4, any one built the ones in the workshop pages of this site or ther owen

i dont listen to music through the headsets just the wife & GPS prompts

Thanks for any help:?

Glenn/uk

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

1. The wind noise differs with different headsets. Edsets are remarkably noise free and cheaper than JMs.

2. Edsets. Had JMs and Eds are cheaper but you have to buy them online as I doubt you will get them in the UK.

3. Haven't heard of Starcoms.

4. I read that article about the DIy headsets, but it's a bit beyond my abilities to make. I don't listen to music through the HS either, but I can tell you the Edsets are as good as any JM set.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

I am planning on building the DYi headset myself in the near future. I reviewed the article and it is well written and clearly presented. The condensor mike is a good idea. If you want to wait, I will go through the procedure with you. I am restoring a matching pair of Bell Star LTD IIs and will fit them withthe DYi's. Frankly the JMs are far too pricey.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

brojees

just finished my DIY headsets just need windsocks i went the dynamic mic way as i dont like batterys they soundexcellent in the garage and others that have got them

say with the windsocks on there just as good i used my old intercom

headset parts added dynamic mic and 5 pin din leads and best of all it cost less than £20 for both i will keep you posted

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

Glenn, can you give us details of the parts you needed, where you got the bits and so on please? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Actually the JM model I have here to play with is a dynamic. My prime consideration is size. I refelted and padded a Bell Star LTD II and I am quite interested in one of the subminiature models I can bury in the chin piece felt. I also have two open faces to restore and on those I would like the boom to be as small as possible.

I have found a lead on a subminiature electret mike element at an excellent price that I would like to try, I am traveling this coming week and will pick one up on the way. It uses a 357A button-cell battery which is mall enough to bury along with it in the chin felt to the side. I am not enamoured with the clamp on fitting and the Arai bulge is distasteful. A discreet connection can be glued into the lower ear/ cheek transition on the open faces and you can easily and safely place a bleedin orchestra in the lateral aspects of the chin piecess on the full faces.

BTW, I am trying to overcome my claustophobia I encounter with the full face helmets. It is really quite severe and trying them on in the shops has been quite the show.

I will not invest in a new highline model until I am sure I can use it. I was extremely fortunate in purchasing a matched pair of Bell Star LTD IIs with showroom condition shells for ~15.00 euros. They were sold because the felting and soft foam had been destroyed by a cleaning liquid the buyer used. The shells and styrofoam inserts though were perfect. Bell would not warranty them and he had stuck them on a shelf for ~25 years!

They were the proper sizes for my wife and myself and they match our Aspy. It took me a week of ordering materials, a day measuring and researching the patterns and then a day of cutting, gluing and sewing. Now we have a matched pair that look showroom new inside and out, custom fitted to our heads and still quite serviceable to determine if we can adjust to them!

I actually sat in my easy chair, listening to music and reading for a solid hour with my full face on last evening. LOLOL!!!! I am so glad noone is taking pictures!!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

willy

tried headsets today with a foampan scrubber instead of a windsock

wow if its this good now be even better with the sock only got wind noise when

hit by avery high sidewind blast but im very happy with them

things you will need

2 dynamic microphone inserts

2 din leads 1.5 - 2.0m long

2 headsets with boom miclike used for computors etcor 4 good mini speakers

headsets are good only if you can use the boom for your mic if not i can tell you how

to make one

a small soldering iron and some thin wire

2 windsocks

i got most of my stuff from MAPLINS they have a web site www.maplin.co.uk

if you can solder wires then its easy'ish to make them if you send me a e mail i will send you a diagram of how to put them together but i dont know how to put it on this page it will be tomorow be for i can do it for you

the hard part is the headset as i had 2 old pairs from myold intercomgood speakers

are the most importantbut they dont need to be to costly

i will try to give more info when i have more time

Glenn/uk

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
imported post

HEADSET??????

I gotta listen to theMisses when we're stopped......what makes you think I wanna listen to her when we're riding???

Kyle

Communication isn't what its cracked up to be.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Windnoise switch on her mike which you control, works every time.

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
imported post

Windnoise switch on her mike which you control, works every time

Yea but if she catches on to what I'm doing........:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

Amen brother!! Couldn't say it better.......

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Hmmm......

Well you could run a continuous loop in your cassette player repeating "Yes lovey" at appropiate intervals!!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

how can i post a wireing diagram on this boardim still working on it

so that i can show you all how to makecheap but gooddynamic headsets

for your 1500 if i carn'tpost it then send me a E Mail and i willE mail it to

yousoon as i can [email protected]:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
imported post

Head sets..........Intercoms..........DVD Players.......CD's..........Heated Seats......

