Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

dear brothers

i just got my new gl 1800 model 2005 ,i have one issue that needs your usual advice

the cruise control botton sticks inside some times ,any idea on how to disemble and clean it then re assemble it ?? also on what speed does it start to set speed ?? and up to what speed does it operate as i heard it is major issue for all goldwing

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Cruise button sticking is very commmon. Try spraying it with contact cleaner first, before thinking about opening up the switch.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

I leave my Cruise switch on all the time on my 2005. I see no reason to turn it off, also... without gettig technical...the circuit-wiring is in line with the alternator. In other words, if the alternator is not charging, the Cruise light will not come on. It's like an idoit light for the charging system.

I have not heard of a top speed the Cruise will be limited, but I believe you have to be going 15 mph or faster to engauge it.

Corventure Dave

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Gentlemen please bear with me because CRS is setting in.... I read an article lately and I thought it covered the 1800's but I can't find it. SO take what I'm posting with a grain of salt because it may only apply to the 1500..... disclaimer finished!!

It was stated the minimum speed for setting the cruise control was around 30-35 MPH. I tried this on my 1800 and it will not set if I am below the 35 or so range. It will also only set when I'm in either 4th or 5th.

It also said there was an upper limit to the speed setting, but that could be fooled by setting it in 4th and then switching to 5th and hitting resume. I haven't tried this on my 1800 yet so it may not work.

Do any of you remember reading this same article??

As far as the cruise control button goes, dust and other contaminants get into the button and cause it not to work right. My 04 has the same problem. Take your finger nail and slightly depress it (not all the way in) and then slip the finger nail off to the side to allow the button to come out at a higher speed. Many times this allows mine to come out. This winter I will be disassembling my switches and cleaning/lubing them when I have the bike down for maintenance.

Henry

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

Mine will set at 30mph (48km), don't know about an upper limit, the fastest I ever set it is 75 (120km).

Also like corventure, I never turn mine off.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

according to the manual, the cruise control will allow you to keep steady speed 30-100 mph. In other words, it won't engage below 30 mph ( I can confirm this from use) it also won't engage unless in 4th or 5th gear.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

thanks guys for your replies .....it was helpful... i also read in other forums and it seems u guys have better info than any other place ...i tried what you said and it is totally correct ..it only engages above 30 mph and on the fifth or fourth gear .... for cleaning issue i will try the contact spray you mentioned ..once again thanks for passing the knowledge

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.