but again $13K is really pushing it, even for a 5000 mile bike. My 2000SE with less than 9K miles was advertised for $13k, but I paid a lot less than that. I admit I got a great deal, but I would bargain with this guy if I were you, and use blue book values as a bargaining tool

edit - Just did a quick blue book check. NADA guide has average retail for this bike of $8546. Kellly blue book has it at $8565. Again, they frequently bring more than blue book value, but it's a good bargaining chip. :)

John
I may be wrong here, but wasn't it the Aspencade that came with no reverse gear?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Aspencade had it. Interstate didn't.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,688 Posts
imported post

Just caught this thread. And I'm also going to say that if you have a 35" inseam, the 1800 is going to kill your knees big time.

I have a 30" inseam and the 1800 feels good to me, but my knees just barely missed the fairing.

·
12,840 Posts

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Well, It looks like that Black SE is a dead link and bad phone#.

Anyhow, I found this GL1500 today. The dealer is a used Motorcycle dealer in Milwaukee, WI, Exports overseas and my shipping cost would be around $600.00 to South Carolina. He said his best price is $8695.00 And that in the spring he could get $9500.00 He also mentioned that there state has to have a 30 point inspection. on all Motorcycles prior to selling. Seems like an experienced nice person. It has a few extras, but notvery many. It has no trailer hitch, He said it's in very clean condition and runs great, has been serviced locally, one owner. What do you think? :)

http://revdeals.com/cycle_inventory/index.php?ss=off&action=displayBig&iteminfo=solo|hpim2783.jpg

Thanks,

Leon

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.