Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

They say a picture says a thousand words. I for one am a very visual learner. You can try to tell me how to do something ten times, but show me once and I get it! These video's looked pretty good, and the price seems to be good. Have any of you used these??

http://www.illustratedpowersports.com/

Thanks,

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

I believe the guy who makes these videos is Stu Oltman who writes the maintenance column for GWRRA's Wingworld magazine (imho his is the only column worth reading). He's very knowledgable about Goldwings. Never used the videos though.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I'm thinking about ordering a set. It would be even better if I could find someone locally to split the cost with and just share them. I'll have to think on it a spell.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Got them both for Christmas a couple of years ago. Figure they've saved me about $2500 in stealership fees so far. I'm a visual learner and having the laptop in the garage and following step-by-step is a breeze. Its also good for helping with getting all the tupperware off & on again.

Well worth having.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Why not a 1200 video??

They can't be that much more advanced are they? (JK)

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

WOW! I can't swing it right now, but definately on my wishlist! I used one of Rudy's tutorials on timing belts, and it REALLY helps to see the procedure on the laptop. Cool, and thanks. jimsjinx

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Why not a 1200 video??

They can't be that much more advanced are they? (JK)
Marketing. When they made those videos, the 1500 Wing was the most numerous in the world. The potential market for the video was much bigger.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I might add...I ALWAYS check the maintenance help offered on this site and will continue to do so as my first option. I trust the people here a great deal! These video's would be a good second source, or additional visual source for me. :hardhat:

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
imported post

I have the GL1500 set (routine and advanced). Very well made and easy to follow. The only complaint I have is that there are major segments missing like carburetor work or changing neck and wheel bearings. Some segments could have been more practical. For example, he used an expensive Honda tool to remove the fork bolts and admitted do-it-yourself-ers probably don't have access to the tool, but he never showed an alternative. The advanced disk wasn't as advanced as I would have like it to be.

Hope that doesn't come across as nitpicking because the items he does cover are well done and produced. I would recommend the series with the caution that it is missing some topics you might be interested in.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

well any video is a good video its like buying hanes books vs. another brand why hanes cuz they have PICTURES now with technology i see car repair manuals goina whole diffrent dirrection with online help and video support straight from the manufactuer

its a good thing really because now instead of trying to read the book and interpret it depending on the author of the book or what ever

now you can go online or get a dvd with a person TALKING TO YOU

ive got some dvd's from autozone on brakes and whatnot on cars and pickups and becuse i dont work on these much just having the human element involved is a major plus

when i buy my 1500 i would buy these dvd's in a heart beat

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I have the Illustrated Powersports videos (2 disc set) for the GL1500. They are invaluable! Very excellent instruction and covers all routine and advanced maintenance items. I've used these to change timing belts, air filter, remove body panels, change tires, carb sychronization, change all fluids, install progressive suspension, etc. Buy a set, they'll save you thousands!

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I have the 2 disc set, and they have saved me too many times to count. If you watch through the video's a couple times, you will have much more confidence when you start pulling the Tupperware off.

Ride safe,
Rich

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
When I first got my 1500 I hated the heel toe shifter. The bike would not up-shift without forcing the heel down hard. Definitely not the way HONDA intended it to shift. So I posted up a question on needing a set of stock drivers pegs. Stu, PM'd me and said he had an extra set gathering dust and I could have them, I just needed to send him my address! WOW I was blown away by Stu's generosity! He is a very nice person.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The order form lists model years up to 2011(?). Anyway, are there any differences between a 2010 and a 2012 for the purposes of the maintenance procedures on these videos?

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Never used these , I have Freds maintenence videos and I think they are great , well worth the money

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Never used these , I have Freds maintenence videos and I think they are great , well worth the money

I have the GL1800 Routine set from Illustrated PowerSports and they are very helpful for someone who is just starting to do their own basic maintenance, although I would have prefered to have gotten Freds DVD's because they cover a whole lot more procedures and not just the routine basic items, at the time the budget called for the Illustrated ones though. :sadguy:

lol I always keep an eye out on ebay and on the forums for someone who is selling their set of Freds DVD's.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I have my GL1800 almost 11 years now and have done all my own servicing and maintenance with the help of Fred Harmon's DVD set. The only issue I have had so far was when I sent the bike to my local main Honda Dealer to have some essential recall work carried out. Result was a damaged bike with parts reassembled incorrectly and the decision by me that my bike will never ever be worked on by anyone but me ever again. Fred's DVD set is invaluable as you can set it up in the garage and watch every task over and over again making sure you get it right. Fred shows you shortcuts to making difficult tasks simple whilst talking simple language we all can understand and if you are not sure of something you simply rewind the DVD back and watch it again. The box set is very well labelled so you know which one to watch for each particular job. I am an amateur mechanic but using these DVD's I have had my bike virtually to bits and back again. Doing it myself I know what has been done and that it has been done correctly. Working on your own bike you tend to take more care that a workshop mechanic who is on a tight time schedule and it also saves a fortune on service bills whilst being enjoyable knowing you did it yourself.

If you saw the mess my bike came back from the Honda dealership you would know where I was coming from. Wires from heated seat not connected and left dangling out of seat, dashboard wiring not reconnected, bolts missing from fairing when replaced etc. etc. Do it yourself with the aid of Fred Harmon's DVD set and you will know it has been done right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.