Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Welded the shock nount back on a LEman trike kit and now the engine will not do anything when the starter button is pushed. Checked all the fused and fusable link under the seat. The starter will spin when the solinoid is jmped but the engine will not fire. Forgot to un hook the battery before welding.. what did I burn out.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
imported post

Did you check the main fuse aft of the battery? The original fuse is a Dog Bone fuse.

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
imported post

How about the kill switch, you wouldn't be the first to overlook that?

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yes I checked the metal fuse by the battery and it is not blownI even jumped over it with a wird to see if it had a break i could not see. it still will not start. I checked the kill switch and that is not the problem.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I can hear the headlight relay engaging when the starter button is pushed. and the head light goes out like it is suppossed to.

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
imported post

It is probably something coincidental and not because of the welding. Being a trike it probably has had the sidestand switch bypassed somehow, I would check on that. Another possibility is the bank angle sensor.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

The bank angle sensor under the right side of the trunk has not been hooked up since the trike kit was installed. the wires to the sidestand switch have been reversed so that the bike thinks the side stand is up all the time. I checked it today by pushing in the plunger on the switch and the side stand light came on. When I let go of the plunger the light on the dash was extinguished. Thanks for your help. any other suggestions will be appriciated. I'm looking for an online electrical trouble shooting guide for this model.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Do you have spark?

Is there fuel to the cylinders?

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
imported post

You didn't mention what year model it is. That may be of help diagnosing it. If a later model 1500 check fuse #11 and the ignition/cruise relay #6.

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
imported post

Look closely at the battery, any bulging or signs of pressure or drips of liquid leaking from cracks or a broken seal along the top?
Just curious. :waiting: You'ld have probably noticed it by now if so but it's worth mentioning. :sadguy:

I know of a fella who once was welding on a centerstand after he shortened it, had reinstalled it and was letting bike rest on it to get feets welded on at thge right angle, had it well grounded, and had battery cables undone, but a spark found the vent tube I figure. Heard a "pop" that wasn't normal and then smelled a putrid odor. IQuickly stopped welding, investigated, cleaned acid with water and baking soda. Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

This ia a 1990 gl1500.. Where is the ECM module located on the bike.

I have not checked to see if there is fuel going to the cylinders but we did check and ther is no spark.

I also think the ECM is fried and will be getting another one to day at a MC salvage yard about three hours from the house.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

No spark is a good sign you fried the ECM. I don't own a 1500, but I think the ECM is under the right fairing pocket and you might have to remove the right false tank panel too get proper access.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Airplane, If I'm reading this correctly...

* turning the key to run lights the headlamp
* pressing the start button extinguishes the headlamp, but the starter does not spin

I'll assume that you've rechecked "reverse" and that you're in Neutral with a good Neutral light, right? (Personally, I'd suspect the diodes since they are very suceptible to spikes, but let's have a look)

IMHO, and since the ECM has no bearing on cranking the engine, you may wana hold-off a bit on changing those parts...

Let's start at the top (if you will):
1) Since you DO have headlights, the power from the ign swith RUN position is all good - nothing to test here :) (this also validates both the 30A fue on Starter relay A and the 50A dogbone at the battery -- FWIW, the 65A dogbone under the seat is only for the reverse system, but gets checked a lot!!)

2) With the key in the "RUN" position, will the CRUISE ON yellow indicator light (as controlled by the press-on/press-off switch in the right hand cluster) -- if this lights, then your Ign Cruise relay and the fuse for IGN/START/CRUISE is good (if it doesn't light the fuse and relay could be suspect)

3) To see if your starter button is putting 12V "out" when pressed; with the key in th RUN position, you can turn on your radio ... Listen at a pretty good volume, then press the start button. the radio should MUTE (works for CB too, if you'd rather). This test will identify that the start button in putting out 12V.

4) The Start button's 12V you verified in #3 will run to Starter Relay A as a small yellow wire with a red stripe...

4a) hold your hand on this relay A as you try to crank the bike (key on, in neutral NOT reverse, etc). If you feel this relay SNAP, then skip along to #5 (below)

4b) Poop!, so Relay A didn't engange :( The small Brown wire (also a red stripe) leaving Relay A should provide a ground to the starter Relay A. This ground will pass through a relay (the reverse switch relay) and also through the reverse diode assembly.

4b1) If you have a Ohm meter than can check conductivity through diodes, then you can look for ground here at the brown w/red wire WITH THE KEY ON... seems silly, but the Reverse relay switch needs to be pulled in to get you to ground (key ON, not reverse, Neutral, etc...)

4b2) If you do NOT have a ohm meter, or would like to test with a voltmeter, then watch voltage on this brown w/red ground wire when you try to start the bike (key ON, not reverse, Neutral, etc)... if this goes to 12V when you press the button, the the reverse switch relay, diode, or gear switch should be dug into.

5) There's a 5A fulse that couples the output of Relay A into the coil side of relay B on bikes with reverse... This relay is in a "rubber cover" just aft of the battery (kinda by the negative connection) the botom of the rubber cover is open so that can be rolled up to expose the fuse. There should be 2 fuses in this cover, check em both while you're there -- the one you're looking fo will have 12V when Relay A is pulled in by pressing the start button... (this fuse blows alot when people short across starter solenoids for some reason)

6) Relay B is forward of the battery at the bottom frame rail. Similar to the touch-test for relay A in #4a above, feel this relay to see if it SNAPs when you press the start button (Don't bother checking Relay B until you have Relay A working fully!)

Thick black wires carry starter-turning power into Realy B from Relay A, and then out to the starter. The coil of Relay B gets 12V through that 5A inline fuse from #5 above, which is powered off of the output of Relay A also (this should be Yellow with red stripe again). The ground for Relay B should come through the Reverse Diode Assembly (again, but different diodes -- this diode checks to ensure that the reverse switch is NOT in reverse)... You can adapt the ground sided testing from #4b using the Green (with red stripe) wire as the testin point for Relay B's coil ground connection.

Lots of typing, but one (or more) of these tests will fail if your starter will not crank when the key is ON, youre not reverse, the bike is in Neutral and you press the starter button.

Post back with where you fail and we can narrow this down quite quickly and get ya going again.

Good luck!

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

FWIW, the ECM is inside of the right inner fairing -- kinda is "hanging" from the right side of the fuel filler tray...

and I didn't see where I located Starter Relay A for ya. Starter Relay A is right there next to the dogbone fuse forward of the battery area - it's slightly larger than relay B since this has your main 30A ATC-type fuse in the side of it...

Is there any chanse that you've pulled a connector off of the reverse diode assy? It's waaaay to the rear on the right side of the bike,behind the reartrunk mounts (top frame nearly aft of the rear wheel, not tire top frame rail is all that's left that far back - white flat plug with what seems like 20+ wires) ???

... again, let us know where the power stops -- the cranking system and safety's on these 1500's can easily eat an hour for diagnosis...

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Ok. We got it going the lean indicator was not pluged in and it wouldnot start. Pluged it up and got it going.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Airplane

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

Airplane wrote:
Ok. We got it going the lean indicator was not pluged in and it wouldnot start. Pluged it up and got it going.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Airplane
What is lean indicator ? And where is it?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Yep... BAS. The cruise on indicator wouldn't been able to light.

Good news there Airplane... Now go ride the wheels off!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.