Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've seen several post about where to buy the actual paint from Color Rite but has anyone found a really close match avaiable at the local auto parts stores like NAPA or Autozone?

I seem to remember one of the trucks made by either GM or Dodge that was real close in color to the Wineberry.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

The biggest problem matching Honda paints is the fact that a silver coat goes under a candy; meaning three part paint including the clear coat.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Yup, it's a pain in the butt, getting it right is hard but it looks good.

i painted my ol chev sleeper with 2 coats of gold followed by 2 coats of diluted candy apple red, and than clear coated. It looked like a maroon until the sun hit some spots & the gold came out just a little. Cost a fortune for the paint & booth rental but it was nice.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the info, that's kinda what I was afraid of since its a candy coat. I know there are some instances where you can find a color that may be close in a single stage aersol paint that's what I was looking for.

I believe it was Chevy that had a brandy wine color on a truck a few years ago but review of the paint books doesn't show it avaiable in aersol either. Oh well guess I'll have to call ColorRite.

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
imported post

I did my 84 GL1200I with NAPA paint, base + clear and it seemed to be a good match :cool: Of course the can with the codes is not available at the moment but I am sure if you go to NAPA with the paint code they can look it up, thats what I did.

Cheers
Tim

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well I decided to go ahead and order the paint from Color Rite it'll be here in a few days, the bike is in such fine shape on the paint that I want it to match. Sure was the highest pricedspray cans I ever bought but since its urethane based candy coat I can understand why.Guess I can get everything touched up and ready for the upcoming season, Thanks everyone.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

just to eliminate things going wrong, Before you paint, use a blow gun to get dust off the whole area & surrounding area that your going to paint because your paint can acts as a blow gun while it's delivering paint & will put dust into your work.

Wash down all parts with the appropriate cleaner depending on the type of surface to wash away oils from your hand or over spray from wd-40 etc. These oils will cause fish eye and make you crazy. on plastic, if you used detergent & water, while wet you would see imperfections from sanding that will show up after you paint when it's too late. If you could prime with a high build primer & than sand down with 400 to 600 grit paper as your finishing sand, you will have a beautiful finish.

There is a billion tips & tricks to know & I only know the basics but I guarentee you that your prep work is the most critical part of the whole process, Painting on the color is the cigarette after a good round with the better half if your pickin' up what im puttin' down!!!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

A warning about ColorRite's urethane clear. It will go crazy and fisheye if you do not use thier "bonder" coat. I got a good matching paint from them, and the coresponding urethane clear.They failed to mention the bonder,and the clear was a mess.I've been a proffesional finisher for 30+ years and the surface was pristine.After redoing it with the bonder, it was alot more predictable. JMHO. Good looking bike,by the way! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for the tips, I painted a few cars & bikes back in theearly to mid 80s, I really liked spraying the Dupont Imron polyurethane, produced a very fine finish and held up great. I still have alot of my equipment from back then. I'll have the area cleaned where the painting will be done usually I'll put down thin gauge plastic sheeting, wear disposable painters coveralls and thinneoprene gloves. The gloves will be a must when the parts are being touched from prep thru final spraying, along with 3M cleaner. Every thing will get a good wash down before final coating.

Thanks for the tip on the bonder, I contacted Color Rite yesterday and asked for a list of all meterials needed to do the job and got those ordered. I'll possibly make a trial spray on a small piece of plastic before I get to the main job to see how it will come out.

Wish me luck! I'll post some before and after photos of the bike when I get every thing done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.