Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a 85 goldwing interstate 1200. When I drive it in the early cool mornings I get a noise when doing about 45 mph. It sounds like its coming from the fan. When I slow down below 45 the noise quits. I changed the fan with a used one. It still makes the noise but a little less. Its kind of like a belt or bearing squealing.

Any help will be appreciated

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome and Hello . Since you have swapped the fan out once already I would think thats not the source . The cam belt idler can make noise if the belt is to tight ( which could change with cool temps ) but that should be an RPM related sound more so then steady speed .

I would suggest you check the speedometer cable for needing to lubed .

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

Possibly the timing belt tensioners?

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

Is your speedo going south? Mine quit tonight but not before complaining for the last two weeks now that the weather is cooling off. High 30s, low 40s for you south of the boarder.

James

·
Texas Boy
278 Posts
imported post

I'm going to vote with others that it is the speedo. Mine used to do the same thing on cool mornings. It failed earlier this year and I haven't had a cool morning with the replacement to see if it still does it.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

My speedo did funny things every now and again and also made noises to match. I was able to sneak the small tube that comes with cans of spray lubricant past the grommet around the odometer reset knob. A few squirts of PBlaster and the speedo appears to be behaving.

I only did this a couple of days ago so I have no long term results to post.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

k1w1t1m wrote:
My speedo did funny things every now and again and also made noises to match. I was able to sneak the small tube that comes with cans of spray lubricant past the grommet around the odometer reset knob. A few squirts of PBlaster and the speedo appears to be behaving.

I only did this a couple of days ago so I have no long term results to post.
I will have to try this, it's dead but still does a death throws once in a while.

James

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
imported post

I drilled a small hole in line with the areas that need lubrication. You have to be careful not to get lube in the wrong areas or it will quit. I used silicone lube with a red tube as it is close to the original whale oil often used to lube speedos.
On the bottom of the speedo I also shoot up with white lithium into the area where the speedo cable meets.
To determine where to properly lube there are several articles on rebuilding honda instruments on the web.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

DBohrer wrote:
Disconnect the speedometer cable one night, see if the noise is there the next morning.
Good tip and simple. Rule out the simple things first. :clapper:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.