Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

new to the site, former harley rider looking for an old goldwing. found a clean 83 1100 here in town, cranks up and runs fine, but has a very loud rattle while the starter is engaged, and the rattle continues after it starts, put my hand on the starter and the noise feels like it is coming from whatever the starter is spinning (ringgear?) any ideas what this is? he is asking 900.00 for the bike, thanks, scott

G

·
imported post

WELCOME FROM MISSISSIPPI.
Just wait a little while someone that knows about the 1100 will along soon to help you.
There are a lot of knowledgeable people that dont mind helping.
Good Luck TOMMY

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome and Hello

First the starter itself has a reduction planetary gear built in . That could be worn and noisy.

The starter motor drives a chain up to a sprague clutch ( one way clutch ) which is connected to the alternator shaft . The alternator rotor is held to that shaft by a bolt . It has been heard of for this bolt to come loose . This would normally cause a noise once the engine is running as the rotor is not held tight to shaft .

$900 may not be a bad price if you are mechanically inclined/able to wrench for yourself .

There is lots of info here and plenty of folks to offer advice and possibly help if there close by you .

Has this bike been sitting ? Check the tires for age/ cracks , If its been setting up sometimes brake problems occur which require servicing the master s and calipers.

Also besides reading here I recommend this site ....

Randakk's

I wish you success and please visit with us often :action:

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

Welcome from Ohio!!!

My first wing was a 1981 GL1100. It was a lot of fun and a great ride. My problem came with finding replacement parts.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

take a gander over at www.nakedgoldwings.com for lots of tech tips on older wings

no doubt the rattle you hear is in the starter sprag clutch, however you could be also hearing a primary chain rattle from a rough ideling engine.... the primary chain will not, though, cause a rattle when starting.... (the sprag clutch is within the stator/alternator)

another probem may be that a PO turned the engine over with the bolt on the rear of the stator (a very common way to do it when changing timing belts) but when they did that, they lossened the bolt on the stator. this would cause a rattle both while starting and running

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

is the fix simple?, should i give him 900.00 and trust thats all thats wrong? i think he has been riding it like this.is hedoing more damage? all in all, we've looked at a lot of wings in the last week in the 1200-1500 price range and this was the best so far. cranks rite up and idles great, engine is pretty clean, would like to get it if yall think thats what to do. thanks, scott

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

900 is a great price, and being a fellow harley rider I know you know how to work on bikes... at worse you have to pull the engine and replace the stator and starter clutch, time consuming but very doable..... as with any "old" bike count on another $500 or more in just making sure evertyhing is right.... no matter what else, replace the timing belts, they break and the engine may be toast

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

Could very well be what the others suggested but could be as simple as a carb sync. These things rattle terrible when they are off. The 1100 I bought would barely run and rattled like xxxx but I bought it anyway and a carb rebuild and tuning took care of it.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

well, i was looking on memphis craigslist and came across an 83 parts bike about 3 miles from home, just got it to the house, just 75.00 bucks so i figured i should get it. eveything there but the rear wheel , oh and the motors locked upacording to him.im in for good now, still looking, might pull the trigger on the rattle trap posted above in the next day or to, just scary knowing there could be serious damage from him riding the bike in that condition.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
imported post

Please keep us informed on what you decide to get.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,955 Posts
imported post

The rattle trap may be a great buy. Whatever it is, noises at the rear of a GW engine are rarely very serious. But theyoften require engine removal to fix. Like somebody here already mentioned, badly out of sync carbs can make a 'Wing sound like it's on its last legs.

And welcome...I think you'll enjoy "Wingin' it".

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
imported post

the bike will part out for more than 900 bucks if everything else is in good shape.... find out what is rattling and bringher back.

Im riding an 80 1100 aspy with almost a 100000 miles... these bikes are almost indestructable if you keepthem up.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

83 is a good year and $900 is not bad... Personally, I wouldn't be surprised that you will find that the rattles you are hearing turn out to be normal... and a little tlc will fix it all.. lots of stuff at this site on getting this old iron going.. (and you don't have to go to the NGW site, although they have good info there too..:waving:)

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

got my new parts bike stripped to the frame, and i mean frame, not a bolt or nut left on it. all cleaned and catoragized in boxes and bags. Lot of salvagabe parts. pulled the rear cover off the engine, (it is locked up but i pulled the heads and letting it soak, it was still in time, just a lot of water damage and who knows what else) now i see and understand what the rattling is. looks like a pretty simple engine, very simular to the boxter sixes in an old porsche 911 (my otherhobby is restoring old 911's) I guess ill pull the trigger on the 83 rattletrap. at least now i have spare parts:) is it not possible to post pics in this forum? it 3.00 pm here, maybe ill be a goldwing owner before dark, waiting on my brother to get home so i can use his truck, will be in touch, thanks for the replys, scott

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

Scott its nice to hear you have made bits of the parts bike . Now that you see in there I am sure its a lot simpler to understand . Once you bring home the rattle trap , you will be ready to forge ahead with out any apprehension . I am glad you found that parts bike priced right for learning . You can not put a price on knowledge you gained in that disassembly . Well done . Visit with us often and ride the wheels of that bike when your repairs are made .:action:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

If you don't buy that 83 Rattler, let me know, I want to move up a year from my 82. I'll find 900 bucks and trip gas some how.

Find one our members near you that's got experience with the 1100's to go listen to it run, just don't let him buy it away from you!! :D:D:D:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.