Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi good day to all my name is Martin I'm new here I'm a wheelchair user from South Africa and cant use my lower body and legs at all I have a Goldwing GL1000 with a sidecar at the momentI just use the front brakes of the bike my idea is as follows:-

To use the standard brake on the R/H handlebars for one disc in front and a new brake on the left hand bar for the other front disc and therear disc, what master cylinder do you suggest that I use.

My next option, the sidecar has got a disk brake with a foot brake like on the rear wheel of the bike. ShouldI connect the sidecar wheel and rear wheel of the bike together and what master cylinder should I use and from what car or bike.

Thank you for your interest

Martin

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
imported post

Martin, I am not sure of what to suggest, but I can tell you that 1200's have an integrated front and rear brake, as well as a front only brake.

Using the proportioning valve from one of them, along with some ingenuity, should get you all the brakes you need.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Welcome from South Carolina!:waving:

I can't help, but I'm sure one of the 1000 guys will be along shortly to help you.

:coollep:SB in SC

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Very interesting situation.

How is your bike setup now? You are talking about adding a brake lever to the left handlebar, so where is your clutch and how do you shift without the use of your legs? Suicide shifter?

Yes a 83 1100 I believe has the linked brake system similar to the 1200's. It operates one disc in the front and the back brake at the same time. This would be far the easiest to adaptto fit your situation.

If you are serious and looking for these parts I think a couple of guys on the Nekid Board have undone thier linked systems. Those parts may be available very reasonably.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome Mr Wheelchair . This is an interesting project . AS Whiskerfish ,I too am curious about clutch/shifting setup. I can envision a clutch handle mounted to a special shift lever . I would actually leave the 2 front brakes conected as they come from the factory . If they are in good working order they should doat least50% of the braking . IT would bepossible to use a proportioning valve from an integrated system,and use the front master to operate one front and one rear . Be aware that the integrated systems have smaller pistons on the front caliper . So there could still be a balance problem using the 1000 calipers.( the bikes with integrated brakes use dual piston calipers.)

I think for a master cylinder to fit/ work the left handle bar you will be limitied to clutch masters . I am not sure they will provide enough fluid movement to operate 2 disc calipers. ITs a possibility .

I also wonder in a panic stop how to use the clutch and 2 brake masters at once if needed.

I think the best system would incorporate the sidecar brake along with the bikes 3 disc . The problem would be in balancing the total system .

I could wonder about the use of a master from a very small european or aisian car to operate all the disc at one time . Again balancing would be trial and error . AS well as how to mount an automotive master to handlebars.

After all this thinking outloud .... I would leave the fronts alone and add a hydraulic clutch master to the left side and use it for the rear wheel .

Last thoughts.......YOU could look into GO-Cart applications or small race cars. I think they have parallel master cylinders avalable in which you can adjust the balance of pressure between the masters . IF you could adapt that to the left handlebar , you might make that work for the rear and the side car .

probly lots of dribble here but maybe it gives you some ideas to follow up .

I wish you well on this project . Please let us know how you proceed and if it works out.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

A device such as this can be used to shift with. Kliktronic Electric Shifters From Freebird Custom Motorcycles

As for the brakes, how about a long shift lever that controls both the front and rear brakes at the same time. Have a bracket fabricated to mount on the rear brake and secure to the frame with and eccentric cam , and use a secondary master cylinder for the front also remounted to the frame with a cicrular cam wheel so the forward movement of the lever actuates the front brakes as well.

I know hard to understand what is on my mind. There is a web site somewhere that has many handicapped members and those who are unfortunate enough to have lost both legs. They have bikes with side cars and trikes all set up for their use. One fellow did an 83,000 mile ride in 10 months I think . They have photos of their bikes, if I can find it, it will be very helpful.

I will hunt for it tomorrow.

Kit

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thank You all for your input

I think its a good idea to keep the front standard as it has 50% of braking. Think I will now connect the bike rear wheel and sidecar wheel together on a master cylinder the master cylinder of the 1200. Can that be turned upside down as it must now be on the left sideI am thinking of the brake fluid reserve

I use a Kliktronic to shift the gears i still have to use a clutch, but that part works good

Martin

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

A big warm welcome to the site Mr Wheelchair, good to have you on board. :waving:

Whilst I am not one of those able to help you with technical advice, here is a link to the main disabled riders organisation in the UK and I do believe they help with adaptions so that folks can ride. If they can't help directly, I would guess they have plenty fo folks with experience of such things within their ranks.

http://www.nabd.org.uk/whoare.htm

I hope this is useful to you.

We do have one or two other wheelchair bound members and I am sure they would be keen to be in touch.

Enjoy the forums here and please visit often.

:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

The 1200 front brake master can not be turned upside down to use on the left side . The fluid would not drain into the plunger ports , so no pressure would be applied. I suppose you could mount it on the left side with the clamp at the very end of the bar and the lever pointing towards the center of the bike . IT would look a bit odd but that will be a workable position for the master .

