Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

In the past I have seen threads asking about key GoldWing blanks. I called a GoldWing dealer by the name of Douglas & Frye, they are located in Sterling Illinois. They were able to order me a couple key blanks for my 2000 GL1500. The attached pic shows the part number for mykey blank. Please note: they told me that there is to keep blanks for that year, the differences which side of the key has the flat.

I thought I would post this so if anybody else was looking for key blanks they could find them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

The locksmith shop in my area makes keys for Goldwings for $4 each, but they don't have the cool logo on them!!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Yes nothing special about the bussness end of the key. The part that says honda is what is special!!
Wilf

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

The keys have a right or left to them...
Our 1989 trike key and the 96 SE key are totally opposite of each other, so be sure you get the correct blanks!

And don't say, "Just turn the key over", because they ARE different!

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
imported post

Here is what i found out. List..... Discount
88-97 TYPE 1 --35121-KW3-771 $7.93 $5.01
88-97 TYPE 2 --35122-KW3-771 7.93 $5.01
98-02 TYPE 1 --35121-MAM-830 11.78 $7.45
98-02 TYPE 2 --35122-MAM-830 11.78 $7.45
These are prices from cyclecentralpowersports.com
I don't know what they charge for shipping this small of item.
I don't know what the difference is between 88-97 blank and the 98-02 blank.

My 88 type #1 looks like the one in the pic galaxyhunter has posted

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

Honda Key Codes info

IIRC, the type 1 is a right cut and the type 2 is a left cut. If you can read the code off your key, it will start with an A,B,C, or D.

Those that start with A or B should be right cuts and a type 1.

Those that begin with C or D should be left cuts and type 2.

Now if you don't have the original key, if you pop open your right locked dash pocket, there will be a code stamped into the bottom of that. There may be 3 letters followed by an A,B,C, or D and then 2 numbers. The last letter and 2 numbers are the same as the key code.

To determine right or left cut, look down the key with the head away from you. If the right side is lower than the left, it is a right cut.

If the left side is lower than the right, it is a left cut.

A good locksmith should be able to cut the keys just from that code. A while back, I lost my last key and had to go to the locksmith. FWIW my code started with an "A" and he used an ILCO blank. On the head it has X84 ILCO HD74. These keys work better than the originals...

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hey Indianawantsme for that info. I have not seen those numbers before. It looks like I got charged the list price for my blanks. Oh well, it's not like we are talking big bucks here anyway.

I have seen other threads that people was looking for the logo style blanks. When I got a backup key when I had my 1200, I went to the dealer in Crystal Lake (Il.), They only had plain (non logo) blanks.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

Indianawantsme wrote:
The head of the key (the plastic part) is shaped differently and has a nicer resin type logo in place of the sticker used on earlier keys. The later key is much nicer and it will work on the earlier models.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Honda accord keys also work well and can be found at any key machine for $2-4.00 each.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

When we got our 1200 the guy gave us a couple extra keys and said they cost $18 each and they did not have any fancy logo on them. To me having a key with a fancier logo than my 1200 is like John Deere tractor people having JD underwear, sheets and other unmentionables. Had to say that to stick it to a friend that owns some of those $300,000 dollar JD combines and tractors. He has a 2 lung motorcycle but I knows lurks here.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

The 1200 key blanks come in 2 or 3 sizes I know there is an A & B & I think there is also a C. I have got wood grain with the H I paid 8 bucks apeice for 4 years ago from ebay. Baby Blue takes the B blanks.:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

unionjk wrote:
Honda accord keys also work well and can be found at any key machine for $2-4.00 each.
This is true. But the point of this thread is that there ARE some people that do want OEM keys. If you can shell out big bucks even on a used GW, then spending a few extra bucks for an OEM key is no big deal.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Indianawantsme wrote:
This is my '96 key, what the latter looks like :?

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
imported post

wow I haven't seen any like that anywhere here in the States. For a Canada bike only?

Thanks bootwing.. i think PO had the newer keys made for mine sometime before i bought it because mine looks like the 35121-MAM-830 in the galaxyhunter pic.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

My SE is a "Canadian Edition" but I'm not sure about the key :?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

monkeytrucker wrote:
When we got our 1200 the guy gave us a couple extra keys and said they cost $18 each and they did not have any fancy logo on them. To me having a key with a fancier logo than my 1200 is like John Deere tractor people having JD underwear, sheets and other unmentionables. Had to say that to stick it to a friend that owns some of those $300,000 dollar JD combines and tractors. He has a 2 lung motorcycle but I knows lurks here.
I resemble that remark................(you can get JD underwear????? telling me now that Christmas is already here????????? geez)

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Do you know if they have blanks for 1800's too ?:cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.