Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:? Hi guys, I am currently looking at purchasing a 1988 (most likely a 1987 since it is a 1200) Aspencade. As I started doing research, reviews started showing real problems, like lack of parts, especially fuel regulator, fuel injection parts, and a high degree of failure with the electrical connections.

I live in a small town in south Georgia, and my local Honda dealer won't work on anything over 10 years old.

Can anyone give me info or advice on purchasing the bike? It has 62000 miles on it. This would be my 1st Goldwing, however I have had many other bikes. I just don't want to have a bad experience with what I think is the top cycle.

Any advice, etc. greatly appreciated. You can also email me direct at [email protected].

Oh, the most important part..it is an SEI.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

if it is SEI it is 1986 there was no sei made in 1987.
if the bike is running good. and the price its good i would go for it. some parts are not available but there are replacements made from car parts that match the specifications. also there are lots of junk yards that will sell used working parts so dont worry about that if you live in the US.

welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

12oo's do have some problems for sure.... but you still see LOTS of them on the road.... it is a darn good bike!

the date issue could be becuase in 1988 Honda sold a LOT of 1200's that were put together from all the wherehouse parts they had left over when they started the 1500 line. I bought my "1986" interstate new in 1988.... got a good price!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

hay--- from swainsboro .
there are a few menbers on the forum that ride them. i think the one that is closest to you lives in augusta . goes by the handle of snorebaby on the forum. might shoot him a pm and ask him about it. wayne.
ps-- swing by some time too.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Hey jrs60371, it would help if you put your location in your profile. Lots of members and potential new friends, in that general area.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the World's best GoldWing forum jrs60371!

What you have already been told is correct. The only 1200 SEI was made in '86, so it is not an '87 or '88. There is agreat used GoldWing buyer's guide here on this forum. Here's the link for the GL1200 one.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/used1200.htm
If the seller doesn't even know it's really an '86, then he may not have cared for it very well either. Check it out as thoroughly as you can before you buy it. One thing I'd really look at because of the mileage is the stator. The OEM 1200 stators average about 60,000 miles before they fail, so this bike is right at that point. I know the SEI and LTD'shad a little different stator than the rest of the 1200's, so that may not be the case with them, but you want to check it anyway, andif the owner says it's been replaced, I would ask for receipts. The buyer's guide tells you how to do a quick check, but if the plug is still there, you can do a more thorough check with an ohm meter and an AC voltmeter. Here's a link to one of the many threads with the test procedure.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=52688&forum_id=1&highlight=testing+stator

Feel free to ask any specific questions you have as well.

John

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

If the bike is in reasonably good shape, don't let the age of the bike or parts availability scare you. Most all of the significant parts are available from web vendors or mother Honda.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks to everyone for your excellent advise and info. For those interested, I live in Dublin, Ga, halfway between Macon, Ga and Savannah Ga on I-16. Now only 1 problem left, my local honda dealer won't touch anything over 10 years old. How hard is do-it-yourself. I don't have much mechanic experience on motorcycles, but I am a fair auto mechanic. I'm just thinking what if's here.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

jrs60371 wrote:
How hard is do-it-yourself. I don't have much mechanic experience on motorcycles, but I am a fair auto mechanic.
If you're a decent auto mechanic you won't find the Wing particularly hard to work on. You will want to get a good motorcycle jack though if you don't already have one. :)

John

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks, I do have a jack.....and plenty of wrenches....now knowledge, that's another matter....do you know anyone in my area that could help me or possibly work on the bike. My local honda dealer won't touch it.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

We could probably help you more if you put your location in your profile. Go to "My Account", "Profile" and add your city.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

dublin --eh . not that far at all and a mech-a-neck too boot . you should fit right in with a old wing . or even a newer one. have to see if we can get togather for a meet an greet . wayne

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

email sent

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Sounds good to me....but the mech a neck is overstated on the newer stuff....I am looking at a couple of bikes right now....but could still make a quick run with the VStar

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome . Done eh ? I guess that means you bought it . Congrats. If you look in the " Reference and FAQ " forum here you can down load the service manual for use in repairs .

If you do not have a history of repairs on this bike make sure to replace the timing belts . This is an interference engine . Dont want a belt to let go and loose the whole works .

Look behind the left side cover ( battery cover ) and check the plug with 3 yellow wires . This is the Alternator connection . Its known to make poor contact . It is recommended to cut the plug out and solder the wires together and seal with a heat shrink tube . Cant mix up the wires all 3 are yellow . ITs a 3 phase system that is rectified to DC .

Flush the brake and clutch fluids , replace the coolant , change oils/lubes in the final drive. Its also recomended to clean and regrease the axle /drive shaft splines with 60% moly lube .

I am sure there will be more advice soon . Good luck and come back with any questions . It helps keep the GURU on there toes :D

Opps after rereading I see JLuvs has made mention of some of this . sorry for the redu .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.