Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, I have a restored'84 GL1200, and want to install an original Panasonic radio/casette into it, to keep it as original as possible, and have been offered a unit but missing is what is described in the Hondaline manual as an "automatic volume control" ,(item #3 in the instruction manual),which is normally installed into the lower left fairing, I guess around where a CB would be fitted. My question is: will the radio work without it?...as in the volume being controlled at the radio head unit itself??..or do I need this "automatic volume control" unit also??.. can anyone advise please???Cheers,

Groutby.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

I am not sure, but i think the automtic volume control only works on aspencades because it is an electronic speed sensor, ur interstates use mechanical. i think the auto volume control on my friends aspencade can be turned on or off, it only fades the volume when you speed drive at lowers speeds.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for your thoughts William_86, I now know thatthe radio/cassette playerCOULD work (on my Interstate) without the "automatic volume control", but rather hoped that someone could let me know either way??...but hey...thank you!!

Cheers,

Groutby

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

the radio will still play but the volume will not get louder the faster you go - I can't even tell if mine is working most of the time since I don't use the headsets

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi Guys and thanks morram for your help, another question tho in regards to having no radio/cassette "auto volume unit"...for the radio to work, it would seem, according to the wiring diagram I have, that I would connect the BLUE taped 5 pin din (from the radio) to the RED taped 5 pin din (from the amp) bypassing the unit in question,....is that o/k to do???...
Cheers,

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

The Interstate does have the white/black trace wire in the wiring for the automatic volume control.

The radio was an option, and that wire is pre-run in the wiring loom.

·
Steve
440 Posts
imported post

I have a 85 Interstate and the auto volume control works fine. Bike was purchased with the option.

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

The auto volume on the GL-1200 only works on the outside speakers and then only on the Aspencade as it is controlled by the electronic speedo found on the Aspencade. The interstate wiring harness had the control wire in the harness as both the Aspencade and Interstate used the same fairing wiring harness. The control is connected directly to the amp and can be bypassed by plugging the din cables from the amplifier into each other.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Wayne, thank you for this, I thought a possible point of difference between the Aspy and Interstate, it is clear now...thank you !!...
Cheers,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.