Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi,

I own a goldwing GL1100, I purchased it and it needs a lot of TLC. I was wondering that since I was rebuilding the carbs etc, would it make sense to upgrade the engine to 1800 instead as the parts etc are easy to get. please let me know if I am barking up the wrong tree or if it makes sense to make the upgrade. I am getting a rebuilt engine for 1500/= that is why I am interested in the upgrade.

Thanks for your help,

VJ

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

You would have to be a very talented fabricator to fit the 1800 engine in the 1100 frame. There are other difficulties to overcome as well, such as the cooling system, the fuel injection and electronic modules, the hydraulic clutch and output to final drive.

Unless your engine is hooped there is nothing wrong with the 1100 motor. It is still quite strong, and very few folks have ever found the need to separate the cases before 250,000 or more miles. I understand that new parts for the engine, like bearings and piston rings are no longer available but you would be better off looking for a good used 1100 or a 1200 engine if yours is toast, since the 1200 is very similar and could be fitted without too much trouble.

The 1800 engine is very much larger in size, so much so that the radiator had to be split in two and mounted above and to the sides.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Goldwing_1982 wrote:
Hi,

I own a goldwing GL1100, I purchased it and it needs a lot of TLC. I was wondering that since I was rebuilding the carbs etc, would it make sense to upgrade the engine to 1800 instead as the parts etc are easy to get. please let me know if I am barking up the wrong tree or if it makes sense to make the upgrade. I am getting a rebuilt engine for 1500/= that is why I am interested in the upgrade.

Thanks for your help,

VJ
Welcome to the forum Goldwing_1982

You didn't say how many miles on you bike in your profile or explanation.

Rebuilt motor for $1500 or a rebuilt GL1500 motor? Rebuilt GL1100 motor is probably a hoax. Heads off many but the price is high. You can get low mile motor(GL1100) for $300-$500 that will be fine to swap yours with.
Gl1200 motor will fit with some modifications, worth the effort? Your call.
GL1500/GL1800 motor in the 1100 frame, Buy yourself the correct bike for the correct motor, save yourself a bunch of time and money and troubles and have more riding time.:action:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,325 Posts
imported post

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Anything is possible, but I suspect just ditchin' the 11 and buying a decent used 18, would save you some money andmany thousand hours of time, to boot.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

So Sharona says to Mr Monk, "well, anything's possible! (referring to some "miracle") isn't it?
Mr Monk, says "That's not actually correct, some things are what they call, im....possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.