Heated Hand Grips.......GPS........We need a new title "Electronic Gurus"

Man, do I ever have to get out of the 60's!!!!!!!!!

Kyle

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, and my collar's still blue!

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

glennuk wrote:
how can i post a wireing diagram on this boardim still working on it

so that i can show you all how to makecheap but gooddynamic headsets

for your 1500 if i carn'tpost it then send me a E Mail and i willE mail it to

yousoon as i can [email protected]:cheeky1:
Glenn, it needs to be with 600 pixels wide and under 100kbs. If you can't do it, why not e-mail it to Steve the wingnut and he will be able to make it fit. That way we can all see it.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Glennuk, I amm testing an electret mike with good results so far.

I am modifying a AMBICO V-0625 Lapel Mic with good luck. Retail is ~$10.00
Impedance 1kohm
Sensitivity -65db+/- 3db @1kHz
Response 50 to 18000Hz.

What I really like is that it incorporates a ON/OFF switch in the battery housing which is the size of a AA battery. Wind noise disappears when you switch it off, and if you are not actually on the intercom, Why have it on? As you and your rider are in close physical proximity, (Unless you have one of those new 20 mile long Valkyries!! Shyte TWo Wheeled TRAINS!!), a simple tap on the shoulder is enough to alert you to turn it on, or simply turn yours on and say your piece! Your rider will learn to turn her's on to answer you soon enough!

It has performed excellently in a fullface application and as soon as the weather breaks, I will try it open face as a throat mike. I also picked up a few dynamic booms which I plan on testing open face, but the throat mike idea really interests me.

Also I am playing with the connection. My test cable is really intriguing me, I used the wiring diagram here and led a cable out from my 5 pin din out to a wee box where I have seperate plug in points for the mic and earphones. I did this of course to make testing easier as I find different parts and pieces, but as I use it I see where it opens up possibilities for those times when you do not want a mike, but do want earphones.

Earphone fidelity is an issue, but I believe it will wind up being sourse limited. Being honest, our lovely wings are simply not concert halls. I am finding that the best earphones in the world are still going down the road at 70mph with a less then hi fidelity receiver/reproducer.

But as a friend of mine has promised me a pair of 32ohm studio ears to play with when he comes by next month, I will see.

Now if only I could figure out how to mount a decent spectrum analyser on my Aspy I could really narrow this down.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
Head sets..........Intercoms..........DVD Players.......CD's..........Heated Seats......

Heated Hand Grips.......GPS........We need a new title "Electronic Gurus"

Man, do I ever have to get out of the 60's!!!!!!!!!

Kyle

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, and my collar's still blue!

I would nominate Redwing for the position of 'Electronic Guru,' as he is a live wire:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Two things on GL headsets.

1.) These headsets (intercom junctions) use 180 degree DIN connectors, they are a special type that Radio Shack does not sell. They have 2 important features:

a.) the pins are silver plated and other important design features,

b.) they have rigid, thermoplastic shells

DO NOT use the cheap junk Radio Shack and 100 other electronic suppliers sell, dont use the ones with soft vinyl shells, they distort terribly and cause the female socket to twist and make poor contact.

The squeal that can result from a marginal connector can cause temporary hearing damage. It happened to me.

2.) Do not allow the mic circuit to go open, i.e. do not open it with a switch. See the Red text above.

Kill the mic by shorting it to ground through a resistance.

Dynamic mics have a better S/N ratio (signal to noise) and are much better provided you can have a clean power source. They are the wrong impedance for these intercom systems however.

I appreciate the effort yall are making to do this, its admirable, but youre in for some awfully hard lessons... BT, DT.:(Dont make and sell any until you have business liability insurance.

Dave, electrical engineer.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Dave,

From one electronic engineer to another, hello!

My electret experimentation so far has been positive. I did indeed note the squeal with the J&M I am using as a control, and yes the contacts were dirty. MY ears are still ringing!! Thank you for the tip though as I am playing with an optional mini phone plug detachable mike and I can shunt it through a resistor when detached.

After what you said, I put a meter on the electret mic and it is showing me a resistance while in the off position of 500K which I believe to be the backside of the FET. Should be enough though to forestall any short circuit woes. Any ideas as to the range of impedance required?

On the electret, sound quality is crisper than the dynamics I am testing and the size is considerably smaller which is a positive.

Have you worked at all with throat mikes? Dynamic vs condensor vs. electret and signal to noise ratio in general appears to pale when simpy dealing with open face wind noise and I am wondering if a buried thrat is not the answer.

And I have no plans of selling, I just like to play and have something unique.

Brojees, another electronic engineer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.