Or another thought , mount the 1200 front master on the inboard side of the left bar . You would then push the lever instead of pull it .

I think I might use another 1000 front master because it is designed to operate 2 calipers . IT should move enough volume of fluid to do the rear and sidecar calpers .

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

If you need a master cylinder on the left side, consider a clutch master cylinder from a 1200.

John

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

havingdriven sidecars, yes a brake on the sidecar wheel is a good idea. a rear OEM off an integrated 1100 or 1200, can easily run both the rear wheel and sidecar, but would not work in your case... the front OEM off your 1000 cannot run four brakes. a beefed up front master could (but I do not know who makes one) and the dilemma of having two front masters is that pesky "third hand" issue of two brake levers and also a clutch lever.

you might also try the wbsite of the United Sidecar Association (in the USA) over the years I know the USCA has had members who were parapalgic and even double amputees, there may be some members there who have some suggestions for you

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Hi John and everybody else

Can it be as simple as to use a 1200 clutch master cylinder with a T ? why didn'tI think about that? All those sleepless nights for nothing well at leastI was thinking bike! Next question does anybody have an idea what is the diameter bore size of the 1200 clutch master cylinder plunger? There might be a good used 1200 clutch master cylinder out there who knows

Martin

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the only question would be whether the clutch master (which only does a small piston in the clutch) could handle one brake let alone two.... just a hunch, but I doubt it

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hi Rodger

is there any other bike with a very big clutch master that you know of or even a brake master cylinder with a loose reserva thatI can turn upside down

Martin

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

sure don't.... sorry, but the master has to be matched (within some give and take) to the amount of fluid needed to move the pistons.... when I had converted our 1200 over to both brakes running off the front (and the rear going to the rear and the hack) I needed to change to a higher capicity front master, or the lever would go to the handle and not brake well at all

once again, you might try the USCA site, I haven't been that active with them for a while, but someone might have some suggestions, as it is sidecar specific

you might also try asking Doug Bingham at side stryder in southern California, orliberty sidecars for some suggestions or dauntless
http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

Eighties model Yamaha 650 specials had a compression release on them to make them easier to start. The release was activated by a small lever on the clutch side. Now this was cable operated, but my thought is that the smaller lever with cable could be used to actuate a remote or rear master cylinder. If you used a rear master cylinder from an 83 1100 it could be used to operate a caliper on the side car wheel as well since that master cylinder is designed to move enough fluid to operate two calipers. And if I'm not mistaken it would probably bolt right on in place of the existing rear master. The only thing to fabricate would be the cable stop on the master cylinder end. In fact It could probably be done without removing the rear brake pedal. That way if someone besides you rides the bike they would still have a braking system they would be familiar with.

Here is a link to a universal one on ebay that would fit the GodlWing handle bars.

It could be mounted on either right or left handle bars. But I think for ease of use the left side would be better as you could mount it between the grip and the control black whereas ont eh right side you would not be able to do that due to the throttle.

Basically this would replace the rear brake pedal. This would minimize modifications to the bike like moving master cylinders or adding mounting brakets and what not. Most of the mod would in a sense be bolt on. It would also be a fairly inexpensive way to do it. The biggest expense would be the cost of the 83 master cylinder.

You could position the lever so that it lay right below the clutch lever and could be operated simultaneously or with just a couple of fingers separately. I know yer left hand is already doing a lot but I don't think it would work well at all on the right side.

Anyway...just a suggestion, hope it's helpful.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

If you used a clutch master cylinder from a 1200 you would also need to adapt a slave cylinder asl well because the clutch master would not move enough fluid to actuate two brake calipers effectively.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Having thought about this a bit, and also knowing money is always a big thing for any products having to do with handicap modifications, I think to begin with a trike would be a better machine for you. If that is not at all possible, then you can get totally rid of the clutch and shift with this product. FlatShifter Performance Gear-Shifting and Automotive Products

Then to allow braking you would need to use a dual master cylinder such as this company offers. M&J Motor Company - Contact Us There is no photo showing a hand lever rigged up to a reverse eccentric cam, and I do not know how to draw one on a computer, but you can adopt a dual master cylinder such as this to linked brakes and use a hand lever to operate them with.

For a lot more information on how to set up a bike for handicap situation do a search for motorcycle amputee, and several very good information sites will show up.

Hope this helps.

Kit

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i would leave the front brakes as they are right now. and would build a lever with cable system to trigger the rear brake pedal mounted in the right handlebar aswell. you could apply both brakes with the same hand. in my 1200 i mostly use the front brake and its only a disk, i only use rear brake for hard stops.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Hi thank you all very much for the input had a look on the net and found a system for bicycles dual cables and some cable systems even with a split have a friend with an engineering shop we will start working on a system soon I have another problem but will start a new topic see you all there

Martin :waving:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.