Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Goldwing GL1200I
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am rewiring my gl1200I and I found some sort of either relay or rectifier inside the fairing and I do not know what it does. It has on it S5H-02 and its honda part 31700-361-008 . Now honda could not tell me what this thing does and all I can find out there is some call it silicon rectifier, but they do not say for what.
I took 2 pics, 1 being the 2 prong unit and the other of it in the plug and the wires it has. Brown wire goes into it from the plug on the inside side, left side on the farring, goes to the relay item, comes out on brown wire but splices off to 10 amp glass fuse then green and black wire that has 2 ports. Is this the 7volt init for the temp gauge and fuel gauge? I'm just guessing.
  • Can any one tell me what this thing does?
    20200419_133648.jpg
    15875271049493946697340884605884.jpg

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I am rewiring my gl1200I and I found some sort of either relay or rectifier inside the fairing and I do not know what it does. It has on it S5H-02 and its honda part 31700-361-008 . Now honda could not tell me what this thing does and all I can find out there is some call it silicon rectifier, but they do not say for what.
I took 2 pics, 1 being the 2 prong unit and the other of it in the plug and the wires it has. Brown wire goes into it from the plug on the inside side, left side on the farring, goes to the relay item, comes out on brown wire but splices off to 10 amp glass fuse then green and black wire that has 2 ports. Is this the 7volt init for the temp gauge and fuel gauge? I'm just guessing.
:geek:
That's a diode, only lets electrons flow one way (as per diagram on top of it)..
my GL1000 has two I think, has to do with the gauge circuit (?)

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Judging from the schematic it is a silicon rectifier (diode) that allows power to flow to the tail lights when in park ignition position but blocks flow back (no back feed) to the fuse when when the switch is not in the park position. I would call it the parking light diode.

2020-04-22 (2)_LI.jpg

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
Judging from the schematic it is a silicon rectifier (diode) that allows power to flow to the tail lights when in park ignition position but blocks flow back (no back feed) to the fuse when when the switch is not in the park position. I would call it the parking light diode.

View attachment 322064
The park light diode is under the seat. Don't know what a diode in the fairing would be for.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Neutral Light?

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
The park light diode is under the seat. Don't know what a diode in the fairing would be for.
Seems odd as the wire color is right as well. Seems all light related wiring is brown on the bike. It looks likke every year they were changing things related to the parking light/lighting circuit. What year Interstate is the bike? Also on the brown wire is the tee splice insulated? It looks bare in the picture,

·
Registered
1984 Goldwing GL1200I
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:geek:
That's a diode, only lets electrons flow one way (as per diagram on top of it)..
my GL1000 has two I think, has to do with the gauge circuit (?)
Would it be for the temp gauge and fuel gauge?..since I am rewiring the bike, I am using the schematics of the 1984 standard goldwing gl1200 ,..it shows a 7 volt item going to those gauges.. If so then I will know how to rewire it..if it's for something else then I'm stumped..so is it that 7 volt reducer ?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
I know all the complete OEM schematics for every year and model of GL1200 made are on the site somewhere, but I can't find them now.

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
Would it be for the temp gauge and fuel gauge?..since I am rewiring the bike, I am using the schematics of the 1984 standard goldwing gl1200 ,..it shows a 7 volt item going to those gauges.. If so then I will know how to rewire it..if it's for something else then I'm stumped..so is it that 7 volt reducer ?
No, it is not a 7 volt regulator, I doubt it is even original to the bike judging by the wires we see. What is the other end of the wires attached to? Using schematics for a standard is bound to cause you some confusion.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Nope, but a diode on its own does not reduce voltage, a zener diode clips the voltage at a specific point but that has a different symbol and normaly a heat sink

·
Registered
1984 Goldwing GL1200I
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, it is not a 7 volt regulator, I doubt it is even original to the bike judging by the wires we see. What is the other end of the wires attached to? Using schematics for a standard is bound to cause you some confusion.
Actually it was part of the fairing wire harness.. like I mentioned in another spot of this posting the one brown wire was coming from a plug that was on the inside left side of the fairing it's like a big plug it went up to this relay and then came out of the relay where there is a connector that they just clipped wires together and the one wire that was short brown went to a 10 amp fuse which then comes out to a female port that you can plug to Bullet wires into the other end of the connector event just kept continuing and went back to the plug that was in the wall of the fairing... This is why I'm just trying to find out what that thing does so I know how to rewire it because the schematics that I have from a book or more like a flow chart and I cannot find good GL 1200 Interstate schematics like the standard one that I have meaning the 1984 standard Goldwing GL 1200

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Actually it was part of the fairing wire harness.. like I mentioned in another spot of this posting the one brown wire was coming from a plug that was on the inside left side of the fairing it's like a big plug it went up to this relay and then came out of the relay where there is a connector that they just clipped wires together and the one wire that was short brown went to a 10 amp fuse which then comes out to a female port that you can plug to Bullet wires into the other end of the connector event just kept continuing and went back to the plug that was in the wall of the fairing... This is why I'm just trying to find out what that thing does so I know how to rewire it because the schematics that I have from a book or more like a flow chart and I cannot find good GL 1200 Interstate schematics like the standard one that I have meaning the 1984 standard Goldwing GL 1200
In an earlier post you mentioned that the diode was located in the fairing area. I noticed that the wires are fairly long. Is it possible the wiring came from under the fairing but the diode was actually mounted under the seat? Here is where Honda says that diode should be mounted on a 1984 GL1200. See below.

2020-04-22 (3)_LI.jpg

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
OK, I did find it. That is the parking light diode and the wire coming off of it with the fuse is for the air compressor, which an interstate doesn't have. I was looking at an 85 diagram earlier since I already had it open.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Registered
1984 Goldwing GL1200I
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That diod is the clutch switch diode. That one I rewired. This one is different and it was part of the fairing wire harness. This is the only item i do not know what it is.

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
That diod is the clutch switch diode. That one I rewired. This one is different and it was part of the fairing wire harness. This is the only item i do not know what it is.
I just told you what it is.

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
The diode for the clutch is smaller and has green/red wires associated with it if it is original. .

2020-04-22 (6)_LI.jpg

Number 1 wire should plug in the Park terminal on ignition switch.

Number 2 should plug in the tail lights. I can't tell exactly where from the schematic but it should be in the area of other brown wires.

Number 3 will just dead end as you have no air compressor.
2020-04-22 (7)_LI.jpg

·
Registered
1984 Goldwing GL1200I
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The diode for the clutch is smaller and has green/red wires associated with it if it is original. .

View attachment 322075
Yes..you are correct..it did have 2 different green wires..this one is larger, redish, markings of S5H-02, 2 prong with brown wires that comes off farring wall plug..I'm just replying to your comment..tofind out what it connects to is what I am looking for so I know I'll have to look at schematics and maybe Ill can find a bike with it where i can see hiw its wired..i didnt think of looking when I took it off 5 years ago.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Yes..you are correct..it did have 2 different green wires..this one is larger, redish, markings of S5H-02, 2 prong with brown wires that comes off farring wall plug..I'm just replying to your comment..tofind out what it connects to is what I am looking for so I know I'll have to look at schematics and maybe Ill can find a bike with it where i can see hiw its wired..i didnt think of looking when I took it off 5 years ago.
See above. We were typing at the same time.

Also it is possible both diodes mount in the same area. Of course it really doesn't matter where you tie it up to. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts