Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Just wondering if someone could give me the pin layout of the 5 pin din female plug for my 1986 gl1200 aspencacde. I am looking to create a hand held mic to replace my headset. Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Clubby

·
Best looking member
3,109 Posts
imported post

Clubby. welcome to the best forum on the net. :D:DIf you go to Steve's home page underGoldwing tips,itshows the pin layout you need. Well worth a read, lots of information on his page.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks Chuck, just found this page today, was a member with gwrra but became a little tired of the people there. I found the diagram under tips you had mentioned dealing with 5pin din plug, I thought that something may have been amiss as it identified the plug as for a gl1500. I thought that the gl1500 had a 6 pin din plug as apposed to five.

thanks again

Clubby

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Welcome clubby. All the wings have a 5 pin plug, the one in the picture on the tips page is off a gl1500.

[align=center]
[/align]
[align=left]Only difference with the 1200 plug is that the ground pins are reversed, but it makes no difference as you can use either ground pin in the headset wire with either ground pin in the bike lead.[/align]

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

I was under the impression that the 1800 pigtail was different to the 1500s, pins the red plug set up in another configeration,so does that make it the same as the 1200s ?

welsh winger

·
Best looking member
3,109 Posts
imported post

As I understand, like FritzAl says the only change is the grounds, which makes no difference. The other is that the 1200 5 pin plug is hard wired to the splitter box, it does not have the plug on the other end. A balmy -35C Thinking on going for a ride,,,,,NOT!!!!!:gunhead::gunhead::gunhead:

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Since the plugs are virtually the same other than the ground placement, would an aftermarket hand held mic kit for a gl1500 work on my gl1200?

Clubby

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

clubby wrote:
Since the plugs are virtually the same other than the ground placement, would an aftermarket hand held mic kit for a gl1500 work on my gl1200?

Clubby
Yes it will, for the same reason that the J&M and all the other headsets for the Goldwing will fit all the models, right back to the gl1100.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
Welcome clubby. All the wings have a 5 pin plug, the one in the picture on the tips page is off a gl1500.

[align=center][/align]

[align=left]Only difference with the 1200 plug is that the ground pins are reversed, but it makes no difference as you can use either ground pin in the headset wire with either ground pin in the bike lead.[/align]

NAY NAY brother, DO NOT reverse the mic and ear speakers. The intercom microphone uses an isolated ground inside the stereo, and neither of them go directly to motorcycle chassis ground, to isolate them from electrical noise. The mic cable inside the cord has a separate ground braid for a reason - to isolate the mic circuit from external noise and from the speaker wire current.

The squealing that can occur in the headsets as a result of crossing these grounds can cause temporary hearing damage. It happened to me.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Concur with Dave, keep the grounds seperate. I crossmingled grounds to test and the difference is notable.

G

·
imported post

Hey Clubby, :waving:As goldwinger already stated, :clapper:welcome to the best forum on the net, and visit often. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Thanks to everyone who responded, you all answered my question, I will purchase the hand held mic kit for the gl1500 and give it a go.

Thanks again

Clubby

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

I'm in the process of doing my own custom microphone and headset system for our helmets. Needless to say I really don't want to screw anything up which is why I need some expert information here.

Here's the dilema:

When I click on the "Goldwing Tips" button at the top of the page I can find the pinouts for the GL1500 & GL1800 along with a very nice picture of the harness. This indicates that pins #1 & 2 are the ones to connect the microphone to.

I'm trying to follow the method outlined by Ron Wylie in the "Bikers Workshop" link http://www.goldwingfacts.com/DIYintercom.htm in which Mr. Wylie says the microphone leads are #1 & 4.

Can anyone verify which is correct before I go 'eenie - meenie - mynie - moe, this is the way I'm gonna go' and do major damage to perfectly functional electronics.

Thanks a million.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,910 Posts
imported post

Redwing52, thanks for that link. No point in reinventing the wheel when it has already been done.

I've been wanting to see about putting my Icom rig on my bike and that makes it a lot easier to get the job started :waving:

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

Thanks a bunch redwing52. When playing with electronics I alway err on the side of caution and with the conflicting info I really needed verification. I'm looking forward to trying out my project. Will post back here when I have it working. :action:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

This is from the MAIN part of this site ,under "goldwing tips "

cheers, Ciaran

·
Vendor
680 Posts
imported post

If you look on the back side of a quality 5 pin din connector the pins are numbered 1,4,2,3,5. That is where the confusion about the connections is at. All schematics use the 1,4,2,3,5, configuration. Most people do a 1,2,3,4,5, and thenthe project turns out wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

If 2 is the mic ground and 4 is the speaker common won't they both be grounds and still function if interchanged? Don't laugh. I took a year of electronics, but it was back in high school 40 years ago. Might be helpful if somebody has a tube type radio. But I can't remember much anyway. :baffled:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.