Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

The clutch plates can be replaced with the engine in situ. I did mine- it's a bit awkward, but can be done. Usually hydraulic problems prevent the clutch disengaging, not engaging, but it may be worth checking this area out.

As with cars- some people can make a clutch last the life of the vehicle, whilst others can wear one out in 30k miles. it depends how it's been used (or abused!)....Steve

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

It sounds like it slips when the engine warms up and the oil gets hotter and thinner. It could be worn plates, but as Dennis and others have said- they should last for ages. Having said that, you don't know how one of the previous owner's may have treated the bike.
I would expect hydraulic problems to be more likely to prevent the clutch disengaging rather than engaging, as it engages by a series of springs or a diaghragm spring (in some cases). It's still possible a blockage could be preventing the full return, hydraulically speaking, but as it seems you can bleed it, that side seems ok.
One other thought. A mate of mine had his front brake lock on after he applied it. Releasing pressure by undoing the caliper nipple freed it and we later found the aged brake hose had started to break up internally and a flap of rubber was acting as a one - way valve. This would not be a regular thing like you are getting after warm up though...Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.