·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
imported post

I still need help i blead the cluthch agian it worked for about 15miles then started slipping again . I then i loosen the valve on the slave released presure on the line .. Then i took off easy on the clutch handle and rode it around on highway 40 miles without using the clutch handle it did not slip at all i speed shift without clutch handle ?? any sugestions??????

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

It sounds like it slips when the engine warms up and the oil gets hotter and thinner. It could be worn plates, but as Dennis and others have said- they should last for ages. Having said that, you don't know how one of the previous owner's may have treated the bike.
I would expect hydraulic problems to be more likely to prevent the clutch disengaging rather than engaging, as it engages by a series of springs or a diaghragm spring (in some cases). It's still possible a blockage could be preventing the full return, hydraulically speaking, but as it seems you can bleed it, that side seems ok.
One other thought. A mate of mine had his front brake lock on after he applied it. Releasing pressure by undoing the caliper nipple freed it and we later found the aged brake hose had started to break up internally and a flap of rubber was acting as a one - way valve. This would not be a regular thing like you are getting after warm up though...Steve

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,443 Posts
imported post

I think you still have some crud in the master cylinder. Not permitting it to move fluid like it should.

My advice, at this point, would be to completely remove the master and slave cylinders and really clean them. Then force some fresh fluid through the line (enough to really clean out any crud)before re-installing the hardware.

Like the brakes, there are tiny orafaces in that master cylinder. If I'm not mistaken, plugging the return hole can make the clutch slip.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

johnmac is right. The return hold in your master cylinder is probably plugged. There was another thread where the clutch started to slip when the engine warmed up. The clutch fluid expands from the heat, it cannot return to the master cylinder and starts to disengage the clutch. Focus on the master cylinder return hole.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
imported post

Hello I got it fixed no slippage yahoooooooooooooooooo.. Thankks all for all the help..Well two bike shops said i needed clutch from 5 hundred to 1000 dollors..I was going to rebuild master cylinder but i took off the mater cylinder cover when i took the sludge out of the master cyilner i plugged the return hole i put a neddle in it and it shot fluid up. it wasent returning it was holding presure on the slave cylinder. I then rode it about 30 miles and it ran awsome no slippage . Again thanks for all the help..I was on the right track thank you i missed a couple of runs because i thought i needed a clutch thanks all who helped...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.