Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 gl1200 LTD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 85 goldwing 1200 ltd im trying to take my side bags off can i put my directionals to my trunk

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
Oh, removing the bags permanently then? Sure, there used to be some aftermarket light kits for the corner lights of the trunk. Wiring would be pretty simple. Big question is; why are you removing the bags?

·
Registered
85 gl1200 LTD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, removing the bags permanently then? Sure, there used to be some aftermarket light kits for the corner lights of the trunk. Wiring would be pretty simple. Big question is; why are you removing the bags?
Dont need them trying for a new look for now where can i buy the aftermarket light kit?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Hang on to those bags and mounting hardware. You might change your mind in the future and that stuff can be hard to find.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum!!

Rayjoe

Reactions: Harleycote

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
641 Posts
That bike is way obsolete, you will have to search for some used parts or a nos kit if you are lucky

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
Yeah, finding the kits may be impossible. I remember some folks using the existing housing and somehow mounting a light socket in it.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Where are you from?

I have used Hyperlites in several bike and trailer applications.

Very small and easy to mount. Under the trunk would be nice. While the Hyperlites are extremely bright, they are not DOT approved as the sole turn signal so some small minded person of authority could take exception. I wouldn't worry too much but you make your own decision.

If you use LEDs in the rear, you likely will experience a rapid flash of the directional lights. To correct this, you will also need to replace the turn signal flasher with an electronic one.

Side note, if your state allows an ANTIQUE registration you may not qualify as most states require it to be substantially original configuration. Read your state's rules if you want to go this route.

Reactions: Harleycote

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,616 Posts
My little Piaggio MP3 scooter has very small round OEM lights on it, and IMO are not bright enough to get the attention of the people behind you.
So, I have been using the old fashioned, Arm and Hand thrown out to alert people that I am going to turn....

Those HyperLights might just the ticket to add to the License Plate on the scooter, because it does not have a single Flat Surface on it anywhere.

·
Registered
85 gl1200 LTD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the forum. Where are you from?

I have used Hyperlites in several bike and trailer applications.

Very small and easy to mount. Under the trunk would be nice. While the Hyperlites are extremely bright, they are not DOT approved as the sole turn signal so some small minded person of authority could take exception. I wouldn't worry too much but you make your own decision.

If you use LEDs in the rear, you likely will experience a rapid flash of the directional lights. To correct this, you will also need to replace the turn signal flasher with an electronic one.

Side note, if your state allows an ANTIQUE registration you may not qualify as most states require it to be substantially original configuration. Read your state's rules if you want to go this route.
Im from Massachusetts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts