Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the UK and am trying to source some new cylinder head bolts. They are impossible to get here. Does anyone on here know where I can get some from?
TIA

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
928 Posts
Why, they are not stretch bolts?
They are designed to stretch and return when the engine temp changes. That's the reason for what looks like heavy threads on the shank of the bolt. It's also why Honda recommends replacing them each time.
Tool Nickel Metalworking hand tool Cylinder Gas

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Huum,I’ve never replaced any,never had an issue.
Recommend ,or required a must,fine line or just owner option?

·
Administrator
28,955 Posts
Not a word in the Honda manual about replacing the bolts. I worked on Honda cars for a lot of years and never replaced head bolts.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
seemes like big Diesel engines require replacing but they torque to hundreds of pounds

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
928 Posts
I don't have my 85 maual anymore, but I know when I blew a head gasket, my dealer recommended replacing the bolts. I did the work but bought the parts at the dealer. Maybe it was their policy.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
So you have the head OFF and have it checked to be flat and going to use oem gaskets but before it was leaking coolant and now you are ready to put it back on and want new bolts but as mentioned above new aren mandatory for successful job.

·
Administrator
28,955 Posts
I don't have my 85 maual anymore, but I know when I blew a head gasket, my dealer recommended replacing the bolts.
Of course they did.

·
Administrator
28,955 Posts
He didn't do the work so he didn't really make any money other than the parts.
And made at least a 100% markup on those.

Reactions: Barney T Weasel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So you have the head OFF and have it checked to be flat and going to use oem gaskets but before it was leaking coolant and now you are ready to put it back on and want new bolts but as mentioned above new aren mandatory for successful job.
carnt get them in uk from dealers do u now eny dealrs in the us please. Bicke wos made in us 1987 thanks for ur help
Etv

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
If i looked correctly,they appear to be 10x90 and 10x11.5 flange bolts.i would think a hardware store would have them in 10.9 hardness.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
28,955 Posts
If i looked correctly,they appear to be 10x90 and 10x11.5 flange bolts.i would think a hardware store would have them in 10.9 hardness.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
They are a very specialized bolt, not just any bolt will do. He still has not explained why he needs new bolts.

Reactions: Bike...and Dennis
1 - 20 of 25 Posts