Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Expectant GoldWing owner here asking for help in finding a source for the very low profile GW trunk that has been offered in Germany at some point in Honda's history. Thanks for any help. Another alternative is the possible existence of a kit to remove the trunk and replace with simple luggage rack.

Thanks, Ken

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks but Nope, I am looking to lessen the original trunk size if not eliminate it.

I know, sounds crazy but I am coming off sport tourers and do not like to weight of the trunk and do not need the space.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Only the German market gets the pancake trunk (about 4" high) and cut down screen. Truth is that most Germans hate it and they buy their GL1800s in from other countries so as to get around the legislation for height on bikes made for their market.

I think you would have to buy that trunk from a Honda dealer in Germany. Have you ever seen them? They look terrible and you can barely fit a laptop case into them.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,884 Posts
imported post

can you even hide a pizza in that thing ? man thats thin . I think I would skip it and find a way to have just a rack .

It seems there was a photo a few weeks back of someones bike sans topbox . I cant recall what the posting was about to search for it :sadguy:

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

I saw a picture once but never live. I agree that the regular trunk looks good just don't think I like the extra weight up high. Maybe this is just a "get used to it" thing. I have ridden the wing a little and I know it handles really well so I might not notice it in the end.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Most of us just put as much luggage in the saddlebags as possible first, to keep the weight low. To be honest, the Wing is so heavy that you won't notice the extra weight in the trunk.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Yes, I think you are right after you get used to it. My main desire though is to have less weight when I am not touring, just running around town, etc. The other option is to remove it and replace with a luggage rack. On my K1200 now I just carry two small duffle bags when touring. Thanks,

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I too have seen the odd picture of this done, but on both the 1500 and 1800 model, this will involve covering over a whole mass of "stuff" that the truck hides away, including a none too elegant rear fender section.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
imported post

I've seen pictures of three 12's with the trunk removed. Its not an 18, I know, but if you can't scrounge up a pic or two of an 18 with the trunk removed maybe you could get idea from the 1200 pics. They are on GL1200goldwings.com.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,103 Posts
imported post

I get it about weight, that is why I have an 1100 standard model. I can throw it around pretty good. The 1800 is very powerful and handles well, but it is not a light weight...

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

I don't know if this is the kind of look you are looking for but here is a pick of a trunkless 1200. I have heard people say that they have replaced the trunk hardware with aftermarket racks or racks off of other cruiser Hondas. There are better pics out there but this is one I just happen to have in my gallery.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

the trunk on GL1200 and 1100 are easy to remove. Not so on the GL1800 (I don't know about the 1500) because the trunk also houses the opening mechanism for the saddlebags. I don't see this as being an easy modification.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

Yes, indeed, that it what I want. It appears that you gentlemen are spot on. The 1200 is pretty easy and the 1800 is pretty hard, not sure about the 1500. Maybe I will go for the 1200 instead.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.