Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

goldwing clutch

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  siataukreg 
#1 ·
imported post

have 94 gl1500 interstate. was riding in parade. clutch lever went limp and couldnt shift. engine would die when stopped because no clutch. after sitting clutch will work and shift but when you give gas she revives up and clutch is slipping i guess she will pull but just little at time. when you get about 35 or 40 she slips all the time. does she need new clutch plates?

#6 ·
imported post

I would start with checking the fluid level and/orreplace the clutch master cylinder.

...clutch lever went limp and couldn't shift...

...engine would die when stopped because no clutch...

a...when you get about 35 or 40 she slips all the time..
A limp lever wouldcould be air or worn out seals. Worn seals can function or fail intermittently.

Slipping would be no disengagement of the hydraulic fluid (compensating port blockage in master cylinder) or very worn clutch disk (metal to metal).

The clutch slave cylinder could also be sticking, but this maybe less common.

I wonder what the average life expectancy is on the friction disk replacement.

Have you just recently noticed your clutch slipping?

I would start with the less costly repairs.

#7 ·
imported post

i hate to rain on your parade!! but i think you got bad fluid in your clutch master...change it and maybe the clutch is ready

#10 ·
imported post

Have you changed your engine oil recently?
Does anyone have experience in using the wrong type of oil?

They say not to use thereally good oils with friction modifiers due to the wet friction plates.

I know on some Army trucks, we use a standard engine oilinAllison transmission per Lube Orders (LO/TMs). These Allison transmission were designed to use Dextron 10wt.

Even though we know it is wrong to use, I was just wondering if these friction modifieroils would cause the clutch to slip a lot or just a little.

#11 ·
imported post

Only if it was full synthetic oil ,But I would suspect it is a fluid problem ,In a parade if you have old fluid in the system it will heat up and the lever goes dead as if you have no clutch and after it cools down you could have done some damage to the seals and it is not fully releasing the clutch ,I would go with changing the fluid first and then look at the plates .They can be changed without taking the engine out as long as the basket is not damaged ,,Ciaran

#12 ·
imported post

well i did the oil change, the mmo, drain and took apart masterclyinder it was fine. had dirty mud like gunk in bottom of bowl. just a little. cleaned every thing in dot 4 refilled and bled the lines at slave. could ride still slipped but was some better. but clutch now gone completely. need to rebuild. know where i can get parts beside dